WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

Default men's underwear on the trail

So what is a recommended underwear for men to wear on the trail?

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

wear a kilt...none needed...
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

I like reebok boxers. I find them at Dick's. For t-shirts I like Champion, found at Target. I wear this combo 7 days a week, on or off the trail. I refuse to pay the price for Underarmour, and ex-officios.

Images

On the Reebok boxers, I like the 6 or 9 inch inseam. They ride well. No chaffing.

Nothing cotton...get some air down there...carry some baby powder in case of chafing. I met many people who were miserable the first couple weeks due to chafing. The first few weeks everything you have will be wet...just about the time it all starts to dry out it will rain again.

Images

no underwear needed! go commando!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

registered trademark

I like REI's MTS boxers. They are a tight weave synthetic mesh that dries quickly.

Under Armour boxer jocks or some other compression short.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Under Armour boxer jocks or some other compression short.
    Cabin Fever's tip is a great way to go! I used Under Armour Compression Shorts all the way through my thru hike and never regretted the decision. They are easy to wash in camp and dry very quickly.

Images

The old style REI MTS Boxers wore like iron. They were invincible and had plenty of memory and still wear nicely with little show of wear. The new ones (as of 3 years ago) totally suck. REI changed material and probably vendor and went with something that wore out sooner. The crotch wears out within 6 months of wearing a pair one day/week - Big hole would appear, just rip open. Then on REI's online Product page under customer reviews, I saw that others were having the same issue, the same huge crotch holes were developing. I blasted REI on it and changed brands.

I ended up switching to Ex-Officio boxer briefs and never looked back They are $25/pair, but if you wait or look around you can usually get them for $18. They are in the same price range as REI MTS.

I traveled to Germany Switzerland and France for a few weeks with only 3 pair and used Ex-Officio's website recommendation of washing a pair at night and wringing out and then rolling up in a towel for a few minutes. Hang and dry in the morning. worked like a charm. Actually it was awesome. The nicest thing is that the material keeps its memory and stretchability 3 years later. I cannot tell new pairs from old pairs.

Make sure you get Boxer briefs and not boxers. Boxers are looser on the legs. Boxer briefs are as long, but have a tighter cut with a
    slight hugging effect.
    Buck up, pay once and get great gear. (This coming from someone who use to live as cheaply as possible and save every penny))
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Caballa's had the under armor on sale for 12.99

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Images

In the summer, keep the air moving and go commando. In colder temps boxers, keep your core warm.
    WalkingStick"75"

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I ended up switching to Ex-Officio boxer briefs and never looked back They are $25/pair, but if you wait or look around you can usually get them for $18.
    Same here. I still can't believe I spent $25 on one pair of underwear! I have to admit, though, that solved a minor, nagging chaffing problem and it was worth it. They can double as almost-modest swimming shorts in a hotel pool or hot tub, too, if nobody looks too closely .
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I use Underarmor boxer briefs.

I just received a pair of Sugoi wind blocker briefs to help keep the boys from freezing. http://revelsports.com/Sugoi/19010U.htm
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Depends...

Ha - not the undies - they do not breathe very well.

I mean it depends on the pant or shorts that you plan to wear. If you have good control and manageable drip you could go commando and/or wear a quick dry pant. Usually persons that wear underwear have a fear of public pee-stains, but on the trail you will see hundreds of pee stains (some will be your own) and you will get used to it. Underwear is good protection if you have issues - do not be ashamed if you have to wear them. If your problem is not too bad you might get by with semi-loose fitting shorts and a womens panty liner. Hope that helps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Depends...

Ha - not the undies - they do not breathe very well.

I mean it depends on the pant or shorts that you plan to wear. If you have good control and manageable drip you could go commando and/or wear a quick dry pant. Usually persons that wear underwear have a fear of public pee-stains, but on the trail you will see hundreds of pee stains (some will be your own) and you will get used to it. Underwear is good protection if you have issues - do not be ashamed if you have to wear them. If your problem is not too bad you might get by with semi-loose fitting shorts and a womens panty liner. Hope that helps.
    W*T* F ??? I ain't seen any pee stains since Kindergarten
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I prefer commando also, but I need the mesh liner in my shorts for support.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

so you guys that DO wear underwear of some sort... do you buy more than one pair and switch them out every so often, or do you bring just one pair and wash and reuse over and over?

Images

Get something that breaths well & dries quickly.
    If you find something like that, let me know!!!

I wear a kilt, as they were meant to be, so minimal problems with chaffing, & that only on the first 3 - 4 days.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I just received a pair of Sugoi wind blocker briefs to help keep the boys from freezing. http://revelsports.com/Sugoi/19010U.htm
    I put a plastic sandwich baggie (er, I mean the quart size... LOL) over the boys inside my underwear when I am out BC Skiing under 20 degrees. Keeps therm warm and avoids cold damage....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++