WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wise Shelter

This side of the dirt
    Images

@Sarcasm the elf- good info - thank you
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Pulled from GHSP trail guide.

Snag_65d93e0.png
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Pulled from GHSP trail guide.

Snag_65d93e0.png
    That applies for drive-in weekend warriors and those who don't have a clue. The average AT hiker knows what's up...usually...

Images

They don't have a special definition of thru-hiker. The park official knew exactly what type hike I was doing because I reviewed my entire itinerary with her. She was very clear that according to the park policy, I was not allowed to spend the night in the shelter.

I'm hoping the complaint I made about it through the backpacker parking reservation system will do some good but I doubt it. I thought about complaining to the ATC to see if they can exert some influence but decided not to. GHSP has been using this policy with hikers for at least 15 years now (see date of Rain Man's first post in the thread). The policy is indefensible. If the park doesn't allow camping within it's limits except for the designated campground and thru-hikers at Wise Shelter, they are already making an exception for thru-hikers. It makes no sense to extend this exception to thru-hikers but not other backpackers. We should not be treated like second class citizens. It violates the ethos of the trail.

I know I stayed there on the first section hike I took with my daughters (where I saw my first Jetboil!) in 2008 or so we just walked up and stayed there. There were a couple other sectioners too. Then in ‘21 I came in (nostalgic) as a thru, and there were 3 adults and one kid already there, sectioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Insane...how would anyone even prove you were NOT a thru hiker? And I agree with odd man out above; get creative and...what could anyone even do? Evict you? No.
    Their definition of a thru hiker is one who INTENDS to hike the whole trail in one go. Just say you are doing a flip flop thru hike, starting here. Then you fins that like the vast majority of thru hikers, you don't succeed.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    They don't have a special definition of thru-hiker. The park official knew exactly what type hike I was doing because I reviewed my entire itinerary with her. She was very clear that according to the park policy, I was not allowed to spend the night in the shelter.

I'm hoping the complaint I made about it through the backpacker parking reservation system will do some good but I doubt it. I thought about complaining to the ATC to see if they can exert some influence but decided not to. GHSP has been using this policy with hikers for at least 15 years now (see date of Rain Man's first post in the thread). The policy is indefensible. If the park doesn't allow camping within it's limits except for the designated campground and thru-hikers at Wise Shelter, they are already making an exception for thru-hikers. It makes no sense to extend this exception to thru-hikers but not other backpackers. We should not be treated like second class citizens. It violates the ethos of the trail.
    If that is the case then I would suggest reaching out to the ATC as well. I didn't see any mention of a use restriction on their website or in the ATC/ALDHA thru hiker companion and if the park staff is trying to restrict use by section hikers then I'm sure both the ATC and ALDHA would like to know about it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Do they maintain the shelter?

I may be wrong but I suspect they don't want to have anything to do with the AT or the shelter and are hands off when it comes to the shelter along with its associated "weekend warrior" hassles. A good lie works for the weekend warriors as well as section hikers. Seems like to use the lot overnight, you must stay in one of their campsites. They don't want to deal with AT users in their parking lot. If a thru hiker (who started in GA) asked to park there, I suspect they would send them to an AT trailhead lot. For those who might not be aware some thrus do hike with a car. My year Circuit Rider and Ulysses hiked a portion of their thru hike using the one car method.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If that is the case then I would suggest reaching out to the ATC as well. I didn't see any mention of a use restriction on their website or in the ATC/ALDHA thru hiker companion and if the park staff is trying to restrict use by section hikers then I'm sure both the ATC and ALDHA would like to know about it.
    As a partner with the NPS in managing the trail they have a say in the matter, just like Baxter SP does.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    As a partner with the NPS in managing the trail they have a say in the matter, just like Baxter SP does.
    I'm not disputing that, however from the posts above it appears the local park office is telling callers about a rule that doesn't appear on their own DCR park page and isn't noted on the ATC website or in the "Official" A.T. guidebook. So either there is a misunderstanding within the park office about the policy, or there is an official rule that the ATC and ALDHA aren't aware of. I can't tell which of these is the case while I'm sitting here in my Armchair in CT, but it seems like a communication issue that should be resolved.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

While it is not exactly clear that it is official policy, please do not continue to suggest ways to "get around it" that are really just breaking the rules. Of course you can camp outside the boundary and Wise is just inside the boundary, so it's not too hard to do so. It was a long time ago and I remember doing that, but I am not remembering if it was because this policy was in effect.

Some further information. Helps a little for me because I wasn't understanding why they have a backpackers lot.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Ok - you talked me into it. I sent a note to the ATC asking if they could help get the policy revised. Will keep you posted with any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by fudgefoot View Post
    Ok - you talked me into it. I sent a note to the ATC asking if they could help get the policy revised. Will keep you posted with any updates.
    Can you let us know if you hear anything back?

Images

Yes I will post any new info here. I have received an initial response from the ATC that they received my email and are still looking into the issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++