WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default How do you explain it to a "whuffo?"

I used to skydive a few years ago.

Some people are unable to understand why someone would want to skydive. Skydivers call these people "whuffos", which comes from the question "Whuffo you jump out of them perfeckly-good airplanes?"

Other activities also have their whuffos as well. So how do you explain to a whuffo why you'd ever want to hike 2000+ miles straight?

The only answers I can come up with are that I love hiking and backpacking, and that thru-hiking the A.T. is something I've always wanted to do.

So essentially I'm left with "explaining" that I want to thru-hike the AT because, um, I want to.

So essentially I'm left with "explaining" that I want to thru-hike the AT because, um, I want to.

[/quote]

that pretty much sums it up.

Images

Ever thought about asking them whuffo they lay on a couch and watch other people do interesting and exciting things instead of becoming a manatee lookalike?
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post

Some people are unable to understand why someone would want to skydive. Skydivers call these people "whuffos", which comes from the question "Whuffo you jump out of them perfeckly-good airplanes?"

Other activities also have their whuffos as well. So how do you explain to a whuffo why you'd ever want to hike 2000+ miles straight?

The only answers I can come up with are that I love hiking and backpacking, and that thru-hiking the A.T. is something I've always wanted to do.

Why would you want to hike 2000 miles straight?
    Tell them that it's much easier than hiking 2000 miles drunk or high.

The closest I ever come to making it stick in the teflon brains of the human ball of earthworms called society is that I do it for exercise and fresh air - then come the questions about snakes, bears, and wild mountain people (the last one's easy - I just tell them that I'm the wildest thing out there ).
    Fresh air they understand, exercise - maybe not so much.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Ever thought about asking them whuffo they lay on a couch and watch other people do interesting and exciting things instead of becoming a manatee lookalike?
    On reflection that could use some work, but it's been a while since everyone's had a laugh at my expense.

Go nuts.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have found that overwhelmingly, people understood why I would do such a thing and even had some envy about it. The only things they really struggled with were the idea of doing it alone and the fear of wildlife. Except maybe for one person, anyone who didn't understand pretty much kept it to themselves, maybe made jokes, but weren't drooling morons about it. The one exception was actually aggressive about how wrong it was to hike alone. I just nod my head and ignore.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Tell them you're trying to find alien landing sites- at least it'll make them turn around and fly off pretty quickly... (Well, with my luck, I'd get the guy who said "Me too!")
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I haven't come across that yet. Acquaintances have to the person told me that they thought that it was totally cool. People closer to me, family mostly, are the ones that are skeptical of it being a good idea. That's rooted mostly in concern for my well-being. Not just stupidly not having the capacity to understand.

But if it finally comes up, my answer is, "It beats working."

Images

When George Mallory was asked why he wanted to climb Mt Everest, he uttered probably the finest three-word answer in history to such questions:

"Because it's there."

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

This is a question I use to ask myself while cycling, because I've experienced a similar reaction from people that ask: "What do you get out of cycling?" I've been asked it plenty of times by co-workers when I get to work soaking wet or freezing cold from my 20+ mile commute to work.

I asked my self because I could never come up with an answer to satisfy their curiosity.

All I can say is that for some unknown reason we humans get addicted to certain activities; who is to say that the satisfaction/pleasure I feel from cycling or hiking is better than someone that is addictied to the game of chess or whatever. Yet, that's how we discuss this, by comparing which is better and why.

It's actually a pretty deep question, but most of us seem to want to argue (on a very superficial level) why our activity is superior to another, in complete ignorance of the larger issue or question.

A lot of people have their own odd dreams, and so they can understand at least a little bit when you say that this is something you've always wanted to do. For them, it may be sailing around the world, owning a farm, starting a business, writing a book, etc. Different dreams, but they have some idea of having a dream and pursuing it.

It has been a real treat when I run into somebody else who actually followed their hearts and lived their dreams. I remember the woman who had worked her way around the world. Or the bicyclists who had spent months exploring Europe. Or the aid worker in Indonesia. I knew we were kindred spirits - even though our dreams were so different. Every once in a while some stranger will meet us on the trail, talk to us a few minutes and it's obvious from the look in their eye that they really do Get It.

OTOH, I've met people who just looked at us as if we were from Mars. A woman in NM who asked, "How can you leave your family and friends for that long?" Another who said, "You camp, outdoors, for six months? WHY????" For some people, the forests, mountains and deserts are truly alien and hostile environments. They can't understand that some of us feel totally at home there. Some can't imagine taking the physical or financial risks that go with long distance hiking. "You may not find a job when you get back." Yep, that's true. But it is less important than the fact that life is short, and if I wait until retirement, I may not be able to do the things I want to do. So I'll risk both injury and poverty. Truly an alien worldview to many people.

Images

I heard a saying a couple of days ago that goes something like this:

"To those who know, no explanation is necessary. To those who don't, no explanation is sufficient."

"The one exception was actually aggressive about how wrong it was to hike alone."
    I had one like that last month, having a meal with several people and the topic came up. One fellow --- overall a nice guy --- lectured me for quite some time on how doing what I had done was really risky and (clearly implied, irresponsible, foolish). He went on to tell me about how dangerous bear encounters can be with several little antecdotes that he had heard about or read about, etc.

The only thing that really torqued me off about this was me not getting a word in edgewise until the conversation moving on to another topic. I guess there will always be armchair experts ready to educate us about the things that we've done and that they've read something about!

OTOH, I find it uncomfortable when my hike becomes the topic of conversation for any length of time. The trick that works best for me to avoid feeling like I'm becoming a bore is to turn it around and ask them:
    "If you were to go on a life adventure for 6 months somewhere, what would it be?"

Without keeping any careful notes, responses have of course varied but the most common theme has been something ocean-related: from the more adventurous "sail around the world" to just a long conventional cruise. One person didn't know but the question stayed in her mind to the point where she thought it through and sent me a long email later to lay out her dream.

So I think the best "whuffo" response is to draw them out, get them talking in terms of their own big-assed dream if they have one, or to think (even just hypothetically) about what it might be if they don't. In that context, even if they aren't into the mechanics of backpacking, it seems likely that most folks will understand.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

This question must be a whole lot easier for you guys to answer than it was for me. My dad and I went to Maine in july, stopped in SNP on the way back and read a few boards about the trail, stopped in a vacant parking lot and i hiked a bit (40 mins. round trip) came back out... i wanna hike it... skip to church the next sunday, and i'm getting grilled by about 20 <15 yo's r ya gunna get ate up ba a baer? and by now, it's only a passing are you still gonna do that?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

And of what value was the journey? It is as well for those who ask such questions that there are others who feel the answer and never need to ask.

-- Wally Herbert, polar explorer
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post

OTOH, I find it uncomfortable when my hike becomes the topic of conversation for any length of time. The trick that works best for me to avoid feeling like I'm becoming a bore is to turn it around and ask them:
    "If you were to go on a life adventure for 6 months somewhere, what would it be?"

I like that and I'm going to remember it when it comes up. Thanks for that Brian!

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I had one guy ask why on earth I would walk the trail over 2,000 miles to Maine. Just told him, cuz that's where the end is. His eyes rolled back in deep thought as I turned and walked away. That was a good day.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post

Whuffos are people who really aren't looking for an answer. They are only trying to shut you up about your sky diving or hiking. Seriously dude, no one really cares, so give your friends and family a break. Get over yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I find it uncomfortable when my hike becomes the topic of conversation for any length of time. The trick that works best for me to avoid feeling like I'm becoming a bore is to turn it around and ask them:
    Yeah, I sometimes feel uncomfortable about talking about it too long, unless it's with someone who is thinking about doing it themselves. I don't like feeling like I'm turning into a zoo creature. It really does help to turn the conversation over to the other person.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++