WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Common gels and nutritional values, Updated

Many runners who are out for over an hour will carry some type of energy or nutritional supplement. There are many brands available, so which one gives the biggest bang for the weight or offers something that meets what you need to keep going?

I bought/tried each of the gels and made a little chart to show the differences. I'll add to the chart as I come across different brands. But for now, here are the results.

Updated to say that there are usually many different flavors available, but to me all tend to taste about the same -- sickly sweet. Also, while I've tried it and it didn't bother me, others in my running group advise to a bit extra water after using the Crank gel -- it can be hard on the stomach.
    Last edited by John B; 11-20-2009 at 11:23. Reason: Updated chart

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Stinger Honey (Chocolate Flavor)
    Calories: 120
    Total Carb: 29g
    Sugars: 29g
    Sodium: 50mg
    Potassium: 105mg
    Calcium: Not Listed
    Vitiman B: 25% DV
    Vitamin C: Not listed
    Total Fat: 0g
    Sat: 0
    Protein: 0g
    Caffeine: Not Listed
    Package Weight: 1.3oz
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

I like Hammer Gels. The new or kinda new Roktane by GU is inreresting, but I try stay away from any gels with Caffeine.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a novice at gels (I don't use them) - have any hikers really felt better from using these products?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am a novice at gels (I don't use them) - have any hikers really felt better from using these products?
    I find I'll sugar-crash from any of them, so I'll only use them on the last push of the day. It isn't exactly a second-wind, but it's appreciable.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not so much for hiking, but I have found them valuable for trail running. It is hard to process food even running a relatively slow 5MPH. The body can't digest food AND run efficiently at the same time. (All that blood going to the stomach after a hearty meal rather than the legs....).

Even in hiking, think of how you feel after sitting down to eat a big sandwich, a piece of fruit and a granola bar. It is why people on the move all day graze all day rather than sit down to a really big lunch (unless the break is longish).

SO, when running, some quick to process goo shots or similar are golden. Back in my (brief) ultra days, a shot every twenty minutes is a balance between easy processing and energy.

Of course, after 22 hrs of goo shots and Gatorade-type drinks, the stomach feels awful.

I'm starting to get the itch to get back into long distance trail running. Hmm....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Yes. I use them during all of my speed hikes and ultraruns.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good to know thank you for all your input!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The one time I tried them it burst in my pocket after I sat down for a break. Made a big sticky mess. I don't do packets with liquids/gels after that. I will get my sugar from traditional sources like Snickers.

Mom of Future Thru-Hiker docllamacoy's Avatar
    Images

I don't use gels or anything like that yet. For a long run, I'll have coconut water in one of my bottles, and I'll do a shot of ginseng just before a race. I'm still trying to think of other alternatives to the goo and gels that are more natural. I don't like to eat what's in most of them. Any suggestions on a more natural front?
    Llama, of Doc, Llama & Coy

Images

I walk on the Kennesaw Mountain trails a lot, and am constantly picking up the empty wrappers from these energy gels. Don't know which is better, but please don't throw the wrappers on the ground.

Images

Well stingers, and you should check out Vespa- all Naturale'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Even in hiking, think of how you feel after sitting down to eat a big sandwich, a piece of fruit and a granola bar.
    I feel great! If I feel exhausted, I'll either mix some of one of those energy shots (like Mana) into my water, or I'll take a break and maybe eat and have some coffee.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I feel great! If I feel exhausted, I'll either mix some of one of those energy shots (like Mana) into my water, or I'll take a break and maybe eat and have some coffee.

And what happens when you try to gain 3000' vertical right after eating said big lunch?

(Remember, I specifically said unless you have a long break first after eating the big meal)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docllamacoy View Post
    I don't use gels or anything like that yet. For a long run, I'll have coconut water in one of my bottles, and I'll do a shot of ginseng just before a race. I'm still trying to think of other alternatives to the goo and gels that are more natural. I don't like to eat what's in most of them. Any suggestions on a more natural front?
    A handful of raisins works for me when I'm hiking. I'm not a runner, though.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    And what happens when you try to gain 3000' vertical right after eating said big lunch?

(Remember, I specifically said unless you have a long break first after eating the big meal)
    Didn't see that part- the siesta has got my vote!!!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Mom of Future Thru-Hiker docllamacoy's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Well stingers, and you should check out Vespa- all Naturale'
    Thanks! Actually came across the Stinger the other day. I like those. Will also check out the Vespa.
    Llama, of Doc, Llama & Coy

Images

Clif Mocha with caffeine rocks when I need a little pick me up. I'm a Coke drinker in my cube at work, and when I get out on the trail, I find my body craves a little 'pick-me-up' from time to time. I get out so little that the additional cost of these things isn't that bad and they are uber convenient to stash in my hip belt pockets.

Gels are great for long tennis matches and at halftime in soccer matches. I don't like have much in my stomach before I play, so I don't eat a lot beforehand and I end up needing something for a kick of energy. Anything else that you have to actually "eat" takes too long and requires more water with it.

I'll second the Hammer gels as my favorite overall brand - love the apple flavor.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I'm a fan of the tangerine PowerGels. They are caffienated, and pack a pretty good punch. We refer to them as nitrous shots. I first started using these back in my bicycle time trials and found them extremely effective. I like the ClifShots, to. CarbBoom apple is pretty good, none of them give me a sugar crash.

++ New Posts ++