WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Princeton Tech headlamps

I own two PT headlamps: the Quad and EOS Tactical. Both are regulated circuits that permit a nearly stead light output until very near the batteries' end.

They are great for winter, when lots of light is needed, but too heavy for summer backpacking.

In summer I use a tiny coin cell battery poerered headlamp and carry a few extra of those tiny batteries, though I've never had to change them out until after the end of the season.

Finally Petzl is beginning to sell some headlamps that are regulated AND can accept lithium batteries W/O burning up the circuitry! Personally I much prefer Princeton Tec lights to Petzl. I guess Black Diamond would be my second choice.

Eric

I'm for petzl all the way, but to each his own. Personally carrying a 4 ounce headlamp that is durable, bright enough for night hikes and the batteries don't die immediately is worth it. I've looked at the 2 ounce headlamps, but the weight doesn't negate the benefits of a larger light.

To each their own I suppose, but I too don't mind carrying the weight of my Princeton Tech Apex with Lithium AA's. The high setting is bright enough to light the trail up like a train coming down the track, and I swear I've been using the same set of Lithiums in my light for the past six months and the meter still reads above 75% charge. Amazing performance and well worth the weight. Especially not bad for $60; best light I've ever owned.

Images

I like my Princeton Tec Quad headlamp.
    Sure it's comfortable to wear, throws plenty of light with a setting or two to dim it, and the batteries last a long time. I bought it because of how easy it is to change the batteries. You don't have to worry about the case breaking while you try to pry it open. Instead, the case back is hindged to the body of the light and is held shut with one screw. That screw is captured in the case back so you don't have to worry about loosing it after you screw it open with the small plastic tab that's part of the headband adjuster. With the screw removed you just fold down the case back, replace the batteries, close the case and then tighten the screw. It's so easy you can do it by the light of the moon, or at least I have. Oh, and did I mention there's a seal to make the case waterproof ?

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I like my Princeton Tec Quad headlamp.
    Sure it's comfortable to wear, throws plenty of light with a setting or two to dim it, and the batteries last a long time. I bought it because of how easy it is to change the batteries. You don't have to worry about the case breaking while you try to pry it open. Instead, the case back is hindged to the body of the light and is held shut with one screw. That screw is captured in the case back so you don't have to worry about loosing it after you screw it open with the small plastic tab that's part of the headband adjuster. With the screw removed you just fold down the case back, replace the batteries, close the case and then tighten the screw. It's so easy you can do it by the light of the moon, or at least I have. Oh, and did I mention there's a seal to make the case waterproof ?
    i have the same light very bright but the batteries seem to wear down fast dose that happen to you guys also
    GRAVY

Images

Default Spot

I know the BD Spot is not suppose to take lithium batteries. Does anyone know how long it lasts with lithium batteries?? Do the rangers write you a ticket if you use lithium?

Rambler

I have loved my princeton tec fuel. (More than my old petzl. much more).
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Love my Princeton Tec Scout. Less than 2 oz, plenty bright for around-camp tasks. Wouldn't want to rely on it for on-trail illumination, though.

I have the Petzel Zipka...has lasted 7 years so far of almost daily use...I would have thought that the string would have broken by now or that the spring that retracts the string would have failed. My older model only has 3 LED's and the battery life isn't as good as the newer ones, but it has been a very reliable tool.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gravy4601 View Post
    i have the same light very bright but the batteries seem to wear down fast dose that happen to you guys also

It's hard to tell as I use my light all the time for working on things around the house as well as for hiking.

I use my headlamp as a reading light, so it gets used for an hour or two every day at least.

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Love my Princeton Tec Scout. Less than 2 oz, plenty bright for around-camp tasks. Wouldn't want to rely on it for on-trail illumination, though.
    I used this for a 330 am rain hike and it worked just fine
    I love my Scout. Light and bright.

Images

I've used the Petzl Tikka and Tikka Plus as well as the Princeton Tec Eos and Scout.

I sometimes night hike, particularly in winter, and for those times when I really need to see where the trail grows as it becomes faint or confusing, the Eos is the hands down winner.

The Scout is more of a neat toy than a headlamp I could nighthike with, though it is OK for camp chores and the like. The sheer cost of its batteries prevents me from using it very often while backpacking, but it lives in the pack I carry to and from work all the time.

The Tikkas are decent, but because they are unregulated, I often found that while they were OK while in camp, then if I needed to shine it into the darkness to identify a strange sound or night hike, the light was so dim it was almost unusable. Better than nothing, but no contest versus the reliability of the PT Eos.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

All the headlamps mentioned here are decent.
    AA (or cr123, lithiums) just have more energy/weight than AAAs or coin cells. I think there's another thread on WB on a MYOG single AA headlamp with a boost circuit. That's a tempting arrangement.

My preference is the Petzl tikka XP and Myo XP. I really like the built in diffuser for reading and camp chores. During last year's ice storm, I used the Tikka XP as my only household lighting. After a while I needed a broader field lit up and something brighter so I got the Myo XP. The latest versions of these can use lithium batteries. The Tikka XP or the other AAA lights mentioned would be fine for summer hiking. For winter hiking I prefer the AA lights because it gets dark early, you need brighter for following the trail, and you can be in real trouble if your light dies. I think this comes down to the Petzl Myo XP (or preferably RXP), PT Apex or perhaps some newer lights I'm not familiar with.

I kind of like the unregulated aspect of the Petzls because I prefer the gradual dimming of the light to the rapid transition from bright to dark that the regulated have. I don't like the fact that lithiums are not recommended in the Tikka XP and Myo XP, but I'll use them anyway when it's really cold.

Yea I am looking at an EOS and think it will be the one. I want to go back to AAA instead of the coin batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I've used the Petzl Tikka and Tikka Plus as well as the Princeton Tec Eos and Scout.

I sometimes night hike, particularly in winter, and for those times when I really need to see where the trail grows as it becomes faint or confusing, the Eos is the hands down winner.

The Scout is more of a neat toy than a headlamp I could nighthike with, though it is OK for camp chores and the like. The sheer cost of its batteries prevents me from using it very often while backpacking, but it lives in the pack I carry to and from work all the time.

The Tikkas are decent, but because they are unregulated, I often found that while they were OK while in camp, then if I needed to shine it into the darkness to identify a strange sound or night hike, the light was so dim it was almost unusable. Better than nothing, but no contest versus the reliability of the PT Eos.

Princeton Tec Scout!!
    The only night hiking I do is with a bright moon, so I only use around camp. I don't know how well it would work night hiking. And it's no toy. I use it around the house for all kinds of repairs/renovations. But, yes, the batteries are expensive. So far, I have had no reasons to even consider replacing it with any other model.

I like my Princeton Tec Eos. (and all of my other lights, too, for different reasons).
    The PT is waterproof. There's really nothing wrong with non-waterproof lights, unless you manage to get salt water (like sweat) in them then the batteries and contacts corrode while you're not watching. The one thing I would like to see on the Eos is a rotary switch which controls the beam pattern, like its predecessor (name forgotten). I bought one when the smallest lithium batteries available were AAs. With only two batteries it wasn't bright enough for its weight, and the battery compartment could open accidentally. I once had a Tikka (orig. model) which kept popping open when it wasn't on my head. It finally got finished off by a forklift when I worked at the Home Depot as night receiver.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

AMAC and CHACO, You've convinced me. I just got a Princeton Tec "Scout" for summer and replaced my little one LED Cyclops with it B/C the Scout is so much better for such a tiny increase in weight.

As for "to each his own" I feel that the French PETZL company has not yet made a good regulated headlamp that CAN handle lithium batteries. So I'm a PT fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I like my Princeton Tec Eos. (and all of my other lights, too, for different reasons).
    The PT is waterproof. There's really nothing wrong with non-waterproof lights, unless you manage to get salt water (like sweat) in them then the batteries and contacts corrode while you're not watching. The one thing I would like to see on the Eos is a rotary switch which controls the beam pattern, like its predecessor (name forgotten). I bought one when the smallest lithium batteries available were AAs. With only two batteries it wasn't bright enough for its weight, and the battery compartment could open accidentally. I once had a Tikka (orig. model) which kept popping open when it wasn't on my head. It finally got finished off by a forklift when I worked at the Home Depot as night receiver.
    +1 for the EOS. Love mine. Very bright !

I have a couple Princeton Tec Quads and never noticed a battery issue with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++