WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: trekking poles

Storyteller
    Images

Default trekking poles

I know Leki poles seem to be the standard, but what I am wondering is what about them makes them worth so much more than some store brand poles, or ones like the Eddie Bauer line sold in Target.

I have been using cheap ones from Bass Pro, and they have worked fine. But every time I go in an outfitters, I find myself checking out the Lekis and wondering what I might be missing.

So what makes them worth around 6-to-10 times (depending on model) the price of the BP poles or other lower cost ones? And is there a good middle alternative out there that is a step up from what I am using but not as expensive as Lekis?

Images

No comment on Leki poles. My standard advice is to check out PacerPoles. Switched from traditional straight poles about 4 years ago, will not go back.

Unique design is much more comfortable for all-day hiking, keeps your wrist in a more natural position. Plus it does not rely on your wrist and strap to transfer force. Excellent for downhill, uphill, and level hiking alike. Easier to accurately place the tip of the pole, so fewer incidents of jambing it between rocks or roots (less chance to bend the pole). Highly recommended.

Do yourself a favor and check them out.

http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/

Images

nothing....
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Leki
    1. Strength....nothing else meets ANY standard.
    2. Quality
    3. Service...and warranty.

Just the Best.

I saw a lot of people using other stuff on the trail i.e., bamboo poles, sticks, cheap Wal-mart stuff.

Most of them were crying.............

I've never owed Lekis, but I have heard some complaints by Leki users. The most common being that the locking mechanism may fail. But as others have stated, I also hear they have great customer service.

I use Black Diamond trekking poles. They use a different type of locking mechanism. I love them!!!

Leki is a great company and they employ German engineering, you can't beat that. I own Leki's and REI's hiking poles and I think (of course my opinion and it doesn't mean much) the Leki are much superior and I'm a big fan of REI's products.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I am not a fan of Lekis. I would say go with the Black Diamonds. They use a flick-lock system and its alot easier to adjust on the fly and they have never crashed on me like every Lekis I have ever used. I am a bigger guy (180-190lbs) and the Lekis collapsed on me everytime I put some weight on them. But dont get any gear just because someone tells you to, get whatever works best for YOU.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    I am not a fan of Lekis. I would say go with the Black Diamonds. They use a flick-lock system and its alot easier to adjust on the fly and they have never crashed on me like every Lekis I have ever used. I am a bigger guy (180-190lbs) and the Lekis collapsed on me everytime I put some weight on them. But dont get any gear just because someone tells you to, get whatever works best for YOU.
    ditto... although I'd say I'm not a fan of twist-lock poles overall,,, had too many collapses. Black Diamond flick-lock's rock!!

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I was given a new pair of Carbon Fibre Lekis. 10 miles in, I snapped one of them.

I used a pair of Walmart $15 poles for 500mi no problem.

Now I'm on blackdiamond flick locks because I require hiking poles for my tent. The locks are hard to beat.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Leki is a great company and they employ German engineering, you can't beat that. I own Leki's and REI's hiking poles and I think (of course my opinion and it doesn't mean much) the Leki are much superior and I'm a big fan of REI's products.
    FWIW, the REI trekking poles are made for REI by Komperdell. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I also like my BD poles. I like the flick locks also, and they seem to be alot quieter than the twist lock mechanism.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

Note: I have seen some flip lock poles at WalMart, but I don't recall the brand. They were $12 or $13 each.

Images

i have the carbon fiber Lekis...they're great...never had a problem!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

I've seen too many Leki's break, and the locking mechanism fail. Definitely NOT worth the money. You are paying for the name and fame. I favor a more sturdy pole. The Tracks Sherlock Staff in particular, having used the same two poles for ten years. Adjustable length, universal camera mount, rubber foot/spike tip. A very cool tool!

http://www.trackspoles.com/

Available from Campmor:
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80371
    Faarside aka WhiteHorse

"... The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep... Miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    .......My standard advice is to check out PacerPoles.......
    I've seen these in person and had the opportunity to handle a pair of them. Very well made and much more comfortable than stardard poles. I'm seriously considering the notion of getting a pair in the spring. They used to be available from ULA, do you have to order direct from PacerPole now?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I've seen these in person and had the opportunity to handle a pair of them. Very well made and much more comfortable than stardard poles. I'm seriously considering the notion of getting a pair in the spring. They used to be available from ULA, do you have to order direct from PacerPole now?
    Yes, I got mine from Brian at ULA, but I don't think he is carrying them on his site anymore. I did have to order a new set of tips for mine recently, had no problems or delays dealing with the company in GB. Excellent service.

Garlic
    Images

I think the Lekis are so popular because of their customer service and people have brand loyalty. I saw them at trail days one year and they took my poles for a few minutes and they came back looking like new, maybe even better with some better-designed parts. But I'm no big fan of theirs either. I don't think their joint and locking mechanism is reliable enough. Even great customer service doesn't help when you're days or weeks away from an outfitter and the thing breaks.

I think the BD flick lock is the best around. I got some Komperdell carbon poles on sale and I think they're lasting better than Lekis, too, to my surprise.

If you need parts on the AT (like new tips), it's easiest to find Leki parts at local outfitters you're likely to run across. If you need an adjustable pole that you might need to repair on the trail, you're probably best off with Leki.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Stir Fry

Try making your own out of graphit golf shaft. 4 oz each. Most pro shops have discontenued shafts for under $10. Use any replacement tips. Good quality grips,again from golf shop. They usualt will put them on at no cost if you buy them from there shop. Expect $25, $30 for a set.

I agree with what others have posted about the failing of the twist-locking mechanism of the Lekis and the solidness of the flick-lock of the Black Diamonds.

I have had both Lekis and Black Diamonds and until Leki goes with something other than the twist lock they will never get my business.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++