WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

Default New A.T. Guidebook

In 2010 I will publish a new full-trail guidebook called The A.T. Guide. The A.T. Guide will have trail data, profile maps and town maps presented in a handy new format. Details to come at www.theATguide.com . Appalachian Pages will no longer be published; website sales of the 2009 book will cease at the end of October.

Author, "Hiking North Carolina's Lookout Towers" pjbarr's Avatar

AWOL, i'm looking forward to it. you should know that your Appalachian Pages has been on my bedside table for several months now and i pick it up almost nightly either loosely planning, or more often daydreaming of my thru-hike next year. i really like the incorporation of profile maps into the mileage listing and how thorough the details and maps are of trail towns. i'm looking forward to the new version, and what i expect will be the book i choose to take along on my thru-hike.

when in 2010 will the new edition be available?
    Whippersnap
    GA->ME 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Awol2003 View Post
    In 2010 I will publish a new full-trail guidebook called The A.T. Guide. The A.T. Guide will have trail data, profile maps and town maps presented in a handy new format. Details to come at www.theATguide.com . Appalachian Pages will no longer be published; website sales of the 2009 book will cease at the end of October.
    I could not get the link above to work, but it does work when I type http://www.theatguide.com/ in my browser. Hmmm . . . maybe this link will work.

Images

NICE! I think I'll really like the changes. Been using Appalachian Pages since they came out, this looks like it will be even better. Placed my order already.

You're right, the perforations, while a great idea, didn't work too well. I ended up using a razor blade to score the pages I wanted to tear out, should work just as well without the perforations.

Congratulations and best of luck with what looks to be a giant step forward.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pjbarr View Post
    AWOL, i'm looking forward to it. you should know that your Appalachian Pages has been on my bedside table for several months now and i pick it up almost nightly either loosely planning, or more often daydreaming of my thru-hike next year. i really like the incorporation of profile maps into the mileage listing and how thorough the details and maps are of trail towns. i'm looking forward to the new version, and what i expect will be the book i choose to take along on my thru-hike.

when in 2010 will the new edition be available?
    Thanks. The book should ship mid-January.

Images

why the change? makes me question why i should back a book. good luck with it. you've been good to me (snickers and sardines, i didn't forget). i think ill just use my old book to finish though.
    Take Care
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    why the change? makes me question why i should back a book. good luck with it. you've been good to me (snickers and sardines, i didn't forget). i think ill just use my old book to finish though.
    Take Care
    KK
    Good question, Karl.
    There's two changes, really. For one, there's the end of one book and the start of another. That is simply a personal decision, similar to the change-of-job decisions that we all struggle with.
    Secondly, there's a change of format and content. Those who have both 2008 and 2009 App Pages know that there was a substantial change between the two. The upgrade from App Pages 2009 to the The A.T. Guide 2010 is no less substantial. That's also the best answer I can give to the "why back it" question; you can be assured that I'm going to work diligently on it.

Will the elevation profiles and distances be set to the same scale throughout the book? It seemed as though in the AP guide the scale would change from one page to the next often leading me to over/under-estimate certain climbs and descents. Maybe I am incorrect in this reading but it sure seemed that way.

Also, about when will the southbouth pre-order be available (if at all)?

-Donnie

Images

The scale was consistent in App Pages and will be in The AT Guide. The new book will cover fewer miles per day, so that the profile will show even greater detail, and there will be horizontal gridlines to give a better read on elev changes. The SOBO book pre-oreders will start in a couple of weeks, and that book will ship in Feb.

Images

Good question, Karl.
    There's two changes, really. For one, there's the end of one book and the start of another. That is simply a personal decision, similar to the change-of-job decisions that we all struggle with.
    Secondly, there's a change of format and content. Those who have both 2008 and 2009 App Pages know that there was a substantial change between the two. The upgrade from App Pages 2009 to the The A.T. Guide 2010 is no less substantial. That's also the best answer I can give to the "why back it" question; you can be assured that I'm going to work diligently on it.
    TY for your answer. send me a copy. ill tell you what i think. good luck on your new book.
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Best of luck with the new, revised adventure. It's got to be a labor of love, that you can hopefully at least break even on.

Images

I have to say, I'm sad you won't be publishing Appalachian Pages anymore- I love it. I had the 2007 edition (which is so marked up and dogeared...), and I bought the 2009 a month ago, and just like PJbarr said, it's always next to my bed (I also carry it in my purse), and I totally rely on it. But I'm glad to hear you're coming out with something new! Good luck.

Images

Though I don't know if I'll get the new guide- will it be really big with all the extra data? (And I'm too attached and used to Appalachian Pages)

Will the guidebook be available in electronic form for those of us who carry bookreaders?

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Though I don't know if I'll get the new guide- will it be really big with all the extra data? (And I'm too attached and used to Appalachian Pages)
    Just judging from the info on the new website, it looks like the size is about the same, just oriented in a landscape fashion rather than portrait. The site says 5.25" x 8" and 212 pages. My 2009 Appalachian Pages book is 8" x 5" and 181 pages. I guess the extra 31 pages (16 sheets) would make it marginally heavier, if the paper weight (thickness) is constant.

Images

Somehow I didn't think to look on the site for size- thanks tripp. (ShelterLeopard is moving very slowly today and is not thinking very clearly. Leopards get very tired if they don't get enough sleep.)

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    Just judging from the info on the new website, it looks like the size is about the same, just oriented in a landscape fashion rather than portrait. The site says 5.25" x 8" and 212 pages. My 2009 Appalachian Pages book is 8" x 5" and 181 pages. I guess the extra 31 pages (16 sheets) would make it marginally heavier, if the paper weight (thickness) is constant.
    Oops - need to correct myself. 2009 AP book is 192 pages, not 181, so it looks like the new guide will be 20 pages (10 sheets) larger.

I have seen somewhere -- either on this site or on the Appalachian Pages site -- a chart comparing the three guides. This would indicate how the size of this new guide compares to the other two as well, as far as dimensions and number of pages. Anybody know where that chart is?

Images

Thumbs up

Best of luck with the change-over, Awol. I'll be looking forward to getting a copy of the new-and-improved version. I use my current one constantly, both for planning and for hiking.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Default Appalachian Pages

Great book with plenty of information. I carry it on all my hikes. I gave my 2008 copy to a friend and he is now marking off the pages as he completes a section. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to getting the new book.

:banana I think I am out of the loop...

So is this to be used as a "better" version to the Thru-hiker handbook? I am looking to take a thru-hike starting mid-april and looking for the best possible guide... is this is? And only planning on taking one such guide... or should I take several.....

Thanks for the info~
    Big A

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++