WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Hiking

Smile Old Man Hiking

I am begining to start to plan my 2011 thru hike. My wife of 42 years is supportive of this trip, but many friends think I am crazy. The question I have is, what are the major issues facing a 64 year old on the trail? I am in realitively good shape, do a lot of days hike, and do 3-5 week long hikes each year. What can I expect?

Also, when one leaves a spouse at home, what have some of you done to limit the the stress and let them know that they are not forgotten? How do I keep her from getting resentful.?
    This has been a dream of mine for 30 years and she supports it, but I feel bad leaving her with all the work to do.

Any hints would be helpful.

I know I will be back for more info on what to expect and how to prepare.

Congrats on your upcomming hike
    you should have no problems seems like you keep yourself in shape
    keep in touch with your wife and tell her how much you miss her
    see if she can meet with you in trail towns for a few days together
    good luck

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Welcome to WB! The AT is tough on mature knees. Cho-pat knee braces and hiking poles helped us. Get her a map to track your progress and call often. If she collects anything, try to get her something from each state. Make arrangements before your hike for gifts on special days like birthday or anniversary. Timing can make it difficult to coordinate that when you're in the woods. Make arrangements for her to meet you in some locations she might enjoy so you both can share a couple of days off. Enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Billygoat, a friend of many say's that you should not feel pressured to keep the pace of other younger people. Last summer on the PCT I hiked quite a few miles with Old Ridgerunner, 67 years old. He hiked to central Oregon and got off the trail only because he pulled a moose ticket in the vermont lottery. He wanted to get home to start scouting,and plans on finishing the PCT this coming summer.I believe he will. He wakes up early and doesn't hang around towns, going to bars, etc... In that way he is able to keep the mileage up. I was hiking around him because I took a lot of zeros and he didn't. he listened to his body and resisted outside influence.I can't help with the old lady,and I could use some tips myself

I turned 61 on the trail. I left Feb 11 got to Katadin Sept 29th. 2007. Go slow enjoy see everything and watch the speeders burn out. I would kike to join you on some of the GA NC section. Travel as light as you can.

Images

If you don't already do it, consider starting a program of conditioning and stretching to prevent injuries. For me, that would be core strengthening exercises, quad and hamstring strengthening exercises and stretches (for the knees) and iliotibial band stretches (for hip problems). Definitely use hiking poles. Try to keep your pack weight low even if you can easily carry a heavy pack -- this will reduce chances of injury. It does sound like you're in good shape, so go for it!

If you're on any medications, talk to your doctors about possible side effects. Get a physical.

On the wife issues: do whatever you can in advance to reduce the work she has to do in your absence. Plan on meeting whenever she can make it. PA is somewhat centrally located for the AT.

Are you a medical doctor?

You're not too old, if that's what you're asking. My first day on the AT I was passed by a 77 year old man going up the hill while smoking a cigarette...I was 25 at the time, and the "old man" was in far better shape than I was.

Welcome to WB Doctortom!

Sure the AT's tough. Start slow and let your body adjust. You're guaranteed to have your "legs" by Damascus.

The rest is all about playing the mental game.

Good luck!

Springer to Atkins, VA

Sounds like you have the "training" part of the equation down...or will. As to the wife..just get her involved. Outline a map with your plan. Have her mail your drops per your plan. Have her meet you (if she can) along the trail when you take zero days..or walk some of the trail with you. Lots of ways to get her involved. You will both enjoy the journey together.

The physical conditioning will come as you progress. The mental aspect of a thru-hike is even more difficult. Your wife will need to be more than just supportive of your trip. She will need to be enthusiastic and happy for you and let you know this. There will be too many days when you are tired and run down and will feel homesick. It is too easy to pack up and head home when the going gets tough. In order to persevere, you need mental toughness and the assurances that everything is alright at home. For you 6 months is a timeframe that is realistic; maybe longer. That's a long time to be away from a loved one you have spent so much time with. Make sure everything is taken care of before you leave. For me, that means making sure my wife has all the hay she needs for her horse. The riding lawnmower is ready to go when she needs it. The snow tires have been changed over and all the vehicles have been inspected. Lots of things like that are some of the things you need to take care of for her. Get her involved and make her feel needed so that you can succeed with your dream. Perhaps she can meet you along the way. Spend a few days together in town. If you start to feel down. Take a day or two off in a nice motel and call her to discuss. I am sure she will tell you everything is alright and to continue. It is alright to have a good cry now and again as well. Lonliness out on the Trail (even with all the other people) is real and the mental and emotional tole it takes can be significant. Good luck!!

Images

First of all, I want to address the knees. Use hiking poles and maybe take glucosomine/chondroitan supplements. They work wonders for my husbands knees. They take about six weeks to really feel the difference, so start early.

It will be frustrating watching the young ones fly by, at least it was for me. Let them go and don't stress it.

About the wife, if she can meet you in Shenendoah, there are a couple of nice resort hotels that date back to the 1930's or 1940's. This would be a nice place to meet up.

Damascus is nice to meet up in too. The Lazy Fox B & B is a great place, and the bicycle ride down the Virginia Creeper Trail is very easy and very fun. All you need to do is keep your balance. You coast down an old railroad track turned trail. All you really have to do is know how to brake lol.

Have fun!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

You might consider having Spot with spot personal tracker service so she can see where you are. It requires a home computer to be completely effective. However, it also works at the public library computer, for example.

If you have iPhone, you can use MotionX GPS. MotionX-GPS shows your position and track at all times on street, topo/terrain and satellite maps: she can view your progress in Google Maps. There is an "auto-share" Facebook application feature, as well. This updates when you are in cell phone service areas.

Because you are doing "3-5 week long hikes each year" I think this thru-hike won't be so bad: you already know how to be self-sufficient for many days at a stretch.

The AT has so many "trail towns" where you can refresh, shower, resupply.

I think the AT will be easier for you, than for many others.

Be sure to read the PCT and CDT journals (on trailjournals.com) of Mr.D, Chuck Daniels. Unfortunately, he didn't post his AT journal, but you'll learn a lot from the others. (I have, for sure.) Chuck writes a great, informative journal -- lots of information for people in our age cohort. He completed the Triple Crown with the CDT at age 70. Here's a link: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8691

Good luck! And do post a journal, won't you? Better yet, ask your wife to do it for you. That will get her really involved in your trip.

Images

I second the idea of a SPOT messenger, but you might want to wait to buy until they come out with the model that hooks up to the DeLorme GPS's that was just announced. I had one on the PCT and sent an "I'm OK" message every night that my wife used to check where I was.

I also second the use of hikingpoles--they save my knees, and of knee braces such as Chopat's, though by half way thru the hike I'd left mine on a fire tower and didn't notice them missing for a whole day. (Another hiker brought them ahead to me, but I decided I didn't need them anymore since my leg muscles had strengthened to better support the knee joint). The best thing for knees, however, is to try to keep your load light. I started out with lots of spare clothes. Believe me those ounces really add up quickly to pounds.

Another help, if you can afford it, is to hire help to take over the chores you used to handle at home (such as grass cutting).

Finally, since you're in PA, they will be several opportunities to get together on the trail if your wife is willing to make the drive.

As to being too old, P'shaw! I hiked the AT as part of a group of Four Dirty Old Men (the FDOM). I was 61, another, BigFoot, was 63, and Grey Goose was 69. We gave Veto, at 49, honorary status. All of us made it to Katahdin. Also, I was 63 when I hiked the PCT in '08 and I easily kept up with two hikers aged 19 and 25 until I left for my nephew's wedding. I'll be heading out on the CDT this spring. In other words, if you're in reasonable shape, and start out slowly you'll shape up on the trail and be feeling like you're 30 again my the time you exit the Smokies---until you look in the mirror, that is! Ha! Ha!

Go for it!
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

OMG! smokin a smoke, going uphill and 77 to boot???
    Freakn' Hilarious!!!
    Can't wait to get out on the trail!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctortom View Post
    I am begining to start to plan my 2011 thru hike. My wife of 42 years is supportive of this trip, but many friends think I am crazy. The question I have is, what are the major issues facing a 64 year old on the trail? I am in realitively good shape, do a lot of days hike, and do 3-5 week long hikes each year. What can I expect?

Also, when one leaves a spouse at home, what have some of you done to limit the the stress and let them know that they are not forgotten? How do I keep her from getting resentful.?
    This has been a dream of mine for 30 years and she supports it, but I feel bad leaving her with all the work to do.

Any hints would be helpful.

I know I will be back for more info on what to expect and how to prepare.
    A fellow thru hiker I met in 07 was 65 st the time and had no problem due to his age.

Good luck and enjoy your hike.
    Pootz 07

Images

Default She wont have to do your laundry

I would think that if your wife is supporting your hike she will be happy to get a phone call or letter mailed from each point you come upon civilization. It is good that you are being thoughtful of her concerns but after 42 years of marriage I am sure she has had a few ideas of her own about how she would spend some alone time if she had it. Lots of times we women are so occupied by our men that we forget to do the things we used to enjoy, such as doting upon ourselves, spending excess time at the library, going to the movies with friends, making new friends, supporting a favorite charity, visiting adult children and grandchildren. It may feel awkward for her for the first week or so but she will find stuff to keep her occupied.
    Photofanatic: I will try anything once and twice if I like it.

:banana Old Man Hiking

I really appreciate your comments. No, I am not a doctor, but I had helped so many with rediculous problems that a freind of mine called started calling me doctor. I guess I am not that old and will be looking forward to going on my walk. Sometimes I feel like the Hobit.

Now I have to get onto shape and I will definitely look into "Spot".

I am sure more questions will follow.

Thanks again for the support.

Tom

AT 2012

I'm just a tad younger myself, but I do a lot of hiking. After some long section hikes I realized that if I planned carefully I could carry a really light pack, and that I could lose the entire weight of that pack by eating better and exercising -- so that it was almost like I had no pack at all! Not rocket science, I know, but it turned out to be a miracle for me. Carry a 15 pound pack and you'll feel like you're 20 years younger and have an even better time than you were going to have... and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

I think that the older you are the more important a light pack becomes. Lots of advice on this site about that. Oh -- and know that there's at least one envious older guy around who wishes he could thru hike with you!
    Lazarus

Images

Hiked exactly one day with a 67 year old slight built man who shouldered a kids external framepack and was laying down 20 mile days . He was in better shape than most hikers I encountered including me , if you read my first 3 words.

The key to hiking after AARP benefits kick in is how well you have maintained your physical body in your younger years.

Of course a lighter pack and taking things easy while getting in those hiker legs also helps immensely.

More power to you. Hike it like you imagined it.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++