WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mom of Future Thru-Hiker docllamacoy's Avatar
    Images

I could probably beat that Givens person in the article on my first try. Maybe if she was running under 3 hours, she could talk, but I know a lot of people would consider her slow.

I understand closing off the course after a certain time, due to costs or contracts with cities and whatever else, but I don't understand why anyone would get in a huff over a slower marathon runner if he/she isn't affecting his run. I think it's just an insecurity issue these few elitists have; they don't feel as important when someone 3 hours slower than them says they ran the same marathon. But what do I know.
    Llama, of Doc, Llama & Coy

Images

Every group I have been a part of has had those with an attitude similar to "You didn't pass every white blaze within 364 days so you aren't a Thru hiker!"
    Some examples I have heard:
    Bicycling: you don't use sew up tires so you aren't a real biker.
    Renaissance fairs: you only do one fair & that only on the weekends, so you aren't a real rennie.

These people are few but vocal, I choose to ignore them & eventually they go away. If they don't I call them a few bad names & eventually they go away.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Default Respect

Some folks that do something real well sometimes have a problem when some other folks do the same thing, only not as well, but are held with the same regard and respect for doing it.

Some folks that do things that they are challenged by and enjoy and are proud of sometimes have a problem with some folks that do not respect them because their efforts were judged to be less.

Is it about respect?

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by b.c. View Post
    Some folks that do something real well sometimes have a problem when some other folks do the same thing, only not as well, but are held with the same regard and respect for doing it.

Some folks that do things that they are challenged by and enjoy and are proud of sometimes have a problem with some folks that do not respect them because their efforts were judged to be less.

Is it about respect?
    Well said!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by docllamacoy View Post
    I could probably beat that Givens person in the article on my first try. Maybe if she was running under 3 hours, she could talk, but I know a lot of people would consider her slow.

I understand closing off the course after a certain time, due to costs or contracts with cities and whatever else, but I don't understand why anyone would get in a huff over a slower marathon runner if he/she isn't affecting his run. I think it's just an insecurity issue these few elitists have; they don't feel as important when someone 3 hours slower than them says they ran the same marathon. But what do I know.
    To reiterate a point I made many posts earlier, I don't think it is the elite runners who are a problem, but rather those who are good but no where near the elite group. In just about every road race in which I have participated, the winner and those who finished in the top ten will walk back on the course to encourage the slower runners. The great thing about these running road races, is that one can say they competed in the same race as some famous runner, and the really good runners do not object to that, nor is it perceived by them to diminish their accomplishment.

I've been a volunteer worker at the Atlanta Marathon for the past 30 years, and we do shut down the course about 4 hours after the start.( which means taking up the safety cones and dismissing the police traffic controllers, and all other volunteers ) Those still making their way to the finish must take to the sidewalks and wait at traffic lights. As suggested, it is the agreement we have with the city.

Images

The second chicken from the bottom pecks the hardest.

I'm pretty sure I won't be mistaken for an Elite hiker. Slow as I am.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

People who "run" a road marathon in the 6, 7, and 8 hour range, in my opinion, didn't really run it. Running a marathon is supposed to be a challenge, and running a marathon in that time frame, to me, isn't a challenge. Aiming to simply finish a marathon vs. running it in the best time possible is belittling the challenge of the marathon. I ran a trail marathon several months ago, where the time cut-off was 6 hours. Granted it wasn't a tough trail marathon by any means, I heard some folks didn't sign up because it was difficult to finish the race within the cut-off. That isn't what it is about. Maybe in an ultra-marathon, where a huge chunk of the field may not even cross the finish line, that would fly.

Hiking the AT slow vs. fast to me is completely different. Hiking is an activity, a marathon is a race.

Just my opinion :-/
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

one of the greatest physical accomplishments I have ever seen was to watch a 90 year old woman, 2 weeks after a hip replacement, walk 10 feet to the bathroom, I offered to help her back, she refused, wanted to do it herself. she was exhausted slept the rest of the day. The pain she pushed thru and the determination on her face I have never seen on a marathon runner.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bidwell View Post
    People who "run" a road marathon in the 6, 7, and 8 hour range, in my opinion, didn't really run it. Running a marathon is supposed to be a challenge, and running a marathon in that time frame, to me, isn't a challenge. Aiming to simply finish a marathon vs. running it in the best time possible is belittling the challenge of the marathon. I ran a trail marathon several months ago, where the time cut-off was 6 hours. Granted it wasn't a tough trail marathon by any means, I heard some folks didn't sign up because it was difficult to finish the race within the cut-off. That isn't what it is about. Maybe in an ultra-marathon, where a huge chunk of the field may not even cross the finish line, that would fly.

Hiking the AT slow vs. fast to me is completely different. Hiking is an activity, a marathon is a race.

Just my opinion :-/
    I note that you're 25, and I assume from your photo that you're in good shape. I also assume that you've never been terribly overweight and have never experienced being in really bad shape. I hope for your sake that you never are. However, there are plenty of people for whom "running" a 6-hour marathon will bring them way more pain than you will experience in less than half the time. I don't understand why you think this belittles your efforts.

A marathon is only a race for the people with single-digit entry numbers. For everyone else, it's a training goal.

One of my husband's cycling friends is a retired Special Forces guy who has 1200 jumps behind him, but now has put on quite a lot of weight. They did a long bike ride in Charleston last spring. David powered through in a respectable time. His friend took about twice as long to complete the course, which he did through sheer mental toughness, and was barely able to walk afterwards. In what way does that affect David's ride? None at all.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I like your style Marta, I like your style.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    I like your style Marta, I like your style.
    ditto. you tell him Marta

This seems to be an issue of semantics for some and an issue of form for others. In the last four years I have started running. At least that is what I call it, but some people that I talk to and are really into the sport – tell me that I am actually jogging not running. They make this determination based on my time it takes me to cover a mile.

Personally, I don’t really care – some people seem to have too much time on their hands and feel the need to inform others about how to live.

I actually asked a guy that works in the local running store what the difference was and he said something like – runners are up on their toes and joggers are usually heel toe. Something like that. I don’t know if that definition really holds true – but I will tell you that I ran my first marathon in 4:16……….or maybe I should say jogged my first marathon.

A fella I work with asked me why I enter all the races I do and train as much as I do considering I know I’m not going to win. I answered without a delay that it is a lifestyle I choose to live. I like goals and I like pushing myself mentally and physically. Gives me something to do. I guess it’s better then……………..

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    ...A marathon is only a race for the people with single-digit entry numbers. For everyone else, it's a training goal....
    Absolutely and completely untrue.

this is what it's all about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUQeUsqQuVc

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this is what it's all about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUQeUsqQuVc
    Absolutely, LW. The guy finishes in less than 6 hours. Thanks for illustrating the point.

I think it was said earlier, this is a matter of respect. For years and years and decades and decades, sanctioned marathons have been the almost exclusive terrirtory of serious runners. Regardless or whether they were going to win, almost every runner was running as fast as he or she could in order to make their best time (not merely finish). Now, many marathons have been reduced to being populated by many who use the marathon as some sort of self-help goal. That is disrespectful to the true runners.

You may be able to sound self-righteous in defending a 10 hour marathon and if that is the best that one can do, then good for that person. But, it is still interloping on another community's customs and traditions.

One doesn't have to run in a marathon to run a marathon. Leave the sanctioned marathons as they were, for serious runners. Not everyone deserves a medal for running 26.2.
    Yahtzee

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

I guess my point was that humans are able to run so much farther than 26.2 and so much faster than a 6-8 hour marathon.

Granted everyone has their own stories on how they got to the start of a marathon, running at marathon in 7 hours is setting the bar pretty low in my opinion.

Also, that is a tall assumption that I've never been out of shape, Marta. I worked hard to get where I got. When I finished my first few races, I was intrigued by the mystery of human endurance, pushing me to go farther and faster. People who finish a marathon to say they ran a marathon, never to do another one again, don't impress me.

As a note, this topic gets me heated that and the topic of "golf not being a sport". Carry on!
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Absolutely, LW. The guy finishes in less than 6 hours. Thanks for illustrating the point.

I think it was said earlier, this is a matter of respect. For years and years and decades and decades, sanctioned marathons have been the almost exclusive terrirtory of serious runners. Regardless or whether they were going to win, almost every runner was running as fast as he or she could in order to make their best time (not merely finish). Now, many marathons have been reduced to being populated by many who use the marathon as some sort of self-help goal. That is disrespectful to the true runners.

You may be able to sound self-righteous in defending a 10 hour marathon and if that is the best that one can do, then good for that person. But, it is still interloping on another community's customs and traditions.

One doesn't have to run in a marathon to run a marathon. Leave the sanctioned marathons as they were, for serious runners. Not everyone deserves a medal for running 26.2.
    This is absolute bull****. Interloping? The fact is some don't like when others complete an event, but not to their standards.

"A matter of respect" what the **** do you mean by that?

I've never done a running event, but I've done cycling events and we also have "interlopers" at these events. I guess I could get all ****ty about someone claiming that they completed a century ride (100-mile event) even though they stopped and had a social time at many of the aid/food stations. It's not the way I do centuries, I like to challenge myself more, but who the hell cares, I don't feel disrespected. Although, I guess if I had thin skin it would irk me.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    This is absolute bull****. Interloping? The fact is some don't like when others complete an event, but not to their standards.

"A matter of respect" what the **** do you mean by that?

I've never done a running event, but I've done cycling events and we also have "interlopers" at these events. I guess I could get all ****ty about someone claiming that they completed a century ride (100-mile event) even though they stopped and had a social time at many of the aid/food stations. It's not the way I do centuries, I like to challenge myself more, but who the hell cares, I don't feel disrespected. Although, I guess if I had thin skin it would irk me.
    Before engaging in a profanity-laced tirade about marathon racing, it might be helpful for you to actually participate in one before climbing too high on the soapbox.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++