WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT Posters

Images

I saw this poster hanging in Mountain Crossings when I passed through there on my first section hike from Springer to Dick's Creek Gap in 2003. I remember looking up, seeing it and being dumbstruck. Like many others, I felt the tears well up and got a lump in my throat. I am not easily moved to tears but something about that picture really touched me. Maybe in my own small way, I got what it was all about.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Thanks, Jester, for the tip about this thread.

Brian King, our publications director, has been considering bringing the "End of the Journey" poster back in a smaller version (I'll share the two threads with him). Believe it or not, it did not really sell well when it was in print.

In the meantime, we have a 11 x 17 poster of a hiker by the Katahdin sign in mist in a similar pose. It's by Sharon "Lollygagger" Mammoser, GA-ME '08, and is available at HQ, and through our Ultimate Trail Store site soon. Mountain Crossings has another similar poster.

It's interesting how that original poster evokes such a response from thru-hikers and (dreamers too), but usually doesn't mean much to those who haven't been (or dreamed about being) beside that sign. We have it hanging in our hiker lounge at HQ and I'm always curious to see how people react to it. Re-reading those quotes cut and pasted into the first WB thread gives me goosebumps.
    Does anyone know where any of these posters can be purchased? I can't find it in the ATC store.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

I'd love to have a picture of myself at Katahdin, but I don't yet. Does anyone have a source on this poster? Did it ever get reprinted? I would like to buy one as well

[QUOTE=Lauriep;929522]

It's interesting how that original poster evokes such a response from thru-hikers and (dreamers too), but usually doesn't mean much to those who haven't been (or dreamed about being) beside that sign. [QUOTE]

Obviously speaking only for myself, but I can see why a "dreamer" would like the poster, but as a thru I have no interest in a poster of "someone else" on K.

Jolly Rancher NOBO '09 Harley&Me's Avatar

I remember talking to someone in the ATC office about it last year during my hike. They told me that they can't reprint it because they can't get in contact with the guy who is in the photo. They don't know who it is and apparently he has a distinctive tattoo or something. Didn't make sense to me. I would love that picture. That is about how foggy it was on my summit day last year.

Images

Default "Oh where ... oh where has it gone?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    "Journey's End" was sold by the ATC until about 3 years or so ago. It's been out of print for some time now. There were no copies of it when I was at the ATC this past weekend. You may try Ebay and see if there's a copy available there. I was fortunate enough to win a copy of it a couple years ago at SoRuck. It's now framed, matted and hanging on my bedroom wall.
    Every year for the past few years a thru-hiker that has completed the trail find himself looking for this poster - it used to hang at Amicalola, Hot Springs, etc... but no more - and not in print either. I'd love to find it and get the word out! If anybody gets a lead on how to obtain this - please send me a message - MUCH THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley&Me View Post
    I remember talking to someone in the ATC office about it last year during my hike. They told me that they can't reprint it because they can't get in contact with the guy who is in the photo. They don't know who it is and apparently he has a distinctive tattoo or something. Didn't make sense to me. I would love that picture. That is about how foggy it was on my summit day last year.
    Doesn't make any sense to me, either, considering you can't see any tattoo or the guy's face. I doubt it's the actual reason.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

The identity of the hiker may not be revealed in the photo, but it's likely the photographer's rights would be involved if the photograph is reproduced for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by berkshirebirder View Post
    The identity of the hiker may not be revealed in the photo, but it's likely the photographer's rights would be involved if the photograph is reproduced for sale.
    Absolutely. And it would be the photographer's responsibility to get a release from the subject if it was necessary. But I doubt it has very much to do with getting the rights, as ATC has had the rights before and I'm sure they haven't lost the photog's contact info. I think the real reason was hinted at by Laurie (who, for those who don't know her, works for ATC):

Brian King, our publications director, has been considering bringing the "End of the Journey" poster back in a smaller version (I'll share the two threads with him). Believe it or not, it did not really sell well when it was in print . . .
    So in other words, for all of the people who profess to love the poster, not that many people bought one last time around. Bad sales track record = no reprints. So anyone who really, really wants to see this poster for sale again (even if only in a smaller format), emailing Brian King would be a far better thing to do than posting on whiteblaze.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Default Tick-Tock

Brian King, our publications director, has been considering bringing the "End of the Journey" poster back in a smaller version (I'll share the two threads with him). ....
    Wonder how much longer Brian will consider it?

I emailed the AT store last week with no reply, yet.

It would be great if they would make just a small run of posters. Or just let one of us buy the image, now days, most photo places can make posters of anything.

A store in Rangeley, Maine called Ecopelagicon had the "End of the Journey" posters on hand for $5.95 when I was there last week.

Their e-mail address is [email protected] and their website is www.ecopelagicon.com.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Journal Entries

Default The End of the Journey

The outfitter in Waynesboro, VA had it in stock and on display in '06.

ja marshall....

Thanks for the link ! Talked to a a very nice lady at Ecopelagicon this morning and ordered a couple of the posters. I believe they were six bucks each and approximately eight bucks for shipping in a tube.
    I told her she might expect a few phone calls from White Blaze members, so if you want one I would suggest calling soon.......phone number is 207-864-2771. Here's a link to their website,
    I would love to visit their store (after completing a thru-hike of course!)

http://www.ecopelagicon.com/aboutus.shtml

The Ecopelagicon store is just off the main street in Rangeley, behind the Thai Orchid restaurant (I recommend the Hot and Sour soup). I told the lady there were folks looking for the poster and that I would post her info here.

Enjoy your posters!
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Dogpaw - thanks for posting the link. Just called them and ordered a poster for myself. I saw that poster at several places this year and really liked it. The fact that is photographed in apparently similar conditions to when I and several of my trail friends were on Katahdin last week made it more appealing.

Images

Is their website down or is it just my computer?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Link is working now.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

:banana

Thanks for the link.

I ordered a poster on Sunday, can't wait to get it. She did say that there were just a couple left. So if you want one, give them a call. It may already be too late

I'm going to frame mine an put it on my office wall. It will be interesting to see if anyone asks about it.

Ha. I just called there and was told that they were sold out, and then the nice woman says "Oh wait - there is one that I have as the display model - do you want it?" Will be at my house soon...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++