WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How cold is it

Images

Mid to high 70's today.

Journal Entries
    Images

It got so cold last night my goat jumped the fence and was headbutting the front door so we would let her
    All endeavors require some blood, I just wish it wasn't always my blood:)

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

4 degrees at 8:30 this morning, wind chill waaaay below that. All the way up to 15 degrees now, but my pipes have frozen underneath the house in spite of the insulation. Inside the house, the temperature has never risen above 45 degrees. I am wearing four layers of clothing, including merino top and bottom plus unifold (wool, nylon) top and bottom plus heavy warmups under my heaviest LLBean long thermolyte coat. Add to that the fleece baby bonnet that Rockdancer made for me, and you've got a very funny looking snow-woman still "freezing" in her own home.

Yesterday I found out that Grayson Highlands had 14" snow fall last week.

I'm eager for this to be gone, dadgumit.

Whining,

Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

This morning registered at 10 degrees per my new thermometer but 6 per the Weather Channel. Yesterday afternoon I arrive home from a 3-night New Years trip to frozen pipes. They finally thawed a few hours ago but something's amiss with my hot water heater. Looks like an expensive plumbing bill tomorrow!

Today's high reached 22 but the night lows for the whole week are expected in the low teens. My little fish pond is well-frozen.

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Was 11 degrees here in White House, TN (30 miles N of Nashville) at 6am this morning. Wind Chill was 4 degrees... Brought in our German Shepherd and Labrador Retriever last night.

Randy

Images

Our first real snow in two years...five inches. Love it.
    We will take it over our usual ice anytime. But it is very cold. Low teens. Cold wind.
    I was thinking about the AT hikers that already started...bitter cold for them. Hope they stay safe.

Images

Wore what I plan to hike in over the next few weeks down in Pa tonight. did a short 3 mile walk about an hour after the sun went down was 14 when I headed out and it was still snowing and blowing. Figure the windchill had it just about zero or a bit below. The beard was pretty well iced over by the time I made it home but everything else was feeling good so I am all set for my hikes it won't be much worse than what I went out in tonight.

I still miss the real cold of out west when 14 was high temp and the girl scouts wouldn't even start selling cookies until it was below zero for a week or so.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

it was in the single digits along the AT in the Smokies over our annual New Years trip...probably close to -10 or so with the wind chill. we got 4 inches of fresh snow while we were there and there was already 4 inches or so on the ground.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

-15F with a wind chill of -25 to -30 first thing this morning. I think the high is supposed to be 2F.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Images

Default cold

At Mile marker 641 it was 9 degrees this morning.....Sat it was 12 and we did a short 5 mile hike not too bad....just kept moving and we were fine.

snow and real freeeeeeeeking cold single digits all week

It is winter. It is cold. Happens every year. This cold will be blamed on industrial nations.
    Climate change ( no longer called Global warming) happens every time the seasons change.
    Moses

Images

-10 last night at Newfound Gap in the Smokies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++