WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Footwear

Red face Footwear

Hello All! I plan to start my thru hike mid March at Springer. I will wear my old faithful Asolo's but would like to switch to my heavy trail shoes on down the way after any chance of snow so I will have my shoes sent out and will send back the boots. Any opinions out there as to wear along the trail I could expect to be at "no chance of snow time"? Also, I carry a lightweight water sandel for water crossings are there many? maybe I can leave these behind. Any help wouold be appreciated.

Images

Get nicely ventilated trail shoes and you'll be able to leave the water sandals at home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by futurethruhiker View Post
    Hello All! I plan to start my thru hike mid March at Springer. I will wear my old faithful Asolo's but would like to switch to my heavy trail shoes on down the way after any chance of snow so I will have my shoes sent out and will send back the boots. Any opinions out there as to wear along the trail I could expect to be at "no chance of snow time"? Also, I carry a lightweight water sandel for water crossings are there many? maybe I can leave these behind. Any help wouold be appreciated.
    Depends on how fast you hike. I'd say low low chance of snow by mid May. Say you average 100 miles/wk, then you'll be in northern VA.

No water crossings til New England. Leave sandals behind til northern states, unless you want a camp/town alternative.

I agree with the northern VA statement and also about depending on how fast you hike. My 2 cents:
    I used lightweight trail shoes/runners my entire thru with good insoles and never had a problem, even in the snow. I never switched to my sandals when crossing streams either, but it was always nice to have them to put on my feet at the end of the day.
    The brands of hiking shoes I used - Salomon, Vasque, Keen. For some reason, each time I was ready for a new pair I couldn't find the same one I had been wearing. But definitely "know" your feet and what kind of footwear you like before you go. You don't want to roll the dice on the trail.

Best,
    L

Garlic
    Images

I agree with the mid-May idea. Best idea I heard was wait until after the Trail Days weekend, no matter where you are. That was for all cold-weather gear, by the way. I was in Pearisburg in early May when I sent mine home, and regretted it during a cold spell near the James River on Mother's Day. I thought I was "safe" after Mt Rogers. Should have waited.

As far as water crossings, none until New England. I know two people who thru hiked in '02 and they didn't have to make one single ford. Very dry year.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wearing trail runners even in snow means they will dry out much quicker. Your feet WILL get wet, even if they are Gore tex. Snows south are slushy. Those heavy boots will be wet for days. I know, I wore both on my hike. Suggest you start with runners.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default first time hiker

i have a pair of the vibram five fingers. i love running in them. do you guys think they could handle life on the trail? i plan on starting my thru-hike in late march early april.

Images

The regular KSO's barely have any tread. I wouldn't dare use those on a trail. The Trek's have better tread. They should last 300-500 miles.

thanks i was planning on getting some treks next week.

Journal Entries
    Images

Keen are (at least were) known for their nice sized "toe box".
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Missippi skinny View Post
    i have a pair of the vibram five fingers. i love running in them. do you guys think they could handle life on the trail? i plan on starting my thru-hike in late march early april.
    I have used KSO's with no problem on the trail.. until I hike more than 17 miles or so in one day (or if I hit those devilish little rocky sections where it takes more work to avoid the rocks than walking itself). The no tread thing can also bite you in the butt while descending/ascending leaf covered ground.. I would love to try out the KSO treks but also hate having to spend another $100 bucks on em.. but hey it's worth a shot.. And as for mileage..I have had my KSO's for a year come April and since there is no cushioning to blow out, they should last way longer than 300-500 miles.. I could easily see mine lasting another year and I have put way more than 500 miles on my (in between hiking, road running, trail running and everyday use).

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    Keen are (at least were) known for their nice sized "toe box".
    But that devilish ankle roller of a sole just gets me. I really hope the NB minimi work out for me.. Oh yeah! I forgot about Merrell's new minimalist shoe line... might give them a shot.. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot

I hate the term "barefoot shoe"... as it's totally redundant.. but these look appealing.. I am gonna do some research as to how it treats the toes and will go try on a pair next weekend.

++ New Posts ++