WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ibuprofen and blood pressure meds

Just wanted to put this out there for those of you taking blood pressure medications. I recently led a group on an overnight on the AT in MA. Everything was going fine until the last 2 miles heading into Salisbury, when one of the members of the group named Paul started having trouble walking (calve pain, sore legs, low energy). Dehydration was suspected, and in the last 1/2 mile or so he could only take about 5 steps before needing to rest (with no pack!). We got Paul into town (that's right, no SPOT rescue)and fed him and gave him water and gatorade, and he felt better on the way home.

The next day I spoke to him briefly around noon and Paul said he felt better, but by 4pm he was admitted to the hospital with renal failure. Apparently the doctors say he created the "perfect storm" of stress from hiking, dehydration, and mixing blood pressure meds with vitamin I, which brought on his kidney failure. Here we are one month later and his kidneys have finally restarted. He gets his catherter out hopefully Tuesday, and he hasn't needed dialysis for 5 days.

If I had to place a bet before the trip who would have problems Paul would not have been on that list at all. He has run marathons and backpacked before, and is generally in good health. The biggest mistake he made (other than mixing meds) was to not tell anyone he was having a problem until it was too late.

I only put this out there so that others using blood pressure meds will check their particular prescription for drug interactions, as not all BP meds act this way.

Images

Awesom Post. I also take meds for blood pressure. And one thing they told me is do not take Ibuprofen with them because it has the opposite affect on your heart. If you are taking pills to slow the heart, Ibuprofewn has the opposite and will make you heart spike at a very unsafe rate. The only thing you are suppose to use is tylenol.
    "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."
    -- Unknown

Wow, thats some serious renal failure. Glad he is doing better. The interaction of NSAIDS and BP meds actually only includes the classes of BP meds called ACE inhibitors and ARBs. Examples are Lisinopril and Losartan. Both NSAIDs and these BP meds interfere with the kidneys ability to regulate the amount of blood flow they get. When hypovolemic (dehydrated) and taking these meds at the same time creates the perfect storm; in addition to muscle breakdown products that can damage kidneys further in this situation. NSAIDS will not make your heart race however, unless your allergic to them.

wow....Thanks for the update. My rules of doctors. Find a GREAT one that isn't a pill pusher and LISTENS to you. Then, tell him/her EVERYTHING. Even the OTC stuff, vitamines, etc.
    Before any increase in physical activity, consider discussing with a medical person. A nurse in the family, many health care programs have a "dial up and talk to a nurse". If in doubt, make an appointment.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Any med's you take , learn ALL contraindications, have a clue, for your health.

Default Ibuprofen and blood pressure meds

Do not use ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) within the past 14 days. Ibuprofen can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
    Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
    Ibuprofen can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning at any time while you are taking ibuprofen.
    Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

Treat Blood Pressure

Journal Entries
    Images

I needed this information, thanks! What about Aleve?

This is why I always cringe when I hear the phrase "Vitamin I". Any pain killer should only be used as a last resort, due to side effects like this one and also because they mask something very important. If nothing else first try to stop doing what is causing the pain.

Images

Different situation, same advice: I was taking Plavix in '00 during my thru attempt after a '99 3x bypass. I took Ibuprofen daily 1x to ward off aches. After 2 weeks I scraped my leg and noticed it wouldn't clot. Realized the Ibuprofen was acting cumulatively to the Plavix to thin my blood. Could have caused major stomach bleeding or intestinal bleeding or if I'd had a serious trauma made clotting difficult/impossible. Check with your pharmacist if you want to take it.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Do not rely on "brand names" like "Aspirin" or "Motrin" or "Aleve" which are NOT pharmaceutical names but are brand names. Look for what the active ingredient is: If it is Ibuprofen, it will say so.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

After hearing this, I checked with my doctor about my meds and Ibuprofen. Verdict: stick to Tylenol.

++ New Posts ++