WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Place to crash near Mountain Harbour Hostel?

Heading to Mountain Harbour Hostel Friday night (23 Oct). Hope to get there between midnight and 2 AM. Mary wrote me that the hostel is being used by a private group Friday through Saturday morning and is not available to hikers. I am not familiar with this area. Does anyone know of a place to throw up a tent that is fairly close to this hostel. Mary is shuttling us on Saturday and I wanted to get as near to the area as possible.She did say we could crash in the arena parking area if we wanted. Not sure where she was talking about.Appreciate any information.

Images

If I remember correctly, there's a shelter not too far up the trail, heading southbound from 19E. If you could leave your car parked at the Hostel, it's a short walk up to the trail.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Apple House Shelter 1/2 mi south.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mountain Harbour Hostel has a little fenced in area for overnight cars on grounds that campers also use.

There is Apple House shelter. In that case, you would want to park at Mtn Harbour (0.3 miles to trail) and hike the AT south of 19E to the shelter (0.5 miles). Vandalism occurs at the trailhead.

I believe Roan Mtn State Park (423-772-0190) is closed to camping now. But go ahead and check it.

The only other options is to stay at Braemar Hostel 423-725-2411 and Kincora Hostel 423-725-4409. And there is small motel up in Elk Park NC past where 19E turns.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

MH's little parking area is a very level grassy fenced in area. If you are good with tenting, and wanting to be close to MH, it is the next best option to actually staying in the hostel (above the barn).

I would not stay at the rat and broken beer bottle infested Apple House Shelter. The shelter and the area around it was a total mess when I was there in August and it is far too close to the road.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rpenczek View Post
    MH's little parking area is a very level grassy fenced in area. If you are good with tenting, and wanting to be close to MH, it is the next best option to actually staying in the hostel (above the barn).

I would not stay at the rat and broken beer bottle infested Apple House Shelter. The shelter and the area around it was a total mess when I was there in August and it is far too close to the road.
    I second the positives of staying in the grassy parking area. this is actually my favorite hostel -- even the parking lot is pretty.
    Lazarus

Author, "Hiking North Carolina's Lookout Towers" pjbarr's Avatar

and i second the avoiding both the apple house trailhead and parking at its trailhead.
    Whippersnap
    GA->ME 2010

Images

Default A place to crash

Thanks for all the imput. Much appreciated.

Id try and stay away from Apple House, being close to a road it gets a run through by locals and college kids so lots of trash and lots of critters, hike up a little further under headlamp and pitch on the side of the trail

I stayed there a few years ago when I did the section on Roan Mountain. I'd see if any space is available at the B&B, we stayed there one night and it was nice. Had a good breakfast the next morning, and they took us to Hughes Gap.

Setting up in the arena probably wouldn't be too bad either, but setting up in the dark there may be a problem. The place was hard to find, I don't think there was much light. I'd spend the extra $$$ and get a room in the house.

++ New Posts ++