WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Shoes for camp and Town

Hi everone i got a nice pair of sandals for camp on short hike don't think they will hold up on a long Thur-Hike. I was looking at some shoes from campmor one call Acorn Fleece Scuff the other is by north face call NSE tent mule 2 down slippers the only drawback
    is i don't they would be any good fot town wear. What to you guys use for camp and town like to find a pair that would work for town and camp too.

Thank

Images

Crocs. I guess they're old school by now.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Journal Entries
    Images

Anything for town is fine - you are over thinking it. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    Hi everone i got a nice pair of sandals for camp on short hike don't think they will hold up on a long Thur-Hike. I was looking at some shoes from campmor one call Acorn Fleece Scuff the other is by north face call NSE tent mule 2 down slippers the only drawback
    is i don't they would be any good fot town wear. What to you guys use for camp and town like to find a pair that would work for town and camp too.

Thank
    i use the shoes i hike in. just don't tie the laces. or go barefoot. no need for "camp shoes"

Garlic
    Images

Another vote for no camp shoes. Carrying camp shoes was a mistake for me and it took about 350 miles to figure it out.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Default camp shoes

My vote is for crocs or croc knockoffs. They are cushiony, stay on your feet better than flip-flops, very light, and don't absorb water during fords. Having camp shoes also allows more time for your hiking shoes to dry out. But I'm not strong and manly like Lone Wolf - he goes barefooted through snow and ice and on hot pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i use the shoes i hike in. just don't tie the laces. or go barefoot. no need for "camp shoes"
    Yeah, if you think you need Crocs, what you really need is better hiking shoes.

2010 complete

I never had camp shoes until I added crocs to my gear for the water in Maine. It's a nice added benefit. crocs are super light.

I carried a pair Waldies on my thru, a Crocs type shoe that are a ounce or two lighter than Crocs. The cushioning they offered was especially helpful in town and in camp on those many days my left heel hurt like heck - a plantar fasciitis type of pain. They were great for fording rivers as well.

I'd recommend wearing the trail runners, hopefully you're using these, in towns. The "townshoes" are always bulky, heavy and excessive. Good Luck!

Images

Croc want a be's when weight is not an issue or my hiking shoe. Barefeet in the past until I got my trail name.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

Dollar General's version of Crocks. Six bucks, lighter and more comfortable. Hold up well.

i either use crocs or teva sandals. i like to carry them because it is nice to be able to get out of your hiking boots/shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post

Thank
    Birkenstock sandals. I use them as an in camp/ in town shoe. They're so comfortable after boots!!! And they still look a tiny bit better than boots in town.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Columbia sandals that were made to hike in. I have actually hiked in them over 100 miles, not all at once. I kinda justify the little extra weight as they're back up shoes. I've tried flip-flops and bare foot I keep comming back to my sandals

Images

I'll throw my vote in for Crocs too.
    I find them so comfortable that they've become my everyday, around the house, shoe. I still use them backpacking too as my camp shoe.

Images

On of the nice things about crocs is that they easy to clean- in the rain, I walk around with my rain pants covering my Birks, because they take a while to dry, and they get gross when they're wet. But I still love 'em!

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

what about chacos, that what i plan on using.......or are these to heavy of a sandal to carry
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

another vote for crocs.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Yes, crocs or croc knock-offs. Add a section of velcro one wrap over each ankle strap for safe and secure river crossings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++