WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Road Proposal Stirs Controversy Along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail - Nationa

National Parks Traveler (blog)

Road Proposal Stirs Controversy Along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail
    National Parks Traveler (blog)
    Nowhere else on the Appalachian Trail do I feel so strong an urge to return.â?? More than six decades later, Stecoah Gap, perched near 3200 feet above sea ...

More...

Images

The highway is perfectly usable as is. However, the tunnel would be the best option for "improvement"
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Don't see what the big deal is no matter which option they choose.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Don't see what the big deal is no matter which option they choose.
    yeah really. i remember the old sam's gap before the 4 lane. no biggie

Images

There are a few different reasons I've heard for concern about the road. The first is that the north-looking view from Cheoah Bald (not the bald itself but the opposite side with the sweet view of the Smokies) would have a giant four-lane, interstate grade and width cut running down almost the center of the viewshed for its entire length where now just forest is, even with the tunnel through the gap. Some of the views on the north side of Stecoah Gap would have some pretty intrusive changes because tons of rock are going to have to be cut out of the ridgelines to accommodate a four-lane.

The second thing I've heard is that the DFEIS never addresses some past studies of the geology of the Stecoah Gap area that show rocks highly prone to landslides and acidic leachate all over the proposed construction area. There are some native brook habitat streams that could take a huge hit if that isn't accounted for, and no one with the NCDOT seems to have looked into it. I think the NCDOT has been forced to apply for permits under the Clean Water Act because of this, so the whole project might change depending on how that turns out.

Last but not least, the cost of this thing is out of control, on the order of $10 million per mile or something insane like that. On top of that, the road would do much like the Andrews bypass did when it was built: increase truck traffic but shunt consumer traffic away from the business district of Robbinsville and kill it off. That town and county has a hard enough time as it is.

Those last two don't have anything to do with the AT, but oh well.

Images

Thumbs down

Another government welfare project for the road builders association. I just drove through there this month. It's not needed.

But it does bring to mind this very recent news article about a survey of the effects of road building projects, often touted as hugely beneficial to local employment and economies. Turns out, it ain't so.

STIMULUS WATCH: Unemployment unchanged by projects

"Road spending would total nearly $28 billion of the Jobs for Main Street Act, a $75 billion second stimulus to help lower the unemployment rate and improve the dismal job market for construction workers. The Senate is expected to consider the House-approved bill this month.

"But AP's analysis, which was reviewed by independent economists at five universities, showed the strategy of pumping transportation money into counties hasn't affected local unemployment rates so far.

"There seems to me to be very little evidence that it's making a difference," said Todd Steen, an economics professor at Hope College in Michigan who reviewed the AP analysis."

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++