WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Some of the topical drops applied to pets for insect control, often on the back of the neck contain a chemical called "perethrin". I used to work at a pet store, and read the labels more carefully than most customers. I don't know what the difference, if any, there is between Permethrin and "perethrin". I used to consider it a typo, but it may not be. Anyway, whatever it is, it gets absorbed into your pet's blood and lymphatic system and is carried throughout the body to repel insects and ticks for a prescribed period. I'm not inclined to put potentially harmful chemicals on my own body. On pets, with a much shorter lifespan, it has probably been taken into consideration that, if it shortens their lifespan due to the toxic nature of the medication, it probably prevents a much earlier (and painful) death due to contracting Lyme and other diseases, and prevents pets from bringing the little hitchikers into your home and exposing you to those same diseases.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

There is a reason that there is no label warning on the label for Ex Officio clothing. There is no credible risk. There is a reason there is no label warning to avoid contact with water for treated clothing. There is no credible risk.

You have made a value judgement based on information you have understood from others. I will be glad to share that judgement once evidence demonstrates danger to humans and the environment when permethrin is used per labeled directions. I have not noticed cats scattered about the landscape and yards of neighborhoods where dogs are given permethrin impregnated collars or plastic ampules. I have noticed zero journal articles demonstrating human toxicity to permethrin used per instructions in the past 50 + years of use.

Bees dropping from the sky from permethrin treated horse manes? WOW!

Bees dropping from the sky from permethrin treated horse manes? WOW!

I don't buy thet either...

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    You have made a value judgement based on information you have understood from others. I will be glad to share that judgement once evidence demonstrates danger to humans and the environment when permethrin is used per labeled directions. I have not noticed cats scattered about the landscape and yards of neighborhoods where dogs are given permethrin impregnated collars or plastic ampules. I have noticed zero journal articles demonstrating human toxicity to permethrin used per instructions in the past 50 + years of use.
    I never asked you to share that 'value judgment' now, nor later. There are studies out there showing scientific evidence of the toxicity of Permethrin to certain animals, animals that are encountered on the trail as well as in our homes. Take it or leave it, do your own research, make your own informed decision. No one is asking you do to otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Some of the topical drops applied to pets for insect control, often on the back of the neck contain a chemical called "perethrin". I used to work at a pet store, and read the labels more carefully than most customers. I don't know what the difference, if any, there is between Permethrin and "perethrin". I used to consider it a typo, but it may not be. Anyway, whatever it is, it gets absorbed into your pet's blood and lymphatic system and is carried throughout the body to repel insects and ticks for a prescribed period. I'm not inclined to put potentially harmful chemicals on my own body. On pets, with a much shorter lifespan, it has probably been taken into consideration that, if it shortens their lifespan due to the toxic nature of the medication, it probably prevents a much earlier (and painful) death due to contracting Lyme and other diseases, and prevents pets from bringing the little hitchikers into your home and exposing you to those same diseases.
    I don't think the topical drops containing Permethrin are available in store/over the counter. Could be wrong though on that.

The Bitteroot Mountains in Montana may be the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever tick capital of the world. I have never had a tick on me.

However, I do not wear shorts. I always wear tight-fitting pants, at least the the ankles. My favorite hiking pants are Pearl Izumi Tokyo tights.

On Marias Pass, famous for biting flys, I wear "Trail Racer" MiniGaiters.

Have a look at my website, at my signature, then make a judgement if I am some idiot making stupid "made-up" comments about seeing a bee drop dead right out of the air, that had no direct contact with the Permethin, only getting a "whiff" of it in-the-air.

I gave an "alternative" how-to that works.

DDT was "approved" for decades. That doesn't make me want to use it.

I smell a whiff of something.

Images

Permethrin can be had in liquad form from pet and animals supply places. When my wife and I know we're going to be out in buggy conditions we'll soak our hiking clothes in a solution of the stuff before hand. It seems to work pretty well that way.

Images

i'm pretty sure permethrin is the active ingredient in frontline and other name-brand flea and tick treatments for dogs

I use the stuff on my hunting clothes, will work for a few weeks, and works better than deet (IMHO)

That being said, I rarely wear the stuff while hiking, usually just carry a lil deet if anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    i'm pretty sure permethrin is the active ingredient in frontline and other name-brand flea and tick treatments for dogs
    The active ingredient in Frontline is Fipronil and Frontline Plus is Fipronil and (S)-methoprene combined.

AlwaysHiking.. Is that just a different brand-name or a different "active ingredient"?

orangebug.. I don't make any money off of my website.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    AlwaysHiking.. Is that just a different brand-name or a different "active ingredient"?

orangebug.. I don't make any money off of my website.
    Different active ingredient.

Images

I wonder if I can take a dose of Frontline to keep the bugs off..
    One time I got a case of hookworms and got rid of them by taking Ivomec (the livestock dewormer) for a few days. Geez, I'm such a redneck.
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHiking View Post
    The active ingredient in Frontline is Fipronil and Frontline Plus is Fipronil and (S)-methoprene combined.

it's the same principle as permethin...

and no, don't use frontline on yourself. you'll find yourself lapping your water and sticking your nose places it shouldn't be

Hardly, it is a pesticide, true, but it is not toxic to rabbits or cats. So different.

I wouldn't recommend Frontline to a human. It just won't work.

Antihelmics usually work pretty similarly by purging and killing adult parasites. That can be hazardous - one of the reasons that bleeding and purging ain't done that often in humans these days.

and no, don't use frontline on yourself. you'll find yourself lapping your water and sticking your nose places it shouldn't be
    What if I already do that?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    I wonder if I can take a dose of Frontline to keep the bugs off..
    One time I got a case of hookworms and got rid of them by taking Ivomec (the livestock dewormer) for a few days. Geez, I'm such a redneck.

I had a friend that used to go to the vet if he ever got hurt working on his ranch, it was amusing, yet very affective

Images

Aww, I was just kiddin'. I wouldn't take the Frontline. But I did take the Ivomec. Nasty, but effective. I was desperate.
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++