WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Kindle Generally and Kindle Guide book

Anyone know of a decent guide book available in Kindle Version?

In general, I think I will start so slowly I will bring a Kindle to pass the time (short mileage to start - need a way to kill a few hours a day). The Kindle weighs less than a book...

Thoughts?

Images

From my understanding Kindle reads .pdf documents. If this is so, you can download the online guide from ALDHA's website.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

The newest Kindles read .pdf right out of the box. You can download a free upgrade from Amazon to give older models the same functionality.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I have a net book (astak brand) it reads lots of formats, but not Sony or Noble Books format among other private brands. I purchased it for the same reasons you mention. The days are long and my legs are weak at least for the first few days hiking.

I am a big fan of open source. The proprietary brands try to force you to buy your media from them. This will probably appeal to the "cost is no object" folks on this forum, but it offends me.

I have the trail guide available from this forum loaded on/in my ebook and carried the device on last years section hike.

I have to say the small screen makes it a bit hard to dabble with the guide. It's kind of cumbersome to get located. Once you're there It's fine.

I had no problem with keeping the unit safe while hiking, however, while motorcycle camping, I accidentally sat on it while fleeing a rain storm to my tent. This broke the screen, a $100 mistake.

I plan on carrying it on this years section hike through the Smokies.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

I'm also an "open" guy and won't buy an e-reader as long as the content is locked to a particular provider. The idea of having 20 books with me on the trail and great battery life is really intriguing.

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this thread. I suppose that means very few people that want books on the trail and especially want an e-reader?

I own a kindle and there is no way I would take it backpacking.

I'll bet a donut we'll see somebody try to carry an Apple iPad on a thru-hike this year. Yep, right next to their alcohol stove. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I'll bet a donut we'll see somebody try to carry an Apple iPad on a thru-hike this year. Yep, right next to their alcohol stove. Mark my words.
    When do you figure "wireless hotspot" locations will start being added to the thruhikers companion? Right now it is only places that have computers you can use at libraries etc. At some point there is going to be clamor to add all the locations that someone with an 803.11 device can use.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd worry about fancy electronics like that on the trail with moisture, cold, etc. But I also know someone who packed a small word processor to type a book, so you never know.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I think eventually you will see something like the Kindle being very common for people backpacking - like a cell phone. I think they need to be a little lighter and cheaper. But imagine having multiple books and your guide available for the weight of one paper back. I think the iPhone now can read Kendle and probably Droid will too some day. I know I keep a copy of my guide for the BMT on my Smartphone in PDF and a copy of the Companion for reference of the AT so I can plan a hike while on the road or away from my house.

I plan to explore looking into porting a digital version at some point. Just worry about copies flying around without getting some form of compensation for the time and effort. Also, as I understand it, Kendles do well with text, but not so hot with images like profiles and town maps. I don't know for certain on that point.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I brought a kindle on the PCT last summer and loved it. Great battery life,too. I kept it in a gallon ziploc and made a little case out of a piece of Z-rest and some duct tape to slide it into;worked great. Haven't tried any guidebooks,but really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who likes to read a lot. I can't go anywhere without books, and this makes it so easy. You never have to worry about finishing a book and having nothing to read, or in my case,I've carried 2 books just so that wouldn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    When do you figure "wireless hotspot" locations will start being added to the thruhikers companion? Right now it is only places that have computers you can use at libraries etc. At some point there is going to be clamor to add all the locations that someone with an 803.11 device can use.
    I would rather just a list be created and posted on the net for people to download. You only need that information if you have a wi-fi device and you can store that information on your device as well. No sense in adding extra pages when you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Now that's a great idea! But most people will probably balk at the idea........

Kinda like how the idea of micro-chipping thru-hikers so they wouldn't need to carrying a SPOT device went over like a lead balloon.

Hey it could still happen!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Kindles do well with text, but not so hot with images like profiles and town maps. I don't know for certain on that point.
    I picked up a hiking book about Shenandoah NP for the Kindle and returned it (ie. deleted it and got a refund) because the maps were unreadable. The Kindle only zooms so far into a graphic.

I bought a hardcopy of the book instead. Much better. But I still love my Kindle.

Isn't it ironic that it can't be used for kindling.

Unless of course the noun becomes a verb, just as the verb became a noun.

Default Things You Can Do witha Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Isn't it ironic that it can't be used for kindling.

Unless of course the noun becomes a verb, just as the verb became a noun.

Give it time.

Pretty soon somebody will post a YouTube video up on how you can boil water with the darn thing or zelph will design an alcohol stove out of one.......

.....now where's my fiberglass wick?

Well that would be poetic justice, with the right download.

KILLOOLEET

There's a wonderful woodland singer
    In the North, called Killooleet, ---
    That is to say Little Sweetvoice
    In the tongue of the Milicete,

The tribe of the upper Wolaastook,
    Who range that waterway
    From the blue fir hills of its sources
    To the frogs and tides of the bay.

All day long in the sunshine,
    All night long through the rains,
    On the grey wet cedar barrens
    And the lonely blueberry plains,

You may hear Killooleet singing,
    Hear his O sweet
    (Then a grace-note, then the full cadence),
    Killooleet Killooleet Killooleet!

Whenever you dip a paddle,
    Or set a pole in the stream,
    Killooleet marks the ripple,
    Killooleet knows the gleam;

Killooleet gives you welcome,
    Killooleet makes you free
    With the great sweet wilderness freedom
    That holds over land and sea.

You may slide your birch through the alders,
    Or camp where the rapids brawl,
    The first glad forest greeting
    Will still be the Killooleet's call.

Wherever you drive a tent-pin,
    Or kindle a fire at night,
    Killooleet comes to the ridge-pole,
    Killooleet answers the light.

The dark may silence the warblers;
    The heavy and thunderous hush
    That comes before storm may stifle
    The pure cool notes of the thrush;

The waning season may sober
    Bobolink, bluebird, and quail;
    But Killooleet's stainless transport
    Will not diminish or fail.

Henceforth you shall love and fear not,
    Remembering Killooleet's song
    Haunting the wild waste places,
    Deliberate, tranquil, and strong;

And you shall come without cunning,
    But wise in the simpler lore,
    To the House of the Little Brothers,
    And God will open the door.

- Bliss Carmen

iPad: I don't get the appeal. Basically a giant iPhone without an actual phone, without a camera, and (TBD, don't know if anyone knows yet) possibly without a true GPS.

Ditto the kindle; IMO it's too big and too limited in functionality for me to want to carry on the trail. I had eBooks galore on my smartphone on the PCT in 2008 and will on the AT this year. I actually used them only infrequently in trail towns; trail life didn't leave me inclined to read much.

But a good smartphone does a number of things; yes, the screen is smaller. No problem, bring small and light drugstore reading glasses. I find that I quickly forget the format and get wrapped up in whatever it is I'm reading.

Justatouron said:
    "When do you figure "wireless hotspot" locations will start being added to the thruhikers companion? Right now it is only places that have computers you can use at libraries etc."
    Yet another thing that I'm surprised isn't already well laid out by someone on the AT. With the bazillion people I understand that hike the trail each year I'm surprised at what volunteers have not put together for the trail, including this. For the PCT, Halfmile has been maintaining a list of wi-fi points along the way for a couple of years now. It just takes someone to collect and maintain it online, and volunteers to report updates each year ... I gave him one or two plus some cell phone signal strength reports the year I went through, wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, for a thru-hiker, I suggest a smartphone as a much better trade-off to carry, assuming you're like me and the small screen is something you can live with. If interested in this approach, I wrote up some thoughts on selecting a smartphone after my 2008 experience.

Images

I don't know about wi-fi hotspots on the BMT, I do list the only spot (it is about 10' in diameter) where you are likely to get cell phone coverage in about a 200 mile stretch.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++