WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cold Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Oh, and a dog should definitely have his own sleeping pad. Otherwise he'll get cold. I like Kanga's idea.
    there's no point in buying my dogs a pad of their own, they always end up on mine anyway... ; P

Images

I cover my whole pad, so I'd cut my old foam pad in half for my dog. But you're probably right.

i start out covering my whole pad but somehow every morning i wake up on the ground and the dogs are on the pad. i really don't know how that happens.

Oh, and a dog should definitely have his own sleeping pad. Otherwise he'll get cold. I like Kanga's idea.
    in post #7 i already said to carry a pad for the dog for sure!,(for comfort and insulation) i carried an air matress for my dog bear.

Besides, you should NEVER have your dog in a shelter when other hikers are there. As hikers, and they'll hesitate and say it's okay to be nice, but many times, they aren't okay with it. Just don't, common courtesy.

I don't hike with my dog, but if I did, I would get a two person tent and sleep in there with him. And smell wet dirty dog all night. But it's a trade-off. He has to smell wet, dirty hiker all night.
    i always carried a 2 man tent for me and my dog bear, she had around 6-7,000 miles on the A.T. we stayed in a few shelters when they were empty or just my friends around. if i knew others were coming or i saw people walking up to the shelter we would pick up and move out. alot of people knew me and bear over the years. i never heard anyone complain about her( i can hear you now,everyone says that). she was quiet, very friendly,never strayed. she ate better than most of you, no need to beg. and she was always up to date on vaccinations and prevenatives, cleaner and more behaved than any hiker i ever met. she was loved and well taken care of when i wasn't around, winton at mtn. crossings,miss janet,bob peoples(reserved couch),daves place,blister sisters house,packrats hostel, a few church hostels,at rob of daltons she was the only dog ever allowed inside. sounds too good to be true, sorry just the facts. so i appreciate the advice, but i already know how to respect others around us at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i start out covering my whole pad but somehow every morning i wake up on the ground and the dogs are on the pad. i really don't know how that happens.
    i know what you mean, i carried a air matress for bear and a z-rest for me, she always ended up with both of them. and it didn't bother me at all, i pampered her as much as i could!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i always carried a 2 man tent for me and my dog bear, she had around 6-7,000 miles on the A.T. we stayed in a few shelters when they were empty or just my friends around. if i knew others were coming or i saw people walking up to the shelter we would pick up and move out. alot of people knew me and bear over the years.
    A lot of people don't do that though- I'm glad to hear that you do (I think I've read some of your other posts about dogs, now I think about it). But too many people don't think about it at all. I've known people to hike in at night when everyone was settling down, in the pouring rain, with their dog, and squeeze into the shelter, with the muddy, soaking wet dog. Not very nice. And I've also known people to ask if their dogs could sleep in the shelter and no one wanted to be the ass who said no, and the dog was very badly behaved, etc... But, I'm glad to hear the way you do it!

sorry for sounding like a d***! hope you have a great hike!

i remember her getting in the water source right before max patch,made one guy mad and the other six people said no big deal. after that i had her always drinking down stream from everyone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    <clip> And yet if you get a malamute for backpacking, what happens in the summer? Too hot?
    I have a Siberian Husky, and have only taken her out in June twice - and won't again.... Her favorite place, here in GA, from May to Sept, is laying on top of the air conditioning vent! Frankly, I'm no longer very excited about getting out in the heat, either, so we are a good match!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

My shepherd's have always slept in my tent my chihuahua (3lb.) always sleeps in my sleeping bag, and my bed at home. I carry a 2man tent for comfort for all of us. I use kids size sweat shirt for the shepherd if it is very cold. I've never hike with out a dog so can't imagine camping any other way.

I had the pleasure of having an Akita.

He never slept with me, although there were times cold enough I think I understand the term "two dog night". I wished I had a nice furry Akita dog on either side of me!

I never thought of a fleece for him. He did not like "snow-boots" on his feet.

They say an Akita can take really cold weather.

He seemed to have great fun in the snow.

I did get him a really thick Therm-A-Rest type sleeping pad, complete with paw prints on the cloth covering. I think it was more comfortable than my Therm-A-Rest.

But was he warm snow-camping? I don't really know.

I heard him whimper one night. I never saw him shiver.

I did put my biggest synthetic coat over him.

My 2 Bassett Hounds, Puddin and Deisel, would be highly put off by the thought of not sleeping in the tent curled up next to me.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Images

My old dog Bud, who did about 700-800 miles altogether with me, stayed in the tent with me, in warm weather on an old foam pad and in cold weather in my bag with me. My new lab, Montana, has only done warm weather hiking so she has just slept on the pad, or usually manages to push me off the pad and sleeps on my z-rest. I have a 2 man that I usually use, or a one man that I could get my old dog in with me, but he was smaller (35 lbs) while Montana is almost 70 lbs and would be a tight fit in there.
    -clicker

I thought the thread title was "Corn Dogs". Sorry, got food on my mind.....

Images

I remember taking Sophie, a whippet lab mix, out for an overnight on Christmas Eve sometime around1999 or 2000 .From Woody gap to Blood Mtn.Not a terribly hard hike at all but.... we ahd a 3 -4 inches of snow,with snow drifts much higher.She loved it!!!!!! I had originally planned on staying in the Blood Mtn. shelter but after a few hours of windy noise,she had kept on going outside of the shelter to escape the noise( someone had tried to secure" blue tarp" material on the windows...dubm idea.They were flaing blah,blah.

I took her cue and set up my walrus 1 man tent,set everything else up.shwe walked right in.I shared my open bag with her,even though she had 3x3 section of fleece.We slept great.

She has sinced past on.Maggie our husky/lab mix also hogs my quilt and so forth.On cold nights the heat she puts off is a great trade off for "half' of a sleeping pad. I personally could never make any of my dogs sleep outside of the tarp.If they're wet,dry them off.dirty clean them up.

Patrick

Images

Just something I've wondered about. Any of you experienced dog partners ever have damaged tents due to your buddies? I can see my dogs claws wrecking havoc with a silnylon or spinnaker tent floor.

Mugsy is a 31-pound Cockapoo (non-shedding bread). We tent. Usually just having my parka around him does the trick, but if I see him shivering I pull him into the sleeping bag or use the bag like a quilt.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Just something I've wondered about. Any of you experienced dog partners ever have damaged tents due to your buddies? I can see my dogs claws wrecking havoc with a silnylon or spinnaker tent floor.
    Never had a sil or spinn floor. Used an inside dropcloth of an old sheet. Mine wore his claws down well until he got old.

Something I have wondered. How a dog can ooze his way onto a pad, or when back to, steal quilt covers.

Images

Many people have said they used fleece for the dogs. Does fleece dry off quick enough and will it be ready (i.e dry) for the next night?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++