WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Catholic Mass in the NE

I am currently planning a section hike starting at the White Mountains (VT) and ending at Katahdin. The problem is, once I get into Maine it is very hard to find trial towns close enough to attend a Catholic Mass on Sundays (or Saturday nights).

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? I am a devout Catholic and I am required to attend a Catholic service every Sunday, so I cannot substitute another denomination's service. The only solution I have come up with is to pay a huge taxi fare to be ferried to towns that are within fifty miles of the trail every Sunday... this will end up being very expensive.

Thanks for your input!

Matt, for questions like this in the future you may want to post them in the Straight Forward section so you don't get BS answers like the one Toolshed just gave you.

As you plan your trip you will know which towns you will be at each Saturday. I bet if you contact each church with your location (hostel, hotel) that someone from each church would volunteer to come shuttle on Saturday nite or Sunday morning.

I also bet your Priest could give you some alternatives if you should happen to miss a Sunday due to logistical problems.

Good luck.

Virginia Tortoise

This website has links to various Catholic churches around the US. You can try contacting them. I had the same problem when on the trail. I would try to get to mass but there wasn't always a church close by on Saturday night or Sunday:

http://www.rc.net

Matt, I have found the website masstimes.org to be very helpful.

Images

Isn't there a Catholic monastery on the AT that offers hostel accommodations to hikers? Searching, it looks like it used to offer hostel accommodations.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=913145
    Still, perhaps someone there would have good advice for you. http://www.atonementfriars.org/graymoor.htm

You'll probably have to call the parishes near the trail and ask for help in arranging things. You'll probably also have to plan your zero days to be in towns with Catholic churches.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Your best bet in such a remote area is to shorten it and do Maine at another time, esp in the 100 mile wilderness area where you can fit it into a week, give or take.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Your best bet in such a remote area is to shorten it and do Maine at another time, esp in the 100 mile wilderness area where you can fit it into a week, give or take.
    There are a few points in the wilderness where he can catch a ride to town. Matt, I'm also from Hickory and have hiked the area. I have some maps that I can share. I think it would be harder to find a taxi, then a catholic church. I googled and found churches in Rangeley, Sugarloaf, Stratton, Greenville and Millinocket for starters. http://www.portlanddiocese.net/parishes_cities.php

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    This website has links to various Catholic churches around the US. You can try contacting them. I had the same problem when on the trail. I would try to get to mass but there wasn't always a church close by on Saturday night or Sunday:

http://www.rc.net
    Thanks! This is a great site!

Oh yes, masstimes.org is very helpful indeed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Isn't there a Catholic monastery on the AT that offers hostel accommodations to hikers? Searching, it looks like it used to offer hostel accommodations.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=913145
    Still, perhaps someone there would have good advice for you. http://www.atonementfriars.org/graymoor.htm

You'll probably have to call the parishes near the trail and ask for help in arranging things. You'll probably also have to plan your zero days to be in towns with Catholic churches.
    Yea, I actually read of this in a book somewhere along the way of preparing for this adventure. Thanks for the links!

Images

mattm6913, I admire your steadfast adherence to your faith and I think you have some good references now for finding churches along the way who can help you meet your obligation. Just as an aside, your question reminded me of Buzz Aldrin's communion on the surface of the moon during Apollo 11. He was definitely NOT near a church! Granted, he is Presbyterian instead of Catholic but his desire to receive communion was important to him nonetheless. I think his solution was pretty cool and may be something you could consider for those stretches of the AT where you may find yourself beyond the reach of transportation. Check out the Wikipedia link for Aldrin's story... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

It would be so much easier if you could just miss a Sunday or two. What's the harm??

But since you asked, I guess you first need to be at a road on Saturday evening and get a ride into a town, a town where there is actually a catholic church. this will be harder the farther north you go. Once you are in the 100 mile wilderness forget it. I don't recall catholic churches present in Rangely or Stratton or Andover.

What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    But since you asked, I guess you first need to be at a road on Saturday evening and get a ride into a town, a town where there is actually a catholic church. this will be harder the farther north you go. Once you are in the 100 mile wilderness forget it. I don't recall catholic churches present in Rangely or Stratton or Andover.

What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.
    I don't think that he will have to travel any further to find a catholic church than any other church. There are actually two catholic churches in Rangeley and one in Stratton. The one at Sugarloaf seems to be 1-2 miles off the trail by foot. Furthermore, I'm sure if he contacts these churches, someone would be willing to meet him at the road. It's not a difficult plan. As far as the wilderness goes, he can carry half the supplies, get picked up at Jo Mary Road, attend church in Millinocket or Greenville, resupply and continue. If he limits his town stops to 7 days, he far exceeds the majority of the thru hikers out there. He doesn't even have to take a zero. I found the northern hospitality to be outstanding.
    Rangeley

Our Lady of the Lakes
    Address: 43 Rangeley Avenue, Oquossoc, Maine 04964-0333
    Bell Chapel
    Street Address: Base of Sugarloaf Mountain

St. John
    Street Address: Main Street, Stratton, Maine 04982

St. Luke
    Street Address: 9 Lake Street, Rangeley, Maine 04970

Images

Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here. The nearest Catholic Church to me is about a half hour drive. In relation to the trail and small towns? Good luck!!

You might want to contact a guy named Circuit Rider. He's a pastor that hikes the AT every year. He may be able to help. Below is his website. He makes it to service every sunday, although he doesn't have the Catholic restraint, he may know of some churches off the beaten path.

www.heartbeatat.com

good luck
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Matt:

I'm pretty sure Rangeley Maine has a church, not sure about other Maine towns like Monson, Stratton, Andover.

In New Hampshire, I know hikers who have been welcomed at the Catholic churches in Gorham and Lincoln, and of course, my own parish of St. Denis in Hanover would love to have you visit; Sacred Heart in nearby Lebanon is also a wonderful church.

Best of luck!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post

You might want to contact a guy named Circuit Rider. He's a pastor that hikes the AT every year. He may be able to help. Below is his website. He makes it to service every sunday, although he doesn't have the Catholic restraint, he may know of some churches off the beaten path.

www.heartbeatat.com

good luck
    Circuit Rider is a great guy!! We met him and SHerlock in MA.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

On trail in Duncannon FYI. (IF you actually white blaze thru town. )

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    On trail in Duncannon FYI. (IF you actually white blaze thru town. )
    that's a long commute from NH/ME. future reference I suppose.

Images

If you call ahead and talk to the churches, they may be able to find a parishioner/someone who lives near the trailhead who can pick you up- some churches are very good about that kind of thing.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I am a Protestant pastor and an Army National Guard Chaplain. Obviously, wars, military events, and disaster responses don't grind to a halt just so people can attend worship services. So, we chaplains have to constantly be creative in helping people fulfill their spiritual needs and religious obligations. Here are some of my thoughts based upon my many years of helping Roman Catholic Soldiers meet their religious obligations:

1) I have heard many Chaplains--including Roman Catholic ones say--"Any day can be 'Sunday' in the field". We find that sometimes it is virtually impossible to get worship to happen for everyone during the Saturday/Sunday time frame. Thus, we have often used worship events on other days of the week to help people meet their obligations. If the Roman Catholic Church is O.K. with this concept for Soldiers--they might also be pretty accommodating of your special circumstances.

2) Most priests celebrate Mass daily (it is usually an obligation for them). Some celebrate this daily Mass privately. Many other priests will make their daily Mass open to the public on all (or some) days of the week. I have contacted priests for information regarding their daily Mass schedules and then transported Soldiers to a daily Mass on days other than Sunday. While you are on the trail, you might find that you are sometimes much better able to attend a weekday Mass (or two) each week. I believe that this would actually fulfill your religious obligation--as long as you attend Mass at least once each week.

3) I have contacted priests who have agreed to set up private appointments to hear confession and share Mass with Soldiers. It is amazing how some priests are very willing to help you. Who knows, you might encounter a really cool priest who might even come out to you at a road crossing and celebrate Mass with you right there on the trail. That could be a real special experience. Before your trip, look up the names and contact information of churches/priests located near the trail. Make some phone calls as you get closer to that particular area.

4) Talk to your own priest (and/or Bishop) about your hike. Given your situation, they may be able to "release" you from the weekly obligation--especially for certain sections of the trail. (During the height of the H1N1 scare--many Roman Catholic "rules" regarding the Mass became rather "flexible".) Your priest or Bishop might also have some additional ideas regarding how you might meet your religious obligations while on the trail.

5) Some Roman Catholic parishes have one or more "Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist" (EMEs). These are lay people who are specially trained and authorized to administer the blessed hosts (communion wafers) to people in hospitals, nursing homes, or those confined to their own homes. Maybe if a priest is too busy to meet with you--he may be able to connect you with an EME in his area who could meet with you and administer the blessed host to you.

Those are just my initial thoughts on the subject. I hope they help.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++