WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Missing hiker in NC

Pardon my post since it's not exactly A.T. related. I'm just passing along info. about a search going on for a missing hiker who belongs to a Raleigh, NC, hiking group that I'm involved with.

http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.co...kies-area.html

As of Midnight, Wednesday, November 4:

Please continue to spread the word that if anyone comes across a Green Nissan Pickup truck with NC license plate, Appalachian Trail specialty plate "TENT" to immediately contact law enforcement.

There is some evidence that the search zone should be in the Cashiers to Brevard area along US 276, NC 281, and US 64

Thank you.

Grant /Fire Marshal

Glad you posted this, just got the email from Chris c and was logging on to post.

Images

That's a really big and rugged area with plenty of cell dead zones.
    Cashiers and the area between it and Brevard have a lot of waterfalls and quite a few back roads...and miles of trails.
    I hope he's okay and turns up safe.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Author, "Hiking North Carolina's Lookout Towers" pjbarr's Avatar

looks like they found him, so all is well. luckily turned out to just be a miscommunication of itinerary and dead cell phone.
    Whippersnap
    GA->ME 2010

2010 complete

hikers need to remember to turn their cell phones off when no service. It quickly will run down your battery searching for service.

And a good time to remind everyone to update people on your itenaries...isn't this the 2nd time recently that a hiker was reported missing because they changed there plan and didn't tell anyone else?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was in Andrews and at the NOC this last weekend. Didn't see anyone resembling John.

If he is indeed in the area from Brevard to Cashiers. Thats a large area and rugid.

Wondering if he went toward the Foothills Trail and some of the other waterfall trails, since that was some his starting plans.

Have info sent to probably Ron Haven in Franklin. He can probably spread the news and help to keep an eye out.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I was in Andrews and at the NOC this last weekend. Didn't see anyone resembling John.

If he is indeed in the area from Brevard to Cashiers. Thats a large area and rugid.

Wondering if he went toward the Foothills Trail and some of the other waterfall trails, since that was some his starting plans.

Have info sent to probably Ron Haven in Franklin. He can probably spread the news and help to keep an eye out.
    hmmm. guess you didn't read the post 3 post up...he's been found, he's fine.

++ New Posts ++