WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Synthetic or wool

I know that both synthetic and wool base layers will keep you warm when wet, and that wool doesn't (usually) stink. For a canoe trip, where getting wet is a real possibility, would the synthetic be a preferred choice? I'm thinking that the synthetic stuff should dry more quickly, but thought I'd ask the group if that's true. Thanks. Beth

Images

Supposedly wool works better than synthetics when wet.

Garlic
    Images

I would wear synthetic on a boat, if I had an option. I like the image of the rough Irish fishermen in their Aran knit sweaters, but I wonder if they still wear those nowadays? The few times I've gotten my old wool clothing really soaked, it was pretty miserable.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Get it from the smart sheep not the dump one's.

I'd go with wool.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

dumb ones like this poster.

Wool or synthetic? YES

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga View Post
    dumb ones like this poster.
    I like "dump ones" better.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I know that both synthetic and wool base layers will keep you warm when wet, and that wool doesn't (usually) stink. For a canoe trip, where getting wet is a real possibility, would the synthetic be a preferred choice? I'm thinking that the synthetic stuff should dry more quickly, but thought I'd ask the group if that's true. Thanks. Beth
    Beth- I do a lot of costal kayaking, and prefer synthetic clothing, I've had no problems with it drying as long as there is a little bit of a breeze and it's not pouring rain. I soak/wash/rinse with a few drops of Camp Suds or Dr Bonners to get the sweat out of shirt/shorts at the end of the day and hang to dry. I haven't tried wool since I can't wear it.

Images

as i get older, i do more canoeing than hiking... understand too that i'm in LA, where it's warm 10 months out of the year.

that said, i wearTrekmor (Campmor's store brand) bottoms and top, which are a quick drying synthetic, all seasons. when i canoe in the adirondacks (june/july-ish, usually), i bring a thin LL Bean wool sweater that's soft enough to wear as a base layer (but i usually wear it over a cotton T shirt). It also serves as a winter layer for me down here, whether hiking or canoeing (the water actually does get cold!) And i wear wool socks in all seasons, under my water shoes. That combo allows me to keep getting my feet wet all day without being uncomfortable. If it's too bad, i just wring out the socks and put them back on and i'm fine again. I also have a pair of old army gloves made of wool, that are the best winter handgear i've ever owned (i grew up in upstate ny, and was stationed at fort drum for 4 winters).

Cheap wool is itchy. quality wool is not. i always thought i was allergic to it on account of my reaction to army gear (shirts, scarves, and the resulting raw neck). but i found that LL Bean sweater on sale for $5 at one of their outlet stores and am a convert. if i had the $$, i'd be all over a set of SmartWool underwear, tops and bottoms. maybe next christmas...
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

I wear wool all four seasons
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I probably should have mentioned that I have both wool (mostly smart, but some truly dullard socks) and synthetic. And neoprene socks, which are wonderful if it's cold, but stinky like nothing else. So, it is a matter of choosing the right tools to put in the dry bag. I hope that whatever I choose will stay in the bag as I tromp and paddle in the Boundary Waters in 75* sunshine. Beth

I wear wool all four seasons also. I would take a wool sweater over a synthetic coat any day. Wool is great at retaining it's insulative properties when wet, I have worn my Pendleton shirts in rainstorms all day and still been warm.
    The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

4 seasons wool here as well.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I probably should have mentioned that I have both wool (mostly smart, but some truly dullard socks) and synthetic. And neoprene socks, which are wonderful if it's cold, but stinky like nothing else. So, it is a matter of choosing the right tools to put in the dry bag. I hope that whatever I choose will stay in the bag as I tromp and paddle in the Boundary Waters in 75* sunshine. Beth
    In 75 degree sunshine I definitely would go with wool. It generally wicks better - naturally (synthetics are naturally hydrophilic and need to be treated by mechanical bulking of the fibers or with a surface chemical), and holds stink a BUNCH less.
    Drying times in warm sunshine should be close to equal. In cold weather I'd give the vote for synthetic (both fabrics being equal weight).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I've been using wool for a few months and the one thing I notice is how much wider the effective comfort range is from low temp to high temp.

Much less hassle with layer management.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I've been using wool for a few months and the one thing I notice is how much wider the effective comfort range is from low temp to high temp.

Much less hassle with layer management.
    You're getting on the smart bus Skids
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    You're getting on the smart bus Skids
    There goes my reputation.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Merino wool is great. I use it hiking all the time and now running in cold weather.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

But what is the water temperature? That is the criteria.

I paddled at Point Reyes National Seashore on the California coast.

OT. The synthetic stuff can be wrung out and flung out (in circles around and around) and put back on.

Soft merino feels great and merino can be wrung out and "walked dry" inside a non-waterproof nylon-type windshirt. Harder to do with midweight or heavier weight MEC merino. But it can be done.

I have done both.

If I think there is a real possibility I could get dumped in cold water, I want 4-way stretch neoprene with the fuzzy inside surface as my first layer over underwear. If really cold water, I want a fleece union suit inside a drysuit designed for kayakers I can vent.

I use McNett Mirazyme for Warmers booties, water shoes or neoprene sock odor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++