WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trip to the Adirondack's

Hey guys, I'm trying to plan a trip to the Adirondaks for a week or so. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a nice trail I can take. I was considering the Northville-Placid Trail. 133 miles seemed just right for a 10 day too. Looking forward to any and all suggestions. thanks guys.

Dan
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

pm sent

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

One Foot in Front of the Other WinterWarlock's Avatar

Cranberry Lake suggested, Russ? Five Ponds Wilderness?

There are some parts of the Finger Lakes Trail that go thru the Cats...might be another option as well.
    It don't matter if I get a little tired
    I'll sleep when I'm dead - Warren Zevon

No specific rec given yet. Just a general support of the adks is general. As you know, it has so much to offer, that depending on what desires, different locations provide different opportunities.

so when are we going hiking again?

speaking of the 5 ponds and cl-50, I have been looking at the maps since I completed that hike and am putting together a 100-mile loop in that area. Mostly to hit some of the areas I really like, but are not part of the 50.

I would suggest either the NPT or the CL-50, ive done both, of course the CL-50 is only a couple or 3 day trip but its a nice trail, also keep in mind that there was a store in wanakena but ive just learned that it is closing its doors for good unless someone else buys it so there is no resupply points along the trail anymore, too bad considering they just opened that trail last yr.
    The NPT is better though, but wait till after mid june to go or the black flies will chase you out of the woods or eat you alive. There are 3 towns to pass through on you r way to lake placid for resupply or to pick up mail drops..

Images

I'd like to help you out - Can you provide more info...?
    When are you planning to go?
    - You will need snowshoes through March (required).
    - From March -June it is really the mud season and the DEC
    "recommends" folks try to avoid certain trails due to the deep mud.
    - From May - July it is black fly season.
    - July - August are Horsefly, Deerfly & Mosquito seasons.
    - Late August-Early October can really be some of the best times to go
    to avoid mud, bugs and crowds. (Most of the folks that decide to try
    camping come up on long weekends during Memorial day
    and Independence day and leave bewildered, disheveled, wet, muddy
    and half eaten alive.

What are you more interested in - High Peaks, bushwhacking or backcountry lakes with solitude?

Are you going solo or bringing wife/kids....?
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Russ/Tool

There are a few folks kicking around the idea of doing the CL50 in late Feb/early March....interested possibly?

Scott
    WW

Sure Scott. i am up for it again. I would anticipate still seeing some snow at that time and at the least some very wet/sloggy conditions.

Images

I've done part of the Northville Placid Trail in summer and it was very pleasant. I intend to hike the CL50 and Five Ponds sometime.

Toolshed's calendar is about right. I'd just add that if you're doing the Northville Placid Trail it can be pretty rough in winter and you should talk to someone who has done it in winter; probably the same is true of the Cranberry Lake 50, Five Ponds Wilderness.

One place is http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12606 In particular, read the posts by DSettahr on this thread: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12606

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    I've done part of the Northville Placid Trail in summer and it was very pleasant. I intend to hike the CL50 and Five Ponds sometime.

Toolshed's calendar is about right. I'd just add that if you're doing the Northville Placid Trail it can be pretty rough in winter and you should talk to someone who has done it in winter; probably the same is true of the Cranberry Lake 50, Five Ponds Wilderness.

One place is http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12606 In particular, read the posts by DSettahr on this thread: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12606
    Yea, we really like DSettahr's posts over there...good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Sure Scott. i am up for it again. I would anticipate still seeing some snow at that time and at the least some very wet/sloggy conditions.
    I'd rather see snow/ice than slog though...so maybe sooner is better than later.

Radio just said -7 in Watertown this morning. Probably means -14 in Wanakena.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I'd like to help you out - Can you provide more info...?
    When are you planning to go?
    - You will need snowshoes through March (required).
    - From March -June it is really the mud season and the DEC
    "recommends" folks try to avoid certain trails due to the deep mud.
    - From May - July it is black fly season.
    - July - August are Horsefly, Deerfly & Mosquito seasons.
    - Late August-Early October can really be some of the best times to go
    to avoid mud, bugs and crowds. (Most of the folks that decide to try
    camping come up on long weekends during Memorial day
    and Independence day and leave bewildered, disheveled, wet, muddy
    and half eaten alive.

What are you more interested in - High Peaks, bushwhacking or backcountry lakes with solitude?

Are you going solo or bringing wife/kids....?
    Sorry I didn't give more information in my original post it was really late and I was tired, I just wanted to get something up here. Anyway, I don't have a set date to go but I want to go ASAP. I have alot of the AT that I can do in the mean time but I've been wanting to do this trip for a while and I'm getting anxious. The trip will most likely just be me and my buddy Brandon. I definitely don't plan on going ATLEAST until the weather breaks and it starts getting nice out so theres atleast 2 months or so right there. I was thinking maybe April-May but I really don't want it to be a nightmare of a hike w the mud. When you say mud, can you be more specific? How bad? From how it sounds the only good time to go is late aug-oct but I honestly don't think I can wait that long! BTW, the reason I picked the NPT is because my father did this hike about 20yrs ago and said it was one of the best trips hes ever been on. Plus I have seen pictures and they all looked simply amazing.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    . When you say mud, can you be more specific? How bad? .
    From the ADKHP Forum,
    The following description is quoted from reliable source of several scientists on the “Mud-of-the-Daks”: “The mud scale is BSM (Boot Sucking Mud); scale #1 up to 2 inches of mud.... ; BSM2 is ankle deep and generates some sound on removal.....; BSM3 mud will overflow into low height boot and hiking shoes, and produce a good "squelching" sound pulling out.....; BSM#4 will creep over the top of all boots with possible loss if loosely tied and a definite loud disgusting noise if it does come out.....; BSM5 is anything over the knee and almost certain loss of boot and pride with an excellent chance of a good mud bath and/or fight with hiking partners!! “

Last year on the NPT just past McCanes the water/mud/muck was thigh level. That part has since been rerouted...not because of the mud but to avoid a few miles of road and private property.

Right before the bridge into the West Canada Lakes, it was easily mid calf for a bit.

Images

Cool gotta luv them Dacks !

Dan,

Ya, the NPT is a stellar hike. I would DEF avoid the northern section (above Moose Pond) in the warm months. The Deer Flie's are THE WORST iv'e come across on any trail in my hikes. This time of year Id def use a small length snow shoe and may need crampons after the Duck Hole cut off (eastern trail axis).

Fall is perfect hike here. The southern section of the trail is a bit more rugged as fewer access roads and fewer ADK lodges pop up. Just keep an eye on your topo and you'll find a few logging roads and trails (mostly heading east into the heart of the ADK's) if you need a bail out or change it up.

About 30 miles before the finish in the north section you may want to cut off at D.Hole and zip north on Indian Pass. this section is Amazing and offers some incredible views, outcroppings and a few caves to check out.

A few ponds and many marsh areas. You'll find a few miles of very dense and creepy woods, very dark.. but really cool to walk through.

Stick to your topo and no worries as it is patrolled often by D.E.C runners.

Have an amazing hike man!
    ~ round here, KTR

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Sorry I didn't give more information in my original post it was really late and I was tired, I just wanted to get something up here. Anyway, I don't have a set date to go but I want to go ASAP. I have alot of the AT that I can do in the mean time but I've been wanting to do this trip for a while and I'm getting anxious. The trip will most likely just be me and my buddy Brandon. I definitely don't plan on going ATLEAST until the weather breaks and it starts getting nice out so theres atleast 2 months or so right there. I was thinking maybe April-May but I really don't want it to be a nightmare of a hike w the mud. When you say mud, can you be more specific? How bad? From how it sounds the only good time to go is late aug-oct but I honestly don't think I can wait that long! BTW, the reason I picked the NPT is because my father did this hike about 20yrs ago and said it was one of the best trips hes ever been on. Plus I have seen pictures and they all looked simply amazing.
    LOL - I 'm not trying to ward you off, I am just trying to be realistic.
    I used to do a lot of climbing ther with a buddy who is a geologist and this is how he dumbed it down so I could undertand.....
    so in the daks, it is a different kind of mud due to a different kind of topography. Much of the daks is old igneous (volcanic rock), though there is some sedimentary and metamorphic. that being the case, there is not a lot of places for water to run off, but rather, it collects - there are many many slight pockets in the rocks just below the surface. These pockets have collected thousands (millions?) of years of organic sediments that slowly decompose in the cold.

So when we get snow melts and tons of rain (warm miosture ladenend low-floating clouds come from lake Ontario and hit the tug hill plateau and start to rise into the colder air. They continue to rise higher/colder to get over the adirondacks. Cold air holds less moisture, so the daks are constantly getting dumped on with rain.

The rain, combined with snowmelt sits for a long time, since it cannot fully drain, mixes with the organic sediments and forms large pockets of this organic mud, which can get knee deep (Bradley Pond, trail to Scott's pond come to mind). I always wear my knee high crocs with full-grain leather waterproofed boots.

The DEC cautions come from the fact that instead of dressing properly (waterproof boots and gaitors) many come hiking on nice days in spring in sneakers, trail shoes and the like and then try to tiptoe around the mud in the lower spots along the trail, making for wider and wider pockets of mud. Since rain tends to flow along the trails to low spots, these areas turn into mini-bogs that can get 12-14" deep in spots.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    As for the NLP, I have only thruhiked it once, but I have done almost all the sections 3-4 times. It is a wonderful place, full of solitude, loons, even a 35+ mile section with no road crossings, but if I were planning another thru on it, it would still be late August-Early September.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++