WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

There is also no evidence (credible evidence at least) of permethrin actually causing neurological injury in humans. Human skin deactivates the molecule, which is why it must be sprayed on clothing to have any benefit.

Just something to think about in case anyone owns cats or rabbits and is thinking about using permethrin. Talk to your vet first, it's toxic to these pets and not recommended for use even if they're only exposed to it dried on clothing.

Also, it's toxic to fish so if you're using it, it's probably a good idea to stay out of water sources.

Images

Default vet

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHiking View Post
    Just something to think about in case anyone owns cats or rabbits and is thinking about using permethrin. Talk to your vet first, it's toxic to these pets and not recommended for use even if they're only exposed to it dried on clothing.

Also, it's toxic to fish so if you're using it, it's probably a good idea to stay out of water sources.
    i talked to my vet. he agrees. he said if you are exposed to ANY chemicals, garden, deet or work, do not bring clothes in house. dont leave them where pets can sleep on them. this made me think. i come home from work or hiking and throw my hat on bed and Ash (cat) is laying on it in no time.
    thank for you post. made me think.
    im only using permethrin on my thru. so i will definitly keep that stuff away from them

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i talked to my vet. he agrees. he said if you are exposed to ANY chemicals, garden, deet or work, do not bring clothes in house. dont leave them where pets can sleep on them. this made me think. i come home from work or hiking and throw my hat on bed and Ash (cat) is laying on it in no time.
    thank for you post. made me think.
    im only using permethrin on my thru. so i will definitly keep that stuff away from them
    Is it toxic to cats or does it just not work on cats? Permethrin is what is used in the once-a-month tick stuff for dogs. It works on dog skin because they don't metabolize it like we do (I think because they sweat different). It won't work on our skin for more than a few minutes (like Sgt. Rock said). Cat skin is probably alot more like ours than dogs.

Personally, I like Permethrin on my clothes, it works great. We live in tick central and I and my family haven't gotten Lyme disease since using it along with bug sparay on exposed skin. Permethrin on clothing and deet on exposed skin is ideal. I hate deet so I use Picardin. Almost as good, doesn't burn the skin, stinks less.

I understand about the bees, but this is a contact killer so they should not be affected.

I have MiniGaiters, Trail Racer to protect my ankles from the vicious biting flys up on Marias Pass. I have a Bug-Me-Not Head Net. I can put on gloves.

I have the OR bug bivy.

I don't use any thing else, except if mosquitos are interested in me (not always, my body pH is alkaline, not acid) I have the little keychain solar-powered mosquito repellant dragonfly sound emitter for $2.99.

Here is one for $2.71 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12169 0.81 oz.

Here is another model http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/sopoanguwile.html and here is another http://sports-imports.stores.yahoo.n...ewestasli.html the first one listed is claimed to work for 15'.

I forgot to say, I saw a bee drop dead out of the air, apparently only getting a "whiff" of the Permethin spray on the horse's mane put there by the owner. I had taken a horse and pack horse into the Bob Marshall Wilderness for a week-10 days. I paid to use the horses, the outfit including panniers.

The same day, a fly bit a chunk out of that horse's mane and only staggered a bit, then flew off. Maybe that fly died later, but he looked strong.

Images

i think i read somewhere mosquitoes enjoy the color yellow, so i dont' wear it when i'm out in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Is it toxic to cats or does it just not work on cats? Permethrin is what is used in the once-a-month tick stuff for dogs.
    Yes, it is toxic to cats, rabbits, and fish. You are correct about Permethrin being used in topical dog products. My vet won't allow me to use it on my dog though b/c I do have cats. Even if I keep them separated for a time period following application, my vet said it's still too dangerous. So I use a product that is less effective against ticks.

Were it not for that, I would use Permethrin to treat my hiking clothes and bandannas for my dog.

I do wonder though how much Permethrin it takes to be an issue if pants treated with it take a swim or stroll through a water source while on the trail. Probably not much risk, but considering presence of fish and rabbits in/around water sources, it could be a concern.

Yes, it is toxic to cats, rabbits, and fish. You are correct about Permethrin being used in topical dog products. My vet won't allow me to use it on my dog though b/c I do have cats. Even if I keep them separated for a time period following application, my vet said it's still too dangerous. So I use a product that is less effective against ticks.

Were it not for that, I would use Permethrin to treat my hiking clothes and bandannas for my dog.

I do wonder though how much Permethrin it takes to be an issue if pants treated with it take a swim or stroll through a water source while on the trail. Probably not much risk, but considering presence of fish and rabbits in/around water sources, it could be a concern.
    Lyme disease and other tick-borne fevers are also a concern, personally, I'll take my chances with permethrin.

He who hangs in trees
    Images

Well Bob, you never know...
    Just imagine if you had freshly soaked your hiking clothes in permethin. Now do you remember the movie Bee Movie with Jerry Seinfield. The end premise is one bee, only one particular bee could save the world's bee population, and along with it the human race. Now imagine you are on the AT in that bee's path, and wearing a fake sunflower pinned on your left shirt pocket. The bee lands on the sunflower and dies from the poision. How can you not see how your desire to not be eaten alive is the end of all humanity as we know it? Surely this permethin must be alluded to in the 2012 prophecies somewhere....

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Lyme disease and other tick-borne fevers are also a concern, personally, I'll take my chances with permethrin.
    I won't do that at the risk of the animals living in my care. Someday after these cats have passed on, I won't be getting more and I will then be able to use Permethrin, but in the meantime, I do pretty well without it.

Images

I'm not a big fan of Permethrin. I really don't like using Deet either, but you've got to keep ticks and skeeters off somehow. Some insect contact is part of the experience of the trail..! Wear running shorts with the liner under your pants to keep ticks out of those "special places"!
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

When I was managing a sporting goods store in the 90's, we couldn't keep this on the shelf. It's funny; Monday visits from the NC Forestry Service would clean me out. Double my inventory, double my sales. I'm a believer, I keep a can in my camping kit and treat my clothes, pack and hammock before going out. I have had no memorable failures due to the chemical on fabric, and would much rather replace any of it as opposed to getting Lyme, equine encephalitis, or some other nasty. Hint; the can is green and the name ends in -none.

Heck, you can get a few bottles of Kwell and do the same thing - usually cheaper.

I'd prefer to use permethrin per instructions, help my animals keep a living caretaker and understand that weighing risks and benefits often entails shades of gray.

I won't do that at the risk of the animals living in my care. Someday after these cats have passed on, I won't be getting more and I will then be able to use Permethrin, but in the meantime, I do pretty well without it.

Why not use it and keep your hiking clothes away from your pets?

Just as parents of young kids keep dangerous things out of their reach, you can do this for your pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    Why not use it and keep your hiking clothes away from your pets?

Just as parents of young kids keep dangerous things out of their reach, you can do this for your pets.
    Not according to my vet. Anything they say is highly toxic to my cats, won't be coming in the house in any form.

Not according to my vet, What? Your vet thinks that you can’t keep your hiking clothes away from your pets?

I do have a dog in the house and I’m not worried about her with Permethrin at all. I keep stuff like it away from the dog. It’s not really hard to keep a set of clothes away from a pet. In fact it’s incredibly easy to do.

which is cool if you have decided cat's health is more important than your's. No one will force you to do anything different.

Permethrin on clothing works.

Deet on skin works. You don't need concentrations higher than 30%. Most of what I use is in the area of 23%. A mesh shirt sprayed with Permethrin and allowed to dry for at leas 2 hours is probably the best warm weather insect protection I've tried. Ventilation and bug-proofness don't have to be mutually exclusive. I have an old (no longer made) Outdoor Research bug "jacket (shirt really) with nylon shoulders coming over the upper body just a bit. The rest is mesh. Mesh sucks under shoulder straps.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    I do have a dog in the house and I’m not worried about her with Permethrin at all. I keep stuff like it away from the dog. It’s not really hard to keep a set of clothes away from a pet. In fact it’s incredibly easy to do.
    Well, good that you are not worried about your dog with Permethrin. Dogs are not at risk. Reread my posts, you'll see that I mentioned there is a topical product for dogs that contains Permethrin. Not going to name drop, if you want the product, PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    which is cool if you have decided cat's health is more important than your's. No one will force you to do anything different.
    Geesh, people don't realize that there are products out there other than Permethrin or what? I'm not putting myself at any more risk because I choose not to use it in order not to expose my cats to it.

Is it easy to keep clothing away from pets? Yes. Is it easy to keep products away from pets? Yes. Do people other than myself live in and enter my home? Yes. Do accidents happen? Yes. Sorry, I'm not going to risk it.

I only posted about it's toxicity so anyone who DOES care about their animals has the chance to make an informed decision. There's no warning on the labels of the Permethrin bottles I've read. No warning on the labels of Ex Officio clothing, etc... Not trying to dissuade anyone from using it, but a little knowledge goes a long way and I for one as a pet owner appreciate that someone took the time to inform me.

I also appreciate knowing that in the future, should I purchase Ex Officio clothing or should I treat my own with Permethrin, etc... I should be very careful around water sources that contain fish, or could be used by rabbits if I need to reapply on the trail.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++