So I am planning my first long distance hike on the LT this summer and something just happened to me that kinda freaked me out about going. I still plan on going but would like some advice. Long story short, this past Friday at work we had a Chinese food buffet. I ate and felt ok. After about an hr or so after eating I started having pretty bad stomach pains which I chalked up as gas pains. Went on my usual business drove home did not feel so great did not eat dinner that night and went to bed feeling pretty awful. Woke up Saturday morning in tears, almost passed out, getting out of bed, my GF (the best GF in the world) helped me to her car and rushed me to the emergency room in tears. I was completely immobilized, could not lift my right leg more then a few inches off the ground, etc. etc. Wheeled me into the ER and they diagnosed me as having APENDICITIS ouch....it hurt...got me under the knife within an hr of being admitted...spent 4 days in the hospital and got home late last night. I am still felling pretty down but doing better. This really freaked me out about my hike this summer on the LT....I know you cant live life with a what if this happens or what if that happens attitude but WHAT DO YOU DO when your hiking on the trail by your self and something like this happens. Are their any good books or information out there on how to handle emergencies on the trail when hiking by your self. Of course take ever precaution, don’t do any thing stupid but what about the un-controllable like Appendicitis, or any number of things that could incapacitate a person on the trail. I know hiking has a lot of risk involved when going along but this incident really freaked me out. Has any thing like this happened to any one....stories...antidotes....precautions one can take....what if this would of happened on the trail…..I don’t want this experience to stop me from going on my hike but it made me realize that there is a lot more preparation involved then just buying gear (obv). So I am looking for stories, personal situations, best ways to handle emergencies… any good books….and what to do’s….I know there are a hundred and one different scenarios but looking for some guidance…thanks WB