WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Under Armor under cloths

What do you guys think about this stuff compared to the almighty Smartwool and stuff?
    YeW

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

under armor stuff only keeps you warm if your actually doing something. At least the regular stuff i used to use while playing sports. That said i absolutely love their boxerbriefs. I had some chafing issues and found that their underwear was the only thing that kept me from chafing. I now wear their underwear religiously lol.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Like Chance said the boxer briefs are great for chaff prevention, apart from that most everything they make is a bunch of overpriced crap. Yeah, they wick well, but so do lots of other fabrics for half the cost. The best thin, wicking shirts I've found are made from Visa Endurance fabric. It will outlast the Xcrap 3 to 1.

Thanks for the responses so far. They are pretty expensive but cheaper than some smartwool. I actually already bought a shirt today and was hoping I didn't make a bad decision. Should have got the undies I guess
    YeW

+1 for the relatively long-legged boxer briefs --- i.e., long enough to prevent chafing. For me at least, these are perfect for distance hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    under armor stuff only keeps you warm if your actually doing something. At least the regular stuff i used to use while playing sports. That said i absolutely love their boxerbriefs. I had some chafing issues and found that their underwear was the only thing that kept me from chafing. I now wear their underwear religiously lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    +1 for the relatively long-legged boxer briefs --- i.e., long enough to prevent chafing. For me at least, these are perfect for distance hiking.

Long boxer briefs, best thing since sliced bread.

i use their compression shorts. love em. totally different type of garment from SW.

Images

The boxers won't keep you warm. If you are between sizes, look at the boxer jock. It is not a jock, but is cut slimmer compared to the brief. Sort of a supportive pouch. Legs not as long.

I love them for everyday wear.

The coldgear leggings will keep you warm, if you are moving. Shed wind like crazy. On sale ($10 off-big wow) this weekend's flyers.

C9 boxers at Target won't last as long, or feel as sinful, but they are cheaper.

I freaking love the boxer briefs. They help so much with chafing. I have to agree everything but the briefs are extremly overpriced...

i use their compression shorts. love em.
    Me too. Two pair took me all the way thru the AT without any chafing problems. Well worth the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    A vote for the LONG boxer jocks. Gotta get the 9-inch inseam version, IMO.

That is the ONLY Under Armor product I use for backpacking. But of all the clothing I use I find it's the one I would not part with.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Another agreeance for the underwear, I use the 9" inseam boxerjock for backpacking and daily use now. Definetly prevents any chafing for me and that right there is worth the cost no matter what. Find them on sale for 15 and that is less than what I pay for a lot of underwear previously. I also have two sets of the coldgear 1.0 thermals that I wear as my baselayer for walking and one set to sleep in. For walking I wear the thermals and a pair of zip off pants and a simple hiking shirt. Will probably go tomorrow and find a set of wind shirt/pants. All I really need pretty much for winter backpacking while actually moving. I had searched for a cheap set of thermals for a while and found the UA ones to be the cheapest of all the big names so bought them.

Images

Default Merino wool is the bomb!

I like the smart wool. Whatever wicking heatgear you own with whatever scent killer you'd like to think it has, it cannot perform comparable to Smartwool. I REALLY like the stuff. It's warmer if you're not moving, warm when wet, it wicks because it's hollow and long fibered (merino) when you do sweat. It doesn't melt were it to come into contact with a flame.

As far as drawers who needs'um go commando and use the glide stuff.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    As far as drawers who needs'um go commando and use the glide stuff.
    Gotta disagree with you there my friend! Depends on individual anatomy. I might be able to get by with body glide alone, but prefer compression underwear as the first line of defense against chaffing (scrotum to thigh). The body glide (as you were first hand witness on our recent hike together of my event) is great for the rare occasion you get a hot spot that causes chaffing with compression underwear. Saved me big time at Iron Mountain Shelter!

Images

I get a lot for free from my work. The only two things worth getting is the long boxer brief things everyone is talking about and they also make a 95% polyester T shirt thats nice. they have a lot of other nice stuff but its little use while hiking and it is over priced. there are other less expensive options out there. walmart and target both have versions of the boxer brief things that are less that half the price.

Images

:banana Commando anatomy

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Gotta disagree with you there my friend! Depends on individual anatomy. I might be able to get by with body glide alone, but prefer compression underwear as the first line of defense against chaffing (scrotum to thigh). The body glide (as you were first hand witness on our recent hike together of my event) is great for the rare occasion you get a hot spot that causes chaffing with compression underwear. Saved me big time at Iron Mountain Shelter!
    Owe... it hurts! he was squealing like a lil' princess then proceeds to drop his pants and shove body glide.. you get the picture. I had to turn my head away. Somethin about necked men.. I'd heard of grape nuts but I'd never...ewe to late - done been mooned.

nasty old man ewe...scarred for life ewe-ewe-ewe
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikenSalem View Post
    Owe... it hurts! he was squealing like a lil' princess then proceeds to drop his pants and shove body glide.. you get the picture. I had to turn my head away. Somethin about necked men.. I'd heard of grape nuts but I'd never...ewe to late - done been mooned.

nasty old man ewe...scarred for life ewe-ewe-ewe
    Yeah, turned your head away, but I saw you peeking through your fingers, you pervert! :-)

Images

I recently discovered Reebok boxers at Dick's. Half the price of UA. I wear them everyday. Not just hiking. Uh, that might be too much information.

UA stuff is good, especially for chilly, but not cold, weather. Their stuff is really overpriced, though. Since that material is so popular now, you can almost always find another brand that's just as good for half the price.

The Starter brand stuff at Walmart is really cheap if you are on a tight budget like me. And it's fine for day hikes.

I have a couple UA polo shirts and they are the most comfortable shirts I own, hands down.

I think wool and 100% poly baselayers have better warmth to weight ratios.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    I like the long boxerbriefs too because I have an extremely large scrote.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++