WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I carried three thin, cushy insoles, each a different kind. And 3 pairs of socks, each different. I could change the layers around, more layers, more cushion, less cushion, fluffy socks, thin socks. It kept my feet guessing. Elevating them when resting and sleeping helps hugely, too. My limit before the hike used to be 16 miles before I would be hobbling in pain. On the trail I got that up to the high 20s.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I agree w/ the trail runner suggestion or just running shoes. I went through 3 pairs of Asics in 900 miles this summer. They dry quicker, are more comfortable, and so much lighter than boots. Never had an issue w/ blisters. Had to duct tape a couple spots the first 2 weeks but after that no worries. Oh, definitely super feet. I did have insoles.

I took boots off every break ( like every 2 hours) for 10 minutes. in beginning of hike then every other break and always off for lunch. It seems like a pain but I got used to doing it and my feet liked it. I also rotated my socks( smart wool) wore one pair and had other pair hanging off pack drying. For me this piece of advise I was givin kept my feet it great shape.

There is a ton of great advice in the previous threads. Obviously, you will want to experiment and discover what works for you.

The one thing that I would add for consideration is that this tape seemed to be a better alternative than duct tape. At the FIRST SIGN of a hot spot we slapped a piece of Leukotape P Sports Tape on the affected area. Tag-along and I as we made it all the way to Katahdin without any major blister issues.

In line with one of Spokes comments, hot spots and blisters became much less of a concern later in our thru hike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++