WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

For what it's worth: In Costa Rica the guides in the rain forest usually had two machetes - everyone had a Condor brand bolo style machete for clearing the vines and stuff that grew over the trail or canals overnight, about 15 - 18" long. It was used for doing everything from clearing out vegetation to knocking open a coconut.

Some also carried a shorter "Rambo" looking 12" knife. It might have been more of a fish / game dressing knife but it also chopped vegetation very well. Maybe the reason they liked it was that the Rambo was short enough to wear on a belt sheath and easier to carry. And it had a bottle opener.

I found both here. The Rambo is by Imacasa but Condor brand was their favorite for long machetes.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I liked the second video where the guy suggested an 'Ontario' type blade.

What I learned from that was I was using the wrong technique in my backyard. I used the 18" blade, which was a good choice, but when going through some thicker stuff I found it useful and effective to strike closer to the handle, which I thought allowed the momentum of the weight of the tip of the blade to act with greater force. However, this fellow says the last half of the blade should be doing all of the slashing work.

I noticed so extra wear near the handle, even after just 10 hours or so. I think if I had the blade even sharper, and with better practice, I should have been able to do all the heavy slashing using the last half of the blade as he suggested, with less wear, and more even wear, and perhaps also less risk of injury. Not sure.

I think what he said about the shorter but still heavy 'Ontario' type blade being better for hardwood saplings, and the 18" being better for Brazil, was also interesting. For winter camping, I still like my 1 pound hatchet. I don't use it for much, but it is handy, and easy to work in the cold for light duty. I can chop through ice, hammer a nail, and split wood for my small hobbo stove. When its really cold, snapping small branches isn't always effective because you don't know if they are dry or just frozen. Also with the small hatchet, I can make a proper shelter and warming/drying fire if I ever need to, like after a fall through ice, or being stuck out a few extra days in extreme weather or a broken ski or something like that.

The machete would be much better for clearing a trail though, where appropriate to do so. Even here in the city park, where we have alot of trails, you can't expect the park folks to do all the trail maintenance. If there is a fallen tree or something like that, as long as you know what you are doing, hack away. Better that then having people make a new path around it.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Its practicing - Leave no blood, leave no ripped clothing, etc..... Do you see the trail down the middle of the picture?

compared to some places where i've hiked this looks like a great well defined trail!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefoot View Post
    That is not Practicing The Leave No Trace now is it?
    I agree with WOO - there are some places where you need to "help out" the local maintainer - just as long as you don't get too carried away! The picture seems to show one such place...in years past, I've seen places along the AT where a machete could have come in handy.

Way, WAY back in the day (D. Boone's day), a double-bit axe was a good thing to have. One bit was sharpened "blunt-sharp" for chopping logs, firewood, etc., but the other bit was sharpened "feather-sharp" - this bit could be used for opening a trail through the brush. Just a swipe down the trunk of a small tree could remove all of the small branches that were in the way, so you could walk without being torn apart by the underbrush. (This was also the time when "browse-beds" were also popular, but THAT'S another thread!)

But a sharp machete seems to be a much better tool for this purpose.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

That machete the OP was wondering about is a real piece of junk. It comes with a cord-wrapped handle that comes unwound on the 1st or 2nd strike and the quality of the steel is similar to that used in cap guns. Mine broke right above the handle the second time I took it out in the field.

Not to mention the balance sucks. A good 18'" machete like those mentioned above will do a far better job and will last years, not minutes.

Images

You're suppose to go around the brambles, not through them

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coheterojo View Post
    That machete the OP was wondering about is a real piece of junk. It comes with a cord-wrapped handle that comes unwound on the 1st or 2nd strike and the quality of the steel is similar to that used in cap guns. Mine broke right above the handle the second time I took it out in the field.

Not to mention the balance sucks. A good 18'" machete like those mentioned above will do a far better job and will last years, not minutes.
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I missed it, but it is full tang and I can add or change the handle. I just need to take out the brambles and pricker bush, not vines. The better than nothing is the stuff they have at camping stores from China, easily bent, heavy, and incredibly dull,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Full Tang?

Attachment 7745Mine came with the always convenient, detachable handle.

Images

I have, and love my "oh Sh%t knife" the SOG Jungle fusion. Before you buy anything you might want to check it out. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043338517691a.shtml

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I just need to take out the brambles and pricker bush, not vines.
    It's easier faster and less effort to take out brambles and bushes with a pair of loppers. Probably lighter tool, too.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nox2825 View Post
    I have, and love my "oh Sh%t knife" the SOG Jungle fusion. Before you buy anything you might want to check it out. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043338517691a.shtml
    Blade might be to thick for machete work.

You want to be able to go through 1.5" hardwood saplings in one swoop.

With the Ontario blade you can still do some chopping if you need to.
    You could also add some other features, like that video shows.

The blade should be neither too thick nor too thin though. It can get the weight it needs from depth and length. The thinner blade can go through thicker stuff, but not if too thin. You also need a little twist or sideways action, and that won't work if the blade is too thin. Most survival type blades are too thick though. They can still slash in one swoop, but not as thick.

Clippers will work, but not as fast as a machete, and not multi-functional.

Journal Entries
    Images

guess I learned something.... this sword style might not be enough.

Coheterojo, full tang is very important, the last thing anyone needs is the two pieces to come apart when swinging the blade, one could get seriously injured in the field.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Perhaps the intended sarcasm of my post was not understood as such. I was showing the results of the second swing of said POS on a 2" diameter pine.

I was not very happy w the result. This is the exact blade that you are referring to in your original post.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep you are right, I missed it. but a 2" with a sword? It could not be intended for that.

Woo

Images

Maybe not but my good ole Incolma Gavilan model machete that I bought in Panama in 1983 has hacked through gazillions of things that it probably wasn't designed for without a single problem.

Just sayin'.

Journal Entries
    Images

Survey shops have Machetes. Something you could look for in your area. I have one that has been used at work for many years now. It is an Ontario Knife the best one I have ever found. Has some weight to it which makes it better for thicker limbs.

The picture you show is more like work than a pleasure to walk through. Why would anyone want to do such a thing just to be in the woods? Just curious, maybe you have a good reason for doing such things. I am not anti knife but think that is foolish to do such a things for enjoyment. Do you do this with your pack on? Seems like you will get very sweaty doing line cutting with a pack on.
    I don't know

You should definitely be able to go after a 2" pine with a machete.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefoot View Post
    Survey shops have Machetes. Something you could look for in your area. I have one that has been used at work for many years now. It is an Ontario Knife the best one I have ever found. Has some weight to it which makes it better for thicker limbs.

The picture you show is more like work than a pleasure to walk through. Why would anyone want to do such a thing just to be in the woods? Just curious, maybe you have a good reason for doing such things. I am not anti knife but think that is foolish to do such a things for enjoyment. Do you do this with your pack on? Seems like you will get very sweaty doing line cutting with a pack on.

Not all trails have magic trail fairies like the AT.

good idea about checking out survey shops though

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=JAK;952374]
    Not all trails have magic trail fairies like the AT.

I know that, as I have encountered some well over grown sections in Fl.

So what your are trying to say is that you carry a machete. Which is cool, not something I am going to do anymore. Yes I have and find it a waste time energy and weight. All a person is doing is adding to possibility's of getting hurt a bad cut could happen with a machete. When you have wet and sweaty hands it can slip out of your hand. You can very easily miss swing and the thing go flying in your direction. No the little gay wrist strap will not save you if anything it will make the injury worse.
    I don't know

have a look at cold steels kukri machette, light weight and less than 20$

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++