WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default What is it that makes us go hiking...even in the rain?

Its another rainy day here in my back yard, yet my plans for a day hike in SNP were still on.
    I know thru hikers expect mother nature to deal them all kinds of weather during their 4-6 month long journey.
    That too is a question of why anyone would want to endure going days at a time without showering or changing clothes, and at times hike in wet socks and shoes on a muddy trail.
    In my case though, I had a choice of staying put at home out of the inclement weather today.

So what makes us go hiking in the rain, the snow, the bitter cold, away from the creature comforts of our own home ?

My answer is below.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

i only hike in the rain if i'm caught in it.

I did five in the rain today and it was all pretty miserable.

And the fact that it was all in Hanover didn't help much.

Images

I just section hiked Erwin, TN to Hot Springs, NC last week 10/11 - 10/16 and it rained 4 1/2 days of the six. I saw that the weather forecast had changed a couple of days before I left and I went anyway. I had already taken the time off work and had myself prepared to go. I could have easily backed out but I said what the hell, besides it's always better than being at work, at least that was what I was telling myself on day 4 when it seemed like a monsoon had set in on me.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just try not to think about it, wear a good cap and head gear & keep going, if it gets really bad I tarp up and wait it out.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

It's a sickness.

As I now have a real rain jacket, I too hike in the rain on purpose. And I love it,,,,, now! Improper rain gear, now that is a different story.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Journal Entries
    Images

7.5 Days Of Rain Out Of 9 Days On My Recent Section From Franklin To Clingman's Dome. Fun Fun Fun. Now That Is It Over It Is Fun But It Was Pretty Miserable At The Time.
    Beas
    BEAS

"Maintain a Rigid State of Maximum Flexibility"

I don't begin in bitter weather.

I do a little weather forecasting, in fact.

I listen to the weather often at least 10 days in advance, looking at satellite photos and animation. I look as satellite photos of moisture.

I listen to weather radio: marine weather and weather for airline pilots, for lower air and upper air.

I adjust my pack, by reasonably anticipated weather changes, and, by season and by recorded weather for the area, especially so, if a region I have not hiked.

Extreme example, flash floods in slot canyons of The Arizona Strip. Rain many miles away, flash floods in the "desert".

I look at the cloud formations in the sky while outside hiking.

I feel air pressure changes. Other people use an altimeter as a barometer.

I pay attention to abrupt temperature changes. I set up shelter and get in it.

That said, I'll hike in a warm rain. That's fun. Thunder and lightning, no.

In western Washington State, I used to hike in cold rain wearing a Filson shirt and/or double layered ("pearl grey duck" outside and "gold" inside) British Ventile "mountaineering" jacket I got at REI on sale. I loved it.

Mud? Sometimes I wear my water crossing footwear.

One time I wore Seal Skinz "socks" in my boots.

I even have Warmers booties I haven't used, except for kayaking.

There are some "trails" I would consider kayaking.

I don't know how thru-hikers can stand it. Maybe they take a "zero day"?

Images

We're crazy and out of our minds, that's why we do what we do.
    At least that's what most of my friends think and family members are just too polite to say it. I bet your friends think so too!

i went hiking in the rain last week to test my new rain gear it worked for the first 10 miles bu even with the vents i managed to get a little wet under the arms
    GRAVY

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    We're crazy and out of our minds, that's why we do what we do.
    Damn straight!

So is it a good thing, or a bad thing, that i am WAITING for a bad weather day to get out and do 5 miles? I have new raingear, see, and I just thought...
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

KJ4MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    We're crazy ... that's why we do what we do.
    A fine madness.

Compare perfect hiking days to the deluges and, hey, I'll take perfection. But, regardless of weather, I'll take the remote outdoors to just about anything else.

Images

Its like Cabin Fever sometimes you just have to go. You buy gear that is suppose to make you comfy and you want to prove to your self that you spent the money wisely. Besides sometimes the inclement weather can make a hike even more fun.

Images

While I enjoy great weather to hike in, a rain filled hike is still looked forward to. It is all part of the overall hiking experience. Spent the weekend up in Grayson Highlands several weeks ago in lots of rain. We stopped in a shelter for lunch and found it filled with hikers waiting out the rain. after lunch we proceeded on our way. Having good gear for the occaison helps, I found that my rainjacket needed a new coating to keep it waterproof. A tarp to cook and lounge under and a dry sleeping bag made for a dry warm night.

Call me nuts maybe, but the rain is no reason for me to not go out. It brings a inner reflection that is different from those of great weather. I also like to hike in the snow.
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

i love the rain ... but then again ive never hiked 20 or so miles in it but hey its a free shower right :P haha

FIRST POST EVER

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
    i love the rain ... but then again ive never hiked 20 or so miles in it but hey its a free shower right :P haha

FIRST POST EVER
    to whiteblaze!

maybe it's b/c I too am from Western Washington State, but light rains don't bother me. I'd much rather hike in a light rain than in 80 plus degrees heat--as I get older the heat really slows me down. A light rain often means cooler temps.

Thundershowers--I do notice those. I read once that on the AT, the majority of thundershowers don't start till after 4 pm. So, when I see those thunderheads sailing my way, I try to get to shelter or set up my tent by 4. I love being nice and dry in a shelter when the skies open up and rain pours down!

Garlic
    Images

I never thought about this. I think I only hike in wet weather if I need to get somewhere, whether on a thru hike or around town. I seldom do it for enjoyment. Now the snow is a different story--that can be downright pretty.

But there are many different types of rain, and I can think of several rainy days that would be very welcome. On my two hikes across Montana and Idaho, wildland fire was a real threat, if not to personal safety, then to continuing the hike. A nice cool rainy day without lightning would have been the most welcome day imaginable. I can remember one shower that cooled off a very hot day and the rain drops were beading off the lupine leaves--one my best memories of the hike.

There are also types of rain that can be extremely hazardous, like in the slot canyons as Blissful mentioned, and lightning storms above treeline, or freezing rain on rock which can turn a Class I walk into a Class V adventure.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I actually enjoy hiking in warm rain. If it's cold and rainy...it's not good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++