WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New REI Coming!

Default New REI Coming!

Good news for those in the NYC area. My local paper reports that REI has filed plans to open a store in Norwalk CT just adjacent to Exit 14 of I-95. No opening date was indicated, and obviously it would be some time off. It will be located in a former Linens 'N Things building. The street address will be 189 Connecticut Avenue (Rte 1).

There's a diner right across the street. I mention this because I always seem to want to stop at the Tom Sawyer Diner when I go to Campmor.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Now if only they'd open one in the NY third of the tri state area...

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Take it from somebody who just slept outside overnight for the opening of a new REI in East Hanover, NJ...

Don't sleep outside overnight for the opening of a new REI store.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Take it from somebody who just slept outside overnight for the opening of a new REI in East Hanover, NJ...

lol, were they supposed to have some amazing "store opening" deals?
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

First 200 people in get gift cards, varying from $200, $100, $50, $25, $20 and $5.

I thought if the store manager had to step over me to get into his store in the morning, he'd know who to give the $200 card to.

Guess which denomination I got!
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Yay! (not that I need anything...)

For the foreseeable future I'll be living in place where the closest REI is 361 miles away. Free shipping to the nearest store is out of the question.

Last time I was in an REI was Atlanta a few years ago.

I had to buy some yupscale outdoorsy-type clothing because I was working at trade show.

The store was really good for that.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like Rei over Ems and I am glad I have a membership.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I don't know about you, Jack, but I tend to look at a lot more items than I buy. It doesn't intimidate me to browse through upscale items that I either don't want or wouldn't/couldn't spend my money on. I sometimes go to museums and art galleries, too, and for similar reasons. I learn a lot by seeing things "in the flesh."

I appreciate the opportunity to touch the goods and trying things on. On average I don't suppose I spend $50 per visit to REI, and usually a lot less. If I can do that without driving hundreds of miles, so much the better.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chatzi View Post
    Now if only they'd open one in the NY third of the tri state area...
    I think there used to be one in NY, Rye maybe, I don't really remember where. There must be a reason it closed.

Images

They're already making NY'ers pay full sales tax (which is 8.875 percent in NYC).

So they might as well give us a store.

REI, great outdoor store, I've never been to an REI and not enjoyed just looking around, (except of course, for all the yuppies running around the stores buying $300 NF coats for their 6 year old). I have been a member for a long time and I would say visit the store early on a work day, no one around, you might have the store to yourself, its fun just to try on the new backpacks.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Good news for those in the NYC area. My local paper reports that REI has filed plans to open a store in Norwalk CT just adjacent to Exit 14 of I-95. No opening date was indicated, and obviously it would be some time off. It will be located in a former Linens 'N Things building. The street address will be 189 Connecticut Avenue (Rte 1).

There's a diner right across the street. I mention this because I always seem to want to stop at the Tom Sawyer Diner when I go to Campmor.
    For folks who live in Southern CT and Westchester County, NY, it's nice to have an REI closer. When I lived in the Washington DC area for many years, I heavily patronized the REI in College Park.

But it certainly isn't worthwhile for anyone in North Jersey or Rockland County to cross the Tappen Zee to visit REI when you're still closer to Campmor, IMO the best outfitter on the planet.

Incidentally Grouse, my cousin lives in Wilton. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

I, along with other friends, make trips to Asheville for the primary purpose of going to REI, but we always squeeze in some sort of outdoor pursuit.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

First 200 people in get gift cards, varying from $200, $100, $50, $25, $20 and $5.

I thought if the store manager had to step over me to get into his store in the morning, he'd know who to give the $200 card to.

Guess which denomination I got!
    Yeah they did that same promotion when they opened the 2nd Charlotte store last year. I chose not to attend because I always lose when it comes to chance.
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

I like REI, but you have to take it for what it is - a large chain. When I go there I don't have expectations that I'll find a super knowledgeable staff person but more often than not, I get surprised. Typically I already know what I want anyway.

Personally I prefer support local outfitters but there are none near me. The nearest REI is 40 miles away.

I was there the other day. Disappointed as well, better than EMS though. But no where near as good as campmor.

Images

Went to the grand opening of Richmond REI and found some sales associates more knowledgable than others.

While searching the Thermarest binds for the NeoAir and not finding it anywhere I was startled when a sales assoc. loudly announced his presence by asking me if he could be of any assistance.
    I was suprised to no end that when I asked him about where the NeoAir bind was he said he had never even heard of it .

Now I may not know jack about gear but if hired to work at REI you would think one might want to bone up on the merchandise that you were obviously going to need to know
    Another employee didn't know any more about the various stoves they had on the shelf than I did.

Hire me REI , I would read up like gang busters on everything that I needed to know and if I didn't know, lead them to someone that did know.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Oops ! bin , not binds. Naw , I don't need no stinkin' speilchex..
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++