WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pennsylvania Hike Ideas?

I am currently in Lewisburg, PA, which is about an hour north of Harrisburg, PA. I am looking for a good, preferably challenging, day hike that I could do. Does anybody know any good trails that are within reasonable driving distance? (I would travel about an hour or two maximum).

I know the AT is within an hour or so of where I am from, if you could point me to any good parts along this trail near me that would be great too.

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pattydivins View Post
    I am currently in Lewisburg, PA, which is about an hour north of Harrisburg, PA. I am looking for a good, preferably challenging, day hike that I could do. Does anybody know any good trails that are within reasonable driving distance? (I would travel about an hour or two maximum).

I know the AT is within an hour or so of where I am from, if you could point me to any good parts along this trail near me that would be great too.

Thanks!
    www.localhikes.com

Images

Lehigh Gap is a great hike

Images

The mid state trail in right in your back yard it a nice trail better than the AT

That looks like a nice trail, do you know of any good climbs within this particular area that I could check out for the day?

take route 192 18 miles easy until you reach R.B. Winter State Park. It should be on your right. There are service roads, hiking trails, mountain biking trails, and cross-country skiing trail. Apparently the Mid State Trail also runs through Bald Eagle State Forest (which R.B. Winter is a part of) but I have yet to check it out. If you stop by Vargo Outdoors (www.vargooutdoors.com) on market street, you should be able to pick up a guide book and may even be able to talk to Brian Vargo, the owner and AT thru-hiker, and he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Donnie

Images

Default F Y I

It's snowing as I tap on my keyboard here in Pennsylvania's Green Diamond. As I recall, the forecast was for 1 inch at best. We now have more than an inch on the ground where I live. Anyone planning to get somewhere tomorrow morning might want to take what I've posted into consideration.

Just today I went hiking around in R.B. Winter. I'd say I hike about 4-5 miles with my buddy during the snowstorm. It was awesome to be out there in these conditions..

Images

Default Tomorrow

It could be a beautiful sight to see depending upon where you happen to be in Pennsylvania. A group I support has its Christmas open house tomorrow. I hope we get more and the snow sticks. It's not often we get snow at Christmas anymore.

I am interested in hiking the vistas section of the Allegheny Front Trail...

http://alleghenyfronttrail.info/aftfrt.html

Does anyone know of a loop that I could follow for this for a day hike? Where is a good trailhead for me to start hiking?

Does anyone know of a loop that I could follow for this for a day hike? Where is a good trailhead for me to start hiking?
    I have done that trail last summer.

I wouldn't do it again. It was an okay hike but the vistas aren't real. Also you go through a logging section that they cut down all the trees with trail markers on it. Spent an hour looking for the trail on the other side. The trail has little or no upkeep. we found multiple times we lost the trail. even at one point we walked on a hunters path for about 2 miles until we realized that wasn't it.
    21.1% Done

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    I have done that trail last summer.

I wouldn't do it again. It was an okay hike but the vistas aren't real. Also you go through a logging section that they cut down all the trees with trail markers on it. Spent an hour looking for the trail on the other side. The trail has little or no upkeep. we found multiple times we lost the trail. even at one point we walked on a hunters path for about 2 miles until we realized that wasn't it.
    Is that the same as the Allegheny Trail which goes through West Virginia to the PA border? I couldn't tell from the link.

Living in Lewisburg (Bucknell land), you're not real far from the Black Forest Trail west of Williamsport. I hiked it in early October. Very picturesque with both easy and challenging sections. Check out this thread and send a PM to Toolshed who's hike it a lot.

For future reference, further from you but a very nice trail in SW PA is the 70-mile Laurel Highlands Trail. In addition to providing a rewarding hike, the southern terminus lies in Ohiopyle State Park where you can paddle the Youghiogheny or cycle the Great Allegheny Passage.

If you want vistas, go here - especially the loop above the Thousand Steps.

If you want climbs, head for the Greenwood Spur, Ramsey, or Little Pine SP areas of Mid State Trail - and Black Forest Trail - not that the over 1,100 high stone steps of the "Thousand Steps" is a slacker in that department.

I have done the vista section of AFT parking somewhere off of PA 504 and circling back on the forestry road Underwood Road. People seem to be happier with the other end of the loop - Lower Sixmile Run and the Red Mo, though I haven't done it myself.

In PA, the quality of the trail and the quality of the trail's website don't necessarily correlate well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Is that the same as the Allegheny Trail which goes through West Virginia to the PA border? I couldn't tell from the link.
    No, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

No, This trail is need Penn state main campus and Philipsburg, PA. It's a 40ish mile loop trail. The only positive thing I could think of about it is there is tons of water even in mid summer.
    21.1% Done

++ New Posts ++