WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Yup. This is just like the esbit wing stove I bought from Backpackinglight.com.

http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/prod...ategory_ID=728

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

I have never had any problem with using cotten balls/vaseline, even in very cold/wet weather. Am I just lucky? I use a woodburning stove, and if the weather is bad I will pack in a handful of tinder just in case. Once the stove gets going I can pretty much burn anything, wet or no.
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

KJ4MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    In a word, no...
    wuss. . . . .

Images

Default Not any more

Its too expensive to use it that way. Right now I am paying 9.70 per gallon (tax incl). That is too expensive to splash on wood for fire starting.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Symbol View Post
    Has anyone used this product by Ultimate Survival Technologies called WetFire?

I just bought some. Small, individually packed. A few of these and some matches will make a very light weight emergancy fire starting kit.

http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/prod...ct_line_ID=157
    it appears to be Esbit again.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    it appears to be Esbit again.....
    Yup. Sure does.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Kerosene or lamp oil work better than an equivalent volume of white gas. They both burn longer. Also, both are less volatile and less likely to end up singing your eyebrows or beard. Heating oil, diesel fuel, etc. - basically all work the same. If you have a camp stove that burns kerosene, you have a dual purpose fuel. If not, you'll be carrying any of the above liquids (heavy) only for starting a fire in an emergency. Refer to threads containing the words "fire starter" for better options for lightweight hiking (Esbit is my choice).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJohns View Post
    I have never had any problem with using cotten balls/vaseline, even in very cold/wet weather. Am I just lucky? I use a woodburning stove, and if the weather is bad I will pack in a handful of tinder just in case. Once the stove gets going I can pretty much burn anything, wet or no.
    Lucky? I dunno, but you have a skill that most would not be able to do in wet weather.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

This may sound a bit wacky but I use a spot of triple antibiotic (petrol base) first aid ointment. I get the Wal-mart house brand. Makes for a great fire starter when used with kindling. Will repel water. Also, good for chafing, and cuts, etc. I use to carry Vaseline, but this stuff really isn't that much more expensive and really helps on keeping infections down. The 1 oz squeeze tube makes for easy packing. I carry on every outing.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd use it if I was desperate. But it sure is dangerous.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Does WetFire have an odor?

It is not supposed to be Esbit: no odor, no residue on the cooking pot.

Have you used it?

Images

I usually stand behind my friends and say "you should pour some gas on it, then it will light" Hehe

Images

White gas is safe to use, as long as you know what you're doing with it. Which is usually not often the case. If you haven't done it before, you should really think about how much you really NEED a fire before using it.

Weary already put up one of the safer ways of lighting a fire with white gas. The other one that I have used with great success (with wood that was literally soaking wet) is to take any kind of container (styrofoam cup, coffee cup, coke can with the top cut off), pour about a 1/4 inch of fuel into the container, and then place a "wick" into the center of the container. The wick can be a paper towel of napkin, or even corrugated cardboard in a pinch. Place the container in the center of where you want your fire, build a ring of kindling around and OVER the container, and then light the wick. It should burn hot and steady for at least a few minutes, and be able to ignite pretty much anything.

Just remember the cardinal rule with gasoline: don't stand too close to the initial fire, or downhill from any potential burning gasoline spill.

Images

Dynamite is safe to use, as long as you know what you're doing with it. Which is usually not often the case. If you haven't done it before, you should really think about how much you really NEED a fire before using it.

Weary already put up one of the safer ways of lighting a fire with white gas. The other one that I have used with great success (with wood that was literally soaking wet) is to take any kind of container (styrofoam cup, coffee cup, coke can with the top cut off), pour about a 1/4 inch of fuel into the container, and then place a "stick" of dynamite next to the container. The detonator can be a cell phone or even a digital watch in a pinch. Place the container in the center of where you want your fire, build a ring of kindling around and OVER the container, and then trigger the detonaor. It should explode powerfully and colorfully for at least a few minutes, and be able to ignite pretty much anything except for some human bodies and long-expired ammunition.

Just remember the cardinal rule with dynamite: don't stand too close to the initial explosion, or downhill from any potential counter-battery fire.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Oh, how I'd forgotten how you crack yourself up Weasel!

Well played though.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Dynamite is safe to use, as long as you know what you're doing with it. Which is usually not often the case. If you haven't done it before, you should really think about how much you really NEED a fire before using it.

Weary already put up one of the safer ways of lighting a fire with white gas. The other one that I have used with great success (with wood that was literally soaking wet) is to take any kind of container (styrofoam cup, coffee cup, coke can with the top cut off), pour about a 1/4 inch of fuel into the container, and then place a "stick" of dynamite next to the container. The detonator can be a cell phone or even a digital watch in a pinch. Place the container in the center of where you want your fire, build a ring of kindling around and OVER the container, and then trigger the detonaor. It should explode powerfully and colorfully for at least a few minutes, and be able to ignite pretty much anything except for some human bodies and long-expired ammunition.

Just remember the cardinal rule with dynamite: don't stand too close to the initial explosion, or downhill from any potential counter-battery fire.

TW
    Weasel, if you haven't tried it, don't knock it. I only find I need to use the old "indian" trick every decade or so. But none of the 60 experiences produced anything like a dynamite blast. Rather it produced a long lasting flame that never failed to start a wood fire regardless of the quality of the wood.

I could elaborate, but I'm "weary" after having lead 11 high school sophomores today on a trail maintaining excursion. It was great fun, a very productive day, but truly "wearying."

Weary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++