WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Endangered Hostel

I'm posting this on WB, because we need some help from all the hikers. We need for you to become involved! Rainbow Springs Campground/Hiker Hostel near Franklin, N.C. which was purchased two years ago is now up for sale. The owners are going to sell it or develop it if it hasn't sold by the end of the year. This hostel is only .9 of a mile from the trail at Wallace Gap. Several of us have been in touch with the Little Tenn. Land Trust, (LTLT) to discuss the purchase and turning it into a non-profit which will be preserved for all time. It would continue to operate as a campground/hiker hostel indefinitely, and all the profits would be set aside for the LTLT. The LTLT has shown interest in this and has given us an official letter of interest and is prepared to move forward. Winton Porter of Mountain Crossing Outfitters at Neels Gap has just returned from the Backpack Show in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he contacted a number of Mfg. Reps regarding making tax deductible contributions to the LTLT for this project. We are starting a grassroots movement here and are asking for the help of everyone that uses the hostels up and down the trail to please write or call the manufactures of the equipment that we buy and use and encourage them to get on board and make a tax deductible donation to this project. All corporations have a budget set aside for this type of thing. This is a win win situation for all of us. They get the Tax Deduction, we get to keep a hostel and the area around the trail will stay free of development. I for one would hate to see this place turned into condo's or a housing subdivision. We are in the process of putting more information on Mtn. Crossing Web Page. I'll post more info as I get it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim2K
    I'm posting this on WB, because we need some help from all the hikers. We need for you to become involved! Rainbow Springs Campground/Hiker Hostel near Franklin, N.C. which was purchased two years ago is now up for sale. ....
    So strange to read this, since I was just there Monday! Let us know what to do and when, and many of us will write. Great place.

And Pilgrim, thanks so much for the shuttle Saturday evening! Paul and I had a good time. Did the section in less than 2 days. I'll post a trip report soon.

Rain Man

Sounds like a plan to me. Keep us posted at least once a month.

Thanks for the input. I'll gather info on the potential donors that can be written to and post it.
    Rainman, enjoyed the shuttle and glad you had a good hike.

Images

Rainbow springs is one of my favoritest places to stay on the AT. I'll try to help with a donation.
    Actually, IF I had the money &/or assets, I would buy it myself.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Default How much?

How much are they asking for the property and how much property comes with the place? I'd sure hate to see more development if it can be avoided. The hostel has certainly become a great tradition, too. The land trust idea sounds like a win/win situation for the trust and hostel users. I think lots of folks will be willing to pitch in.

It's gonna take a half million to buy it. For just a hostel? There's a lot better pieces of property to fight for on the AT. Rainbow Springs is not wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    It's gonna take a half million to buy it. For just a hostel? There's a lot better pieces of property to fight for on the AT...
    You have a point. I'd like to see the fishing community get involved with this, as the streams through the property will have the most impact if Condo construction or summer homes are erected. There is no ski slope. The views aren't spectacular. It is well off of US 64. It has competition from NC State's Standing Indian Park.

It is a bad investment. The Crossman's knew it.

I suspect that it is a better investment as a Foundation's gift to a Land Trust. I suspect that this is just the plan for the organizers of this project.

Their asking a million dollars for the property which is only 10 acres. Lone Wolf is right this is a lot for a hostel and that's why we are getting the land trust involved. It will be an operating gift to them. The purpose of this is save the land from development and also protect the river. We're also working with the Rainbow Springs coilition which has the land below the Campground protected.

A MILLION? holy s**t! It ain't worth that much.

Default endangerd hostel

I most certainly agree,north carolina sure is nice !

For more info about this situation, please see this page:

http://rainbowspringscampground.com/letter.htm

The Land Trust for the Little Tennessee Land is interested in conserving Rainbow Springs Campground and Hikers Hostel.

I wondered when this news would hit WB. It's up for 1.1 million. Apparently the new owners (who are absentee owners)
    thought they could make a fortune in the first year and a half. Even though we offered advice, etc. to assist them. But they chose to put alot of money where it wasn't needed. We made Rainbow Springs what it was. It was our life and livelihood. No it was not a bad investment, but like any investment, you have to want it to succeed and you have to work hard at it. We enjoyed all of our years at Rainbow Springs and would hate to see it developed. It hurts us to drive by and see the grounds not being kept up and hearing from our old campers, etc. that the bathhouse isn't as clean as Buddy kept it and that the store does't have much to sell. It's tough to make money on a campground when you keep hours of 9-6!!!

Priced above market value. They obviously aren't interested in the AT just the profits, understanble I suppose. (Check the local property listings for those who are doubters. ) Please don't make me list them here.........my posts are getting too long
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

We are Barry and Terry who have had the pleasure of managing the new Rainbow Springs Campground and would very much like to thank Buddy and Jensine Crossman for all their support. Without them we would have never been here in the first place.
    Our mission is first to protect and preserve Rainbow Springs Campground from development by bringing it into the Land Trust for the Little Tennessee.
    Second, is to support all hikers with shelter and supplies. If you have been here in the last 2 years then you know we are very capable of doing so.
    Third, with the preservation of Rainbow Springs Campground and the hostel, anything above and beyond opperating expenses shall be contributed to land, trail and river conservation.Thank You
    If you would like to visit our 2004 Hikers Photo Gallery see www.rainbowspringscampground.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea
    We are Barry and Terry who have had the pleasure of managing the new Rainbow Springs Campground and would very much like to thank Buddy and Jensine Crossman for all their support. Without them we would have never been here in the first place.
    Our mission is first to protect and preserve Rainbow Springs Campground from development by bringing it into the Land Trust for the Little Tennessee.
    Second, is to support all hikers with shelter and supplies. If you have been here in the last 2 years then you know we are very capable of doing so.
    Third, with the preservation of Rainbow Springs Campground and the hostel, anything above and beyond opperating expenses shall be contributed to land, trail and river conservation.[/url]
    I wish you all the best of luck. I am sorry that the former owners and others criticized your willingness to be entrepreneurs. Of course, they received similar complaints. I am sorry that some hikers begrudge you the honor of attempting your purchase and development during adverse economic conditions. Sometimes it sucks when you are your own boss.
    Frankly, I will be surprised if you are able to keep RBSC anywhere near an economically viable position without some level of development for retirees and other residences. I applaud your decision to allow the general public and foundations to attempt conservation of this valuable resource.

Bill....

In my previous post I did not begrudge Barry & Terry of their efforts to save
    Rainbow Spring. In fact if you would read my post in FULL you will note that
    I said "We would hate to see Rainbow Springs developed." It's not an easy
    business to be in and any effort they can make to save Rainbow Springs is
    appreciated by many. Jensine

Default In Response to questions

Over 1,000 of you have already shown an interest in the fate of Rainbow Springs Campground. With numbers like these even contributions as small as $20.00 could buy the option and the time needed to save Rainbow Springs and keep the doors open for the 2005 hiking season.
    We are presently contacting many manufacturers, but are finding that the sponsorship and grant process is alot of red tape.
    Soon to be released is a list of manufacturers, numbers, email, and contact people that all of you may be able to write, call or email to help this process along. Fortunatly we have control of our web site, (see for more info),
    www.rainbowspringscampground.com . This is great asset for the cause.
    1.1 million is alot of money, but prices are always subject to change and will. Also, this is not raw land, but an established hiker hostel with stores, (including an outfitter), bunkhouse/yurt cabins, and a large bathhouse all ready for 2005.
    As mentioned earlier, with the preservation of RBC and hiker hostel any monies above and beyond opperating expenses shall be contributed to land, trail and river conservation.
    Again, Thank you for your support and contributions.
    Yours, Barry and Terry

Default What is possibility of hikers time-sharing it?

No, seriously, RS is not paid off by Barry? Property taxes too high? What gives that they will have to let developers take over? Possible to sell shares of the place to hikers? Say for $200 you get a lifetime pass to camp there when hiking on the AT? How many hikers would that take , say maybe 5,000, to fund the place ? Are there that many hikers interested in saving Rainbow Springs?

Default Supports AT

A group of us do trail maintaining on the AT with Nantahala Hiking Club and a 4 mile section near Deep Gap, NC. We live in Georgia so we usually stay overnight camping somewhere. One time I came in late the night before and Standing Indian campground was full. I decided to try Rainbow Springs but the office was closed but then one of the managers called down from upstairs and asked if I needed any help. I explained I had some trail work to do on the AT tomorrow. He and his wife immediately opened the office and had me settled into a site in no time. Our group has been staying there ever since. It has been a great place to recover after a hard day on the trail.

Rainbow Springs campground has been VERY supportive of our work on the AT and an invaluable resource to the multitudes of hikers that pass through there.

This campground is rustic, uncrowded, has clean bunkhouses, LOTS of open greenspace, fishing, and great conversations with fellow campers. Rainbow Springs campground ALWAYS makes you feel right at home.

RSC is truly a unique place surrounded by protected forest and the Nantahala River. Losing RSC would be a GREAT loss for the AT and it's hikers. We should all help in any way we can to save this invaluable resource.

TP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++