WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Default Equinox Bivy and Poncho/Shelter

Hey all,

I just got my Equinox Bivy and Poncho/Shelter in the mail today and I am pretty happy with the items that I received. I just got them today and I may test them this weekend. Just curious if anyone else has used these products, and if so, what are your thoughts?

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...oductID=EQ3000

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/EQ1200

Best,

- Greg
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Journal Entries
    Images

You have my support-I would suggest setting it up in the backyard and work with the titanium pegs, walking sticks and ground hogs and test your ability to tension the poncho correctly with the required knots. Then post your thoughts after spending a night in the rain. Also don't forget to post a pic or two on WB or Photobucket. If you have any questions feel free to PM me I remember there were several videos on Utube on this subject. (do you need to seam seal?)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Sounds like a good setup.

I would highly recommend a good set of micro line tensioners. I like this kit. I know a lot of hikers will use a prusik knot or similar for setting up a tarp, but I find that in bad weather, I can't make small knots very well. The tensioners make setup a lot faster.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I do need a seam-seal actually. Also, those fasteners look enticing (I use those on my tarp tent). I am in the market for both of those

- Greg

I'd say you made a good choice, but do practice pitching and study tarp pitching skills, if you haven't already.
    Visualize what you would do if...?
    The combination is bombproof if you are confident with the skills.

You may want to consider some kind of bug net for bug season, something like a "Mantis Bug Net" or just hanging no-see-em fabric.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I don't want to say anything negative about your setup, but you may want to test out the tarp/poncho (i.e. wear it out in the rain a few times) before using it in the field to make sure it doesn't leak. I have an Equinox tarp/poncho I bought a few years ago. It's the one with the extension on the back (9'x5'...I think it was called the "Terrapin" at the time). Mine leaks pretty bad...or I should say leaked pretty bad. I don't know if it was just low quality sil-nylon that was used or what happened, but water would go right through the material. I have been experimenting with the Atsko silicone spray (that you can get at Wal-mart), and that seems to have made it almost waterproof again (I need to do some actaul field testing to confirm).

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I don't want to say anything negative about your setup, but you may want to test out the tarp/poncho (i.e. wear it out in the rain a few times) before using it in the field to make sure it doesn't leak. I have an Equinox tarp/poncho I bought a few years ago. It's the one with the extension on the back (9'x5'...I think it was called the "Terrapin" at the time). Mine leaks pretty bad...or I should say leaked pretty bad. I don't know if it was just low quality sil-nylon that was used or what happened, but water would go right through the material. I have been experimenting with the Atsko silicone spray (that you can get at Wal-mart), and that seems to have made it almost waterproof again (I need to do some actaul field testing to confirm).
    I am neurotic when it comes to testing gear. The next day it rains, I'll be hiking with this thing on hoping for a downpour. Thanks for the advice.

- Greg

dunno about the poncho, but i use the "bivy" for all kinds of reasons (including under a tarp for water-resistance and in shelters in the dead of winter for warmth and wind protection) and i've never been anything but pleased.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

I have the bivy. It's cheap and it works. What more can you ask for?
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

++ New Posts ++