WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Question Trekking poles, use them or not?

I’m planning my first section (Springer>NOC). I have learned so much here over the last few weeks. I have been paying particular attention to the gear stuff.

30 years ago I did some hiking and did not use them then. I would like to hear options on Trekking poles. I know there is no right answer. I would just like to know
    if you use them or not and why.

Images

Might as well follow this up with carrying weapons on the trail too.

Anyway, in my short hiking career I've developed a love for them. They help ME greatly and routinely save me from at least one bad stumble on an outing.

The stress off the legs is huge as well and their use also puts your arms into use, especially on up hill climbs.

Start with the wally world ones.

Images

I use them and have been for the past 8 years or so. I highly recommend them. They help with support and stamina while traversing the mountains. They have saved me many times from face-planting. Some will chime in to advise they're not needed (like Lone Wolf), but many more will praise their benefits. They help me get into a great hiking rhythm.

I see them as a muti-function item. They are good at deflecting snakes or other varmints you might encounter. They can be used for some shelter/tarp supports. I fought off a bear one time with em.... haha, just kidding. Although, if approached by a bear, I could wave them in the air & clack them together to make me look bigger & more menacing. That's a stretch, but you get the point.

I currently use the Black Diamond flick-lock poles because the twist-lock poles have collapsed on me at inopportune times. Overall, I don't think you could go wrong with a set of poles.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Certainly they aren't required, but I started using them about 7 years ago and have found them useful for stability, helping to stop or slow down a slip-and-fall, getting weight off the knees, and as a tent pole. They're also useful to wipe away spider webs and fend off dogs.

I dislike my Leki Super Makalu's when my hands start sweating; when the tip of a pole gets caught between a rock and yanks me backward unexpectedly; and when I forget them at a rest stop and have to backtrack to retrieve them.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

when I was younger I didn't need or use them. Now they really help with my weak knees when I go when I go down hill.

Images

Packs aren't needed, nor shoes either. I do think these things help out a lot. Same with the poles. can't count how many times they've saved me from eating it. if you get Leki's, you can easily get them fixed for free should you break 'em. Once you're used to them, you might find you really enjoy having them.

Images

Age is an interesting thing... the older I get, the more I need my poles

It's like four-wheel drive for people. Why pass that up?

i like the extra stability can't count how many times they've saved me from twisting an ankle
    GRAVY

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Sometimes I use them. Sometimes I don't. I carry them because my shelter relies on it. I find I'll hike faster without them, but I'll need them later in the day to not fall on my arse.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I definitely enjoy using them. As said before, puts your arms to use and creates a pressure-buster for your knees on the down-hill. In addition, they are multi-use.

I've never used them, but I'm thinking about getting the cheap ones from Walmart just to try them....I've always been partial to using a walking stick that I found along a trail years ago...it was the perfect size...really strong and light weight...and best of all--free....i just sanded it down really smooth and it has made many trips with me...If you are curious about them and you can afford the$20-$30 try out the Walmart ones before blowing $100-$200 on Lekis and finding out you don't like using them.

Images

To the OP,

30 years ago you were 21 with 21 year old knees.

Now you're, well.....older.

Your knees will thank you (especially when you are finishing your section on the bone-jarring descent into Wesser) for the poles.

'Dem knees knows.

Buy good poles!
    Anything that SAYS for Balance only is dangerous and junk. (IMHO!)
    Leki's are the strongest.
    No one EVER complains about the price after they own them.

Images

If you want a good set of poles on the cheap get bamboo ski poles from goodwill. Light, strong, cheap, and last forever. Mine are over 5 years old and still work good.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

in addition to all these good points, i find the best benefit of having the poles is my hands don't swell -- when i hike without them, my swinging arms lead to swollen and painful fingers and hands - and when i have my hands wrapped around my poles, i don't have this problem.

not to mention the fact that when you're scrambling DOWNhill - it's like you're walking on all 4's - i love(d) mine. i had 2 pair of the cheapo's from walmart (swissmade red one's). one pair got "accidently" stolen - bummer - the following month, while readjusting the height of one of the remaining pair, the twist lock broke and now i am down to 1 of 4 poles. bummer. for $20/pair, a good investment for my earlier hiking days...

in the future, i'm looking to upgrade to a pair with snap locks (like black diamond) but i want the 15-degree angle (leki) and cork handle (less slippery when sweeting). done my research, now waiting for the right price...and for the newest leki to come out in march, from what i heard - they're introducing their own snap locks....definitely want to check them out.

overall - grab a pair of cheapos - not much investment if they only last you a few trips - and try not readjusting them too much - then when you hike without, if your hands hurt, you'll invest in a nicer pair.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post
    in addition to all these good points, i find the best benefit of having the poles is my hands don't swell -- when i hike without them, my swinging arms lead to swollen and painful fingers and hands - and when i have my hands wrapped around my poles, i don't have this problem.

not to mention the fact that when you're scrambling DOWNhill - it's like you're walking on all 4's - i love(d) mine. i had 2 pair of the cheapo's from walmart (swissmade red one's). one pair got "accidently" stolen - bummer - the following month, while readjusting the height of one of the remaining pair, the twist lock broke and now i am down to 1 of 4 poles. bummer. for $20/pair, a good investment for my earlier hiking days...

in the future, i'm looking to upgrade to a pair with snap locks (like black diamond) but i want the 15-degree angle (leki) and cork handle (less slippery when sweeting). done my research, now waiting for the right price...and for the newest leki to come out in march, from what i heard - they're introducing their own snap locks....definitely want to check them out.

overall - grab a pair of cheapos - not much investment if they only last you a few trips - and try not readjusting them too much - then when you hike without, if your hands hurt, you'll invest in a nicer pair.
    really? i'm not usually this dull. "sweating". there is not much about me that's "sweeting" when i'm on the trail.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

I use them but only one. I use to use two but it's more comfortable for me to switch back an forth. My arms don't like being in a 90* postion all day.

Any support you have when you are about to push up some of the large "step-ups" and downs plus any support to keep you from falling is well worth the price. The trail isn't paved, and more than once I've almost fallen. My walking stick has really saved my hike more often than I know.

Images

Thanks everyone!
    I went over to Wally world to look at what they have. They have a pair for like $19. I think I will try them out on one of my first shake down hikes. I have a couple of places to go on some day hikes. The trails are very long, mostly 2-5 miles and they do have a nice variety terrain.

Again, Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++