WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Limmer Boots

Images

Post Limmer Boots

I'm looking into a pair of these boots. I dont want to buy a new pair of boots while I'm on this trail. I've heard that these boot are bomb proof, and was wondering if anyone had a pair, and would want to tell me how they are.

From what I understand, they have a year or two waiting list for the sized boot! The company makes the boot to the size of your feet and I have heard nothing but good things about this company (which is based out of N.H.). Good luck, if your interested, I would contact them and schudule a visit, as your not too far in Jersey.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

LL Bean used to sell non-custom made Limmers. Looking on their site, that does not appear to be the case anymore.

If you Google search, you can still some places kicking around that sells them:
    http://www.rmconnection.com/Limmer_boots.htm

I understand not wanting to go through too many boots, but be aware even if you get a pair in time for your thru-hike, the standard bomber Limmers need a LONG break in period and may be overkill for for a hike for a well maintained trail like the AT. (The lightweight ones you can still order and find for sale probably last about the same as any traditional leather boot)

If you are not sold on trail runners, you may want to look into a lighter boot that takes less break in time and will perhaps not be as heavy on your feet for a whole day of hiking.

The problem with boots that last a whole trail is that they can be harder on your feet, more tiring and may not be the right shoe for a trail vs. more mountaineering type activities that the original Limmers were designed for. People have done the trail(s) in Limmers..but there just may be a better option for you.

Just a thought anyway.

[quote=double d;929982]From what I understand, they have a year or two waiting list for the sized boot! [QUOTE]

Seems like five years now.

http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Heavy...too heavy. You can buy many pairs of other boots for what you'll pay for limmers. If your boots need work it takes lots of time and they don't fit the same.

Images

What?! 5 year wait? haha i guess i'm not getting them, im planning on heading out on a thru hike this march.

overrated and overpriced

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    overrated and overpriced
    Have you ever owned a pair?

Clyde

Images

One doesn't need to have owned a pair to start an argument about them. Limmer Custom Boots now sell for $625 according what's posted on PL&S's website.

I sometimes like to argue about them and I've owned a pair of customs and standard heavyweights, but I'm too busy for it today. My Limmer-inspired rant some time ago was fun to write.

Can you dig it?
    Images

i bought my limmers in 2005 while I worked as a crewman at Greenleaf hut and I have to say that I love them. There is nothing like the ritual of greasing them up once a month and the feel of them after they are good and broken in. If I had to have 1 pair of shoes to whear for the rest of my life it would be them, they are a great all around boot and look sharp too.

That said i wouldn't wear them on a thru-hike if I could avoid it, they are ungodly heavy.

There is something to be said for a handcrafted boot with a lifetime warranty. Nothing but rave reviews here.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    One doesn't need to have owned a pair to start an argument about them. Limmer Customs now sell for $625 according what's posted on PL&S's website.

I sometimes like to argue about them and I've owned a pair, but I'm too busy for it today. My Limmer-inspired rant sometime ago was fun at the time.
    If you are implying that the price tag is to high, buy your shoes at Walmart. It is difficult to find quality stuff anymore. Everybody wants to buy new shoes for 60 dollars, twice a year at Wally World instead of good stuff that last.

Clyde

Images

Who, me? I wasn't implying anything. The Limmers could charge more and still have a waiting list. Their boots aren't overpriced, nor are they too heavy.

I bought a pair of the lightweight off-the-shelf Limmers about 18 months ago directly from the Limmer website. I believe these are actually made in Barvaria. Excellent quality and design; only one seam on the entire boot and it's on the instep. I followed the guidelines for ordering, sizing,etc. Even sent in a sketching of both of my feet (pretty standard 11 D). My left foot is a shade larger than the right.

Try as I might, the boots just did not work for me. I tried numerous hikes, numerous socks and lacing patterns...and I still got blisters. After a while I decided this is just crazy and sold them on Ebay, hopefully to someone who will enjoy them. I'm sure it was just a sizing issue, perhaps they were a little large for my feet, but I HATE boots that are too snug and kill your toes on the downhills. You have to realize on a long hike your feet most likely will grow an average of 1/2 to 1 whole shoe size !

After selling them, I tried on boots from a 1/2 dozen different manufacturers and finally settled for a pair of the Scarpa Kalish..size 46 EU which is approx a 12.5 US. These were...BOOT NIRVANA...100 miles of hiking since new and they were comfortable right out of the box.

I must say that Limmer was very responsive to my phone calls and concerns. They offered advise and suggestions but this particular pair was just not right for me. The legendary quality was there alright, but fit is EVERYTHING.

If you do decide to go with Limmers, I would suggest trying to scarf up a pair on ebay. They show up fairly regularly in standard sizes and they are usually broken in already by the previous owner. That way if they don't work for you, you can always resell them for probably close to what you paid.

Bottom line is they are great boots, albeit a little heavy for a hike such as the AT. I enjoy doing business with US companies that produce a great product and are there if you need them. Limmer is one of the few still around.

There are plenty of options out there and I, for one, prefer the support of a good trail boot with ankle support. If you do go with the Limmers, I hope they work for you..........

I have a pair of customs. Paid a lot and waited a long time to get them. They are indeed heavy but I really liked them and wore them for much of the AT. The problem for me was when the soles wore down and I paid a lot to get them redone. A trainee made them too small and they were never again comfortable. I tried to get them adjusted at Limmer's but was unsuccessful. They wanted me to tie the laces so tight that my feet screamed and that"s when I lost faith in the shoe. I then switched to lightweight hikers from Bean's and never looked back. Now I think "What was I thinking?" Any interest in a set of 9 1/2 wide Limmers?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have a pair of customs. Paid a lot and waited a long time to get them. They are indeed heavy but I really liked them and wore them for much of the AT. The problem for me was when the soles wore down and I paid a lot to get them redone. A trainee made them too small and they were never again comfortable. I tried to get them adjusted at Limmer's but was unsuccessful. They wanted me to tie the laces so tight that my feet screamed and that"s when I lost faith in the shoe. I then switched to lightweight hikers from Bean's and never looked back. Now I think "What was I thinking?" Any interest in a set of 9 1/2 wide Limmers?
    I bought my first and last pair of Limmer midweights in 2001 and won't ever take the plunge again. Poor customer service, a long drawn out story involving unwaxed welt thread, flapping boot soles, seemingly covered by the warranty, $100 repair bill afterwards, warranty voided due to me putting glue in the boot for a field repair. Etc.

No matter how much Limmer boot grease I used I could never get the things waterproof and so they ended up soaked and frozen for most of my winter trips. And heavy. And after about 12-15 miles my feet were sore, no so with the run of the mill Asolos FSN 95s. Problem is, I have to buy new Asolos every 2 years. The only good thing about Limmers? They can be repaired and so will last for 20 years. And if you just leave them in the closet, they can last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger'02 View Post
    i bought my limmers in 2005 while I worked as a crewman at Greenleaf hut and I have to say that I love them. There is nothing like the ritual of greasing them up once a month and the feel of them after they are good and broken in. If I had to have 1 pair of shoes to whear for the rest of my life it would be them, they are a great all around boot and look sharp too.
    That said i wouldn't wear them on a thru-hike if I could avoid it, they are ungodly heavy.

There is something to be said for a handcrafted boot with a lifetime warranty. Nothing but rave reviews here.
    BS on the lifetime warranty. in 92 i hiked with a guy whose limmers sole was peeling off prematurely. he sent the boots to limmer from Va, when we got to NH where he lived we went to the limmer place, got his boots and he had to pay $50

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    If you are implying that the price tag is to high, buy your shoes at Walmart. It is difficult to find quality stuff anymore. Everybody wants to buy new shoes for 60 dollars, twice a year at Wally World instead of good stuff that last.

Clyde
    WOW... 625.00 and i thought my Asolo's where expensive however thats just my oppinion i like the asolo 520 mid weight and have good supoport on my ancle's
    GRAVY

Images

yeah i dont think I'll be going with limmer just yet, i have been hearing good things about scarpa, I think i'll do some research into them.

I like the concept of Limmer Boots. Made in USA, heavy leather that you maintain by oiling, Norwegian welt with unwaxed thread so the natural cotton fibers expand adding to the water resistance, one seam, durable, resolable.

Limmers versus Asolo, (Vasque/Merrel/fill in the blank), is like carburator -vs- fuel injection. I guess when tshtf you can sew on a new sole to a Limmer boot or rejet a carburator with a screw driver.

I put them in the catagory of the old Swiss mountaineering packs. There is just something about harkening back to the good old days of canvas, leather and wool that apeals to me.

Now, with that said, I have carried a 9lb Swiss mountaineering pack with 55lbs of gear, slept in a canvas tent that weighed 5lbs dry, (12lbs wet), under which I was curled up in the fetal position in the mud shivering and freezing with a sopping wool blanket, (5lbs dry 12lbs wet - warmth aaallll the way down to 65F!) when it was 45 degrees. Some of that equipment is older than my parents and will out live my children.

I have never worn any shoe on my foot that compares to the bliss experienced in a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX 11Wide. They currently have around 500 miles on them and look like they could go twice that far again. There was no break in time to speak of. I put them on, went on a 2 day hike, each day hiked 10 miles and never had a blister, hot spot or any trouble. So as far as it requiring 2 pairs to complete a full 2,100 mile thru hike; big deal. Throw the old pair away, strap on the new pair and hike a full day without missing a beat. The new high tech equipment and materials are just tough to beat.

I do like the fact that Limmers are made in the USA by people who enjoy their work, and if there was not a multi year waiting list, this alone might be enough to pursuade me into buying a pair and breaking out the ol' Swiss pack and gear again!

Actually, njordan2, when I called Karl Limmer about my sorry boots, he told me they used a erroneous batch of Unwaxed welt thread in a recent boot run when they should of used Waxed, and explained that the constant rubbing of the unwaxed thread led to their quick separation. The warranty would've covered this mix up had I not squirted a bunch of Barge cement into the footbed and upper sole. Bottom line? They should've sent me a new pair w/o question.

Default Limmer Products.

I have a pair of off the shelf Standard Limmer boots. They are for winter use only. Keep in mind, the standard model is for mountaineering. They are excellent for that purpose. I use use them for climbing Colorado peaks in the winter. They are excellent. On all other trails, I use trail runners. I do use them for hiking in snow regardless of the location. I also have worn the same pair of Limmer Walkers everyday at work for the past 3 years. If I was going to thru hike the AT, I would definately use my Vaque Trail Runners.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++