WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baked Potatoes

Default Baked Potatoes

Anyone make baked potatoes when camping? I'm thinking more along the lines of making them in a camp fire.....

Images

Not camping exactly, but I made them in a fire, wrapped in aluminum foil and they were fine. Try and place them in or next to the coals, not in the middle of a big fire.

Images

yeah i do! they're awesome. i just wrap them in some tin foil and throw them on some coals near the fire. when theyr'e done i just sprinkle some salt and eat or if its cold enough i bring some butter or whatever and throw that in there too... or i'll bring some carrots and 2 potatoes and some chopped onions, some chopped tomatoes and 2 hamburg patties. you take everything and chop it up and toss it in the fire with some seasoning and some water... sorrry to drift. apparently i'm hungry.

Images

mmmm...Wrapped in foil with oilive oil and salt/pepper. You're thinking A-OK!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I would sometimes bring a couple little red ones in foil to cook if there was a fire going.....it was an awesome treat

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    mmmm...Wrapped in foil with oilive oil and salt/pepper. You're thinking A-OK!!!
    ditto

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    yeah i do! they're awesome. i just wrap them in some tin foil and throw them on some coals near the fire. when theyr'e done i just sprinkle some salt and eat or if its cold enough i bring some butter or whatever and throw that in there too... or i'll bring some carrots and 2 potatoes and some chopped onions, some chopped tomatoes and 2 hamburg patties. you take everything and chop it up and toss it in the fire with some seasoning and some water... sorrry to drift. apparently i'm hungry.

mmm silver turtles...a staple of the cub scout diet...that's good eatin right ther I don't care who you are....now I gotta go make some....I'm hungry
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Definitely wrap in foil. Watched a guy shove one down into the coals of the fire pit at Blue Mt shelter. Came out all black and covered in ashes. I love my baked potatoes to have crispy skins but not blackened skins and definitely not filthy. But I guess if you're hungry enough.........

If we're putting them on the grill at home we cut them in half, put in some pats of butter, slices of onion, salt and pepper, and wrap in foil. You could use olive oil just as well. Wrap them so that they aren't going to leak butter or oil while cooking or you'll get big flame ups and burn up the tater.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Anyone make baked potatoes when camping? I'm thinking more along the lines of making them in a camp fire.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Not camping exactly, but I made them in a fire, wrapped in aluminum foil and they were fine. Try and place them in or next to the coals, not in the middle of a big fire.
    Good Advice here.

Images

ive made them in a campfire. I put in onion powder with cheese salt and pepper. It was amazing.

Images

Mrs Baggins, that is exactly what I use to do with potatoes back in my Civil War reenacting days.

After the fire had burned down to a great bead of coals we'd dig a little hole in the middle, deposit the potatoes and bury. Sure the skins would be a little chared, but that's all. We's then cut them in half and eat the meat out with a spoon. Worked even better with sweet potatoes. Oh and roasting ears (corn) on a bed of coals was always a treat as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Mrs Baggins, that is exactly what I use to do with potatoes back in my Civil War reenacting days.

After the fire had burned down to a great bead of coals we'd dig a little hole in the middle, deposit the potatoes and bury. Sure the skins would be a little chared, but that's all. We's then cut them in half and eat the meat out with a spoon. Worked even better with sweet potatoes. Oh and roasting ears (corn) on a bed of coals was always a treat as well.
    Just a matter of taste. And situation. In the Civil War I don't think there were too many rolls of Alcoa or Reynolds laying around, so shoving them into the fire would be the fitting thing to do. But if the foil is available, then by all means we'll use it. Trust me, if I were hungry enough and the potatoes were available but the foil was not I'd shove them into the coals, no problem.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

but but... just think of all that weight you'd save by skipping the foil!

What else have you cooked in foil placed in coals. chicken, stew, lasagna??
    I've heard that covering something in mud will work instead of foil.
    I've heard it works like this. Steal a chicken from a farmer. gut it. then cover it with mud leave the feathers on. put it in the coals, and the feathers will come off with the baked mud. nice and steamy.

Images

I like half a spud with half of a sweet potato.
    WalkingStick"75"

A hot potato is also a great pocket warmer while hiking in winter.
    So is a hard boiled egg. You can eat them for lunch later.
    That's what I did in going to school in Fredericton in the 1980s.
    Some very cold mornings in Fredericton NB.

I've cooked potatoes wrapped in foil many times...have to have a good bed of coals though...I general shovel or scrape with a stick a pile of coals out from the bottom of the fire pit and move them to a separate place to cook on...its just like cooking on a BBQ grill...some fresh ears of corn still in their husks laid directly on the coals is great too.

You can really cook just about anything available in the frozen food section of the grocery store that way if you wrap it in foil...I've made frozen pizza, pizza rolls, chicken strips, egg rolls, burritos...the possibilities are really endless.

I used to laugh because someone I used to know used to bring a bag of charcoal briquettes on camping trips...he somehow thought this was necessary, or somehow better than the coals from the fire...I always just brought a grill grate on canoe trips and when it was time to cook dinner I'd scrape some coals out of the fire and prop the grate up on a few rocks and cook on that as if it were a BBQ grill at home.

Images

I've wrapped potatoes in aluminum foil and cooked them in a camp fire many times. Sometimes they come out good and sometimes they come out burnt. Mostly its just a pain-in-the-ass to cook that way, especially when your with other people who keep putting more wood on the fire causing it to be too hot. Even when everything works out right, you still have to wait about 45 minutes for it to cook that way. That's too long for me to wait to eat when I'm on the trail. If your car camping its not such a bad idea though.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I've wrapped potatoes in aluminum foil and cooked them in a camp fire many times. Sometimes they come out good and sometimes they come out burnt. Mostly its just a pain-in-the-ass to cook that way, especially when your with other people who keep putting more wood on the fire causing it to be too hot. Even when everything works out right, you still have to wait about 45 minutes for it to cook that way. That's too long for me to wait to eat when I'm on the trail. If your car camping its not such a bad idea though.

Panzer

That's why I always move some coals out of the fire pit and cook off to the side...that way you can keep the fire going while you're cooking...I always eat something right before I go to bed when its cold out to sort of stoke the fire before I go to sleep...a hot potato is a good way to do that...doesn't have to be the main course.

I cook potatoes in foil in my woodstove. It takes roughly an hour, depending on the fire/coals, and it's a good idea to turn them halfway through. In fact, I'm making some this evening...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++