WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT Posters

Default AT Posters

Somewhere along the norther leg of the trail I saw a poster, done in the classic motivational style, a thru-hiker on his knees clasping both hands to the top of the Katahdin summit sign- with the traditional foggy background. Now, months after stepping off Katahdin I am still thinking about it and would like to find it- perhaps even purchase it- but cannot for the life of me turn it up with a google search. Any one have any ideas about where I can find it, where I might have seen it, or someone I could contact who might?

Thanks!
    -Moosegut

Images

Rsofr,
    I'm sorry, I don't know where you can find this poster, but I know what you are talking about. In 2002 I saw this poster in the ATC headquarters in harpers ferry. It was a powerful poster that stuck in my mind and when I got to Katahdin, I just had to imitate it. See this picture...

Quite the imitation, =)

I'm going to ring the ATC office in HF and see if they can point me further. If I strike lucky, I'll post about it, in the meantime I'd like to see more like these if anyone has them.

Joe is correct. The poster was called "Journey's End" (36"x24") and I found it listed in the 2004 ATC Ultimate Store catalog. It doesn't appear in their latest catalog.

Default Journey's End

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Joe is correct. The poster was called "Journey's End" (36"x24") and I found it listed in the 2004 ATC Ultimate Store catalog. It doesn't appear in their latest catalog.

The Old Fhart is also correct. I have this picture framed and hanging in my bedroom. I purchased it from ATC's Ultimate Store in 2004. I don't know why they stopped selling it, but they did.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"Journey's End" was sold by the ATC until about 3 years or so ago. It's been out of print for some time now. There were no copies of it when I was at the ATC this past weekend. You may try Ebay and see if there's a copy available there. I was fortunate enough to win a copy of it a couple years ago at SoRuck. It's now framed, matted and hanging on my bedroom wall.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I saw it at on the website for Mountain Crossings. The outfitters store there in Neels Gap in Georgia. Check it out to see if they still have it.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

try the outfitter in hot springs too. I know they had one on the wall.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Default The End of the Journey

I have this poster.
    CT

check out Old School's summit photo on trailjournals.com/oldschoolandnewday

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Hiker at the End Poster
    Member Price: $5.90

Wrapped in the clouds, a hiker falls on the sign marking the northern end of the A.T. on Katahdin, his dream fulfilled.
    is the entry in the 2004 catalog.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Additional information from the archived version of the ATC Store:

Hiker at the End Poster
    Member Price: $5.90

Wrapped in the clouds, a hiker falls on the sign marking the northern end of the A.T. on Katahdin, his dream fulfilled. 36" x 24".

Quantity:

Reviews for this item: Jerry Canterbury (Ohio) - 11/14/03
    I saw this poster mounted high on the wall at the Walasi-yi Center in Georgia when doing a day hike there two months ago. I've thought about it repeatedly since then and finally decided I had to have it, ordering it today. It will go on the wall in my garage where I can see it and think about my hike every day.
    5 stars Matt (Massachusettes) - 09/26/03
    This is such an awesome photo... I remember seeing it at the AT store in Harpers Ferry, and it took my breath away. It was almost the exact same type of day on my summit day,and that just adds to the beauty of the photo.
    5 stars Fanjet (RI) - 05/31/03
    I felt the emotion just rush through me when I viewed this and purchased it immediately. It'll be framed and hung in my office.
    5 stars Elizabeth (Clinton, TN) - 01/14/03
    I can feel the emotion just from looking at this picture.
    5 stars Sawnie Robertson (Kinnickinic) (Estes Park, CO) - 01/11/03
    Could there ever be a more dramatic, wrenching photograph than this?
    5 stars Ben (Noblesville, IN) - 03/22/02
    The landscape and fog in this pic is breathtaking! Everytime I look at this hiker, I can feel its aliveness.
    5 stars Boyd 'Don Quixote' Brown (Skowhegan, Maine) - 03/07/02
    Very powerful photo... just wish you had it available in smaller sizes.
    5 stars

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Default Original poster may come back, similar ones available

Thanks, Jester, for the tip about this thread.

Brian King, our publications director, has been considering bringing the "End of the Journey" poster back in a smaller version (I'll share the two threads with him). Believe it or not, it did not really sell well when it was in print.

In the meantime, we have a 11 x 17 poster of a hiker by the Katahdin sign in mist in a similar pose. It's by Sharon "Lollygagger" Mammoser, GA-ME '08, and is available at HQ, and through our Ultimate Trail Store site soon. Mountain Crossings has another similar poster.

It's interesting how that original poster evokes such a response from thru-hikers and (dreamers too), but usually doesn't mean much to those who haven't been (or dreamed about being) beside that sign. We have it hanging in our hiker lounge at HQ and I'm always curious to see how people react to it. Re-reading those quotes cut and pasted into the first WB thread gives me goosebumps.

Images

I was lucky enough to get one of the original posters. I have it framed, hanging over my TV. I even took a photo with my phone and made it my phone's wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Brian King, our publications director, has been considering bringing the "End of the Journey" poster back in a smaller version
    Wow that is awesome news! I recall so clearly the first time I saw that poster, I got a huge lump im my throat and tears welled up too. I've been looking for a copy for years...

climb the mountain, have somebody take your pitcure. then have it turned into a poster. i don't see what the big deal is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Thanks, Jester, for the tip about this thread.
    No problem! Good to see you the other day!

I've seen many imitations of this poster done by other hikers, but none of them seem to evoke the same emotions. I don't know if it's the fog or the obvious emotion in what looks like a completely unposed photo or what.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    climb the mountain, have somebody take your pitcure. then have it turned into a poster. i don't see what the big deal is about.
    I hear ya, be original

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    hahahahaha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++