WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wide Sleeping Bag

I'm looking for a wider sleeping bag than my current Kelty Light YearXP 20. Wheni zip it up i have almost no roo for my arms next to me...

Any way i'm looking for a wider bag about the same rating and weight.

i would appreciate input.
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Images

Three come to mind:

Big Agnes (research their site for the model you like)
    Mont-Bel - expensive (research their site)
    Marmot Sawtooth extra wide or Trestles extra wide (down - sawtooth, syn - trestles)

I second the Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide. Love that bag.
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

Feathered Friends makes a wide variety of shapes and sizes of bags including rectangular and semi-rectangular models.

Images

I have to second the Montbell, which is pricey, but not the pricest out there. I have a UL Super Stretch #3 30 degree which I got for $250 or so. Weights 23oz and because it stretches in ALL directions it allows me sit up cross legged. I hate to say but I don't think I'll ever buy another brand of sleeping bag unless Montbell decides to stop making these and I'll end up buying a few more on the spot.

Now that my 11 year old son has taken a shine to backpacking, his first real down sleeping bag will be a Montbell Super Stretch, but may not the 800 fill one. He can carry the weight.

All this by the way is my own humble opinion. I've been backpacking since I was 6, and this works for me, but will not work for everyone.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

Just how "wide" are you? I'm not that wide but do move around alot in my sleep, plus I'm a bit claustrophobic. I love my 6'6" Western Mountaineering Alpinlite. Plenty of room and very warm.

Images

I have a Big Anges Pomer Hoit that I'll sell you for $175. Its a zero degree down bag. Retails for over $400.

well, i'm not that big... 5'11" and 215lbs
    I like to sleep on my side and be able to move my arms around, which was not a problem in the past, because it was not that cold and i was able to keep my arms and shoulders out. But on this last trip it got so cold that i wore every bit of clothing i brought, including fleece pants, fleece jacket, wool socks and fleece hat...

So i think it was a combination of my body plus all the clothes. Still i wish i had more room in the bag.

I'll check out the MontBell and Marmot, the BA looks good, but i just bought a Neoair pad, so i don't want to change pads....hmmm might be a nice Christmas present...
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Until I got my Montbell Super Stretch it was nearly impossible for me to zip up my sleeping bags all the way. The other bags were tight around my shoulders. I would roll around and the damn zipper would always seem to get under me. I would dang near panic trying to get to the zipper in the morning. It was actually stressful.

The Montbell Super Stretch is a joy. I can zip it up all the way without worry about not being able to get to the zipper in the morning.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Another vote for the Montbell Ultra Light, Super Stretch, Down Hugger.
    Pick one in the temperature rating best for you. I find my 25 degree rated #2 to be warm into the teens. Just know that the regular length is only good for folks to 5'10", you'll need the long.

Images

I have the same issue with the need for a wide bag. I had the opportunity to try out a Big Agnes Encampment (15*) at an REI while in the Nashville area. It comes in regular and long. If you look at the long bags,they tend to be a couple to a few inches wider than the regulars. For me, I will have to be able try out a bag before making the purchase.

SMSP

Images

What is the normal life span of the elastic in the stretch bags?

How well does a bag like this work open, like a quilt?

++ New Posts ++