WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Franklin's April Hiker Event-Please Help Us

On behalf of Franklin's Appalachian Trail Hiker Committee in a meeting today at the city hall we disgusted things that the town could do to make the event more enjoyable.

For those of you who attended last years event,was this what you liked and what could we do to make it more enjoyable for you and others.

Also,are you pleased with the April Fools Hiker Bash event that I provide for you at the Sapphire Inn.Also if the town offered a hiker feed there do you think it would be a good idea?

We want to be a hiker friendly town that makes you happy you stoped in and want to come back. So giving us honest feed back good or bad helps us to provide what you,the hiker wants.

Images

Ron I had a blast and everyone that I was hiking with last year that attended came away with a very good impression of Franklin. I'm sure that this event will continue to grow. Any "Hiker Feed" would be a bonus as we love to eat! I would like to see more live music! and perhaps more vendors in the backpacking industry could be invited. I am looking forward to attending again this year.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Nothing wrong,Franklin is great.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I found the entire event a pleasure!!

More free food would be nice, but not if it interfered with your dinner. The equipment show at the park was nice and should be expanded if possible.

Tom
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

I have been to this event for the last 2 years and it is really a good time. Hiker buzz is in the air and the fellowship amongst everyone is very cool.

If you are attending the dinners there, bring a covered dish with you as well. It is appreciated.

Attaching a couple of pics of Ron at the April Fools Bash.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

more cowbell!
    Life is good................

Ron is a great ambassador for Franklin!

Hey, here's an idea- How about selling "Franklin, NC Ambassador" buttons to town folk as a fund raiser? Seems like a great way to make them honorary "marshals" for the event.

Just brainstorming..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    On behalf of Franklin's Appalachian Trail Hiker Committee in a meeting today at the city hall we disgusted things that the town could do to make the event more enjoyable.
    You disgusted things? If so, I think you're on the right track.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    that's disgusting

Images

When I think of Franklin, NC and hiking, I think Ron Haven. When I thru-hiked 11 years ago, Franklin was my first town stop. It was a nice enough place, just to warm up, get clean and resupplied, and have some restaurant meals with hot food and a cold beer. But in the years since Ron began to shuttle hikers around town (and to and from Winding Stair Gap) and offer hiker rates at the Budget Inn, it has become a real boon to hikers.

The Bash is the first "hiker festival" prospective thru-hikers will get to experience, with Trail Fest in Hot Springs and Trail Days in Damascus still a LONG way off (at least to a body moving maybe 2 MPH). Ron Haven KNOWS what hikers are looking for when they hit town and when they attend a festival because he IS a hiker and he has been there as both a hiker and service provider. He definitely knows how to leave a great impression with new hikers after that first 100 or so miles.

The Bash already has a great reputation among repeat hikers and that word of mouth message is the best possible advertising for new hikers heading to Franklin. I fully expect that with Ron leading the way, Franklin and the Bash will continue to be a favorite among the AT hiking community.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Note to Franklin's Appalachian Trail Hiker Committee;
    Prior to researching the Appalachian Trail, I had never heard of Franklin, NC. Ron Haven's southern hospitality has given me a chance to visit a very nice town. I don't think you need too much input from other hikers. Ron has been there, done that, and probably has a great story to tell about it. He won't steer you wrong.

I gotta go with Bearpaw on this one. Franklin is Ron Haven. Im sorry but The Bash should stay the same instead of infusing other crap into it. I missed the Bash in 08 but heard how awesome it is. Hiking the AT is not a parade route. Keep it simple; the way it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    When I think of Franklin, NC and hiking, I think Ron Haven. When I thru-hiked 11 years ago, Franklin was my first town stop. It was a nice enough place, just to warm up, get clean and resupplied, and have some restaurant meals with hot food and a cold beer. But in the years since Ron began to shuttle hikers around town (and to and from Winding Stair Gap) and offer hiker rates at the Budget Inn, it has become a real boon to hikers.

The Bash is the first "hiker festival" prospective thru-hikers will get to experience, with Trail Fest in Hot Springs and Trail Days in Damascus still a LONG way off (at least to a body moving maybe 2 MPH). Ron Haven KNOWS what hikers are looking for when they hit town and when they attend a festival because he IS a hiker and he has been there as both a hiker and service provider. He definitely knows how to leave a great impression with new hikers after that first 100 or so miles.

The Bash already has a great reputation among repeat hikers and that word of mouth message is the best possible advertising for new hikers heading to Franklin. I fully expect that with Ron leading the way, Franklin and the Bash will continue to be a favorite among the AT hiking community.
    The only thing I have with this is labeling it as a festival. Thats when the town has taken it over, like the Trailfest, Traildays, Long Trail Fest. This is Rons and should stay Rons until he doesnt want to do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    The only thing I have with this is labeling it as a festival. Thats when the town has taken it over, like the Trailfest, Traildays, Long Trail Fest. This is Rons and should stay Rons until he doesnt want to do it anymore.
    I think this is an important point, and should be thought out. It's difficult, when you have a bunch of folks in town who want to do something nice or make something bigger, to say, "no, it's fine the way it is." It's difficult to suggest that smaller might be better when people are trying to do a nice thing.

And at the same time, it's difficult for one person to shoulder the load year in and year out.

My friends and I have dealt with both problems, sometimes publicly and sometimes poorly.

I would recommend thinking about all of the possible unintended consequences of doing and offering more. Sometimes it's better to have a smaller successful party than a "festival" that spirals out of control.

Images

Ron's a hiker, knows hikers and understands where they are coming from. Many on the "committee" are no doubt well intentioned and could put on a great festival but if this event is supposed to be directed toward hiking then let those familiar with hiking lead the way. The Hikers Fool Bash name has been embraced by all and should be left as is. Call it FAME and it will fade away. Ron has a good thing going and we all hope it isn't ruined by too many jumping on the bandwagon.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Bash and Franklin's event should be kept separate, IMO.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Default Ron Haven IS the AT in Franklin

Ron Haven is a local, and perhaps even a national, treasure for the AT. His love of the trail, of the hikers, of the entire experience is simply nearly impossible to match. His stories are amazing, his hospitality unparalleled, his desire to help out any and all hikers unmatched. If Ron were to "disappear" from the hiker scene in Franklin, then Franklin would disappear from the hiker scene. Everyone stops there to meet Ron, to stay at his hotels, to be part of his big parties for the hiker community throughout the year. Without him Franklin is just another town off the trail, just one more stop for food and then get back on the trail and keep going. Those who would like to push him out for their own gains will find that they gain nothing in the end except the enmity of the hiker community. Word travels fast in the community and we will make sure that those responsible for pushing Ron to the side will pay by taking their goodwill and business elsewhere.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Ron Haven is a local, and perhaps even a national, treasure for the AT. His love of the trail, of the hikers, of the entire experience is simply nearly impossible to match. His stories are amazing, his hospitality unparalleled, his desire to help out any and all hikers unmatched. If Ron were to "disappear" from the hiker scene in Franklin, then Franklin would disappear from the hiker scene. Everyone stops there to meet Ron, to stay at his hotels, to be part of his big parties for the hiker community throughout the year. Without him Franklin is just another town off the trail, just one more stop for food and then get back on the trail and keep going. Those who would like to push him out for their own gains will find that they gain nothing in the end except the enmity of the hiker community. Word travels fast in the community and we will make sure that those responsible for pushing Ron to the side will pay by taking their goodwill and business elsewhere.
    Who's trying to "push Ron to the side?"

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'm going to echo the sentiments that have been expressed here already by many before me. Ron Haven is the AT in Franklin, period. This is fact and it's not disputed, nor do I suspect that it will be. Ron started the April Fool's Bash as a break for starting thru hikers to get off the trail for a couple days, unwind, relax and have a good time after the first hundred miles or so of the Trail.

Bigger is not necessarily better. Injecting government (city, county, etc) and politics into Ron's gathering is, IMO, just a bad idea. I fully believe that the folks of Franklin who want to make this bigger have good intentions, but a big part of what makes the Bash what it is, is the hospitality that Ron gives to every single person who shows up. Many are meeting Ron and experiencing his legendart hospitality for the first time. Many are personal friend who have known Ron for a while. Either way, Ron welcomes all with a big smile, a solid handshake and a geniune, deep appreciation for being there. I'm glad that there are enough of us out here to know that the appreciation truly should go to Ron for loving the Trail and all those who travel it enough to do what he does. Ron is a good man and a great friend to me and it's an honor to know him.

I hope that the City of Franklin will keep it's paws off Ron's April Fool's Bash. FAME just isn't the same and I suspect that it wouldn't do particularly well. However, if you want to know where the folks who were supposed to be attending FAME are, just drive over to the Sapphire. I'm sure they'll welcome you with the same hospitality extended to all by Franklin's own Ron Haven.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Thanks a lot Mrs baggins.They are not pushing me away.They were some people who were wanting me to change the name of my event but I am a member of the Franklin A T committee.We were asking all of you here what you want for entertainment when the April event starts on April 2nd & 3rd..?
    I have the bash at Sapphire Inn and the town wants to add some nice things for the hikers to enjoy while visiting during this weekend in town.
    The town event takes place at the Big Bear Park about 300 yards from Sapphire Inn.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++