WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What all size of Compression Sacks/Dry Sacks do you use?

Hey:

I'm debating on what all sizes of dry sacks I should take on my thru-hike. Obviously one for my sleeping pad and sleeping bag, but what about food, etc.?

Just curious on what sizes you guys use.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Images

I haven't made mine yet. I never needed them before.

So, leaftye, you agree that I can get away without one? Because that's what I've been thinking I'm just debating really if I definately need one for my bag, because that's one thing I'd rather not deal with-sleeping wet.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Images

Oh no, I'm not saying that. It's just that I've always lived in places where using water proof stuff sacks were a waste of money. Of course I'm typing this at the beginning of a week that's likely to give my area record breaking amounts of rain and snow.

Images

Definitely use waterproof stuff sacks if you're doing a thru-hike. I will.

I am in "rainy" Oregon State.

Right now, for the sleep system, I have a 8L Sea to Summit eVac Dry Sack I pack inside the main compartment of my backpack. The AirVent Reduction Packliner from Granite Gear is a good one. I have also used Granite Gear Square Rock Solid Compression Sacks. I have even used the 12x14" The Pouch Space Bag and the 14x20" Coleman Space Savers small compressible roll-up. The Travel Space Saver Space Bag Roll Up & Go 13.75x19.5" carry on size, included in the package of two sizes might be the right size for your pack.

My sleeping pad is folded over twice, right next to the water reservoir.

I do have a pack cover made for that backpack that covers it all.

I have a small trash compactor bag for the insulation clothing. I roll the end.

Extra socks are in side zip pockets, inside ordinary plastic bags, end folded over.

The food bag is freezer bag meals inside an Opsak. The ingredients for "add-ons" are in a separate Opsak. I use 12x20 Opsaks, but neither one is full. One Opsak becomes the garbage Opsak as I hike. If the trash bag becomes objectionable for me to carry inside my pack, I lash it with 10mm bungie cordage, from a marine hardware store, outside on the back of my backpack.

I do clean off trash, as much as I can, before putting it inside the trash Opsak.

I do wish I had rain chaps and a Packa here, in Oregon.

The poncho-tarp hangs off the back of the backpack because it almost never gets really dry.

I have put an elastic mesh pocket in the pack raincover, for that purpose.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicMagger View Post
    So you agree that I can get away without one? Because that's what I've been thinking I'm just debating really if I definately need one for my bag, because that's one thing I'd rather not deal with-sleeping wet.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Thanks,

-Kevin
    A trash compactor bag is all I've ever used. Inspect for holes every week or so and patch with duct tape if needed.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I agree with garlic08 on using the trash compactor bag. They last a long time but you do need to inspect.

Ditch your compression sacks. You'll be amazed at how much more room you'll get in your pack without them. It's because your sleeping bag is allowed to fill every void loosely instead of like a brick.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

For my E2E this summer I plan on using a trash compactor bag as my bag liner. And 1 gallong zip lock bags to pack all my cloths and xtra items in. Label each one and I can see through them. I got this Ideah from some one (dont remember who) and with the smaller gallon bags you can fit gear into more nooks and cranies as opposed to 3-4 stuff sacks. For my bear bag I plan on using an Ursack Minor with smell proff bags. And my TQ and UQ I will pack in a seperate trash compactor bag at the bottom of my Pack.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicMagger View Post
    Hey:

I'm debating on what all sizes of dry sacks I should take on my thru-hike. Obviously one for my sleeping pad and sleeping bag, but what about food, etc.?

Just curious on what sizes you guys use.

Thanks,

-Kevin
    Since I'm a drygear NUT, I use Outdoor Research Hydroseal DryComp sacks, size 1 for my down sleeping bag, size 3 for my in camp clothing. (Couldn't care less how wet my hiking stuff gets wet, but I will do anything to keep my in camp stuff dry.), use a sea to summit dry sack (not compression, just a waterprof, super light weight bag) for my food, both in my pack and hanging as a bear/mouse bag.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

i like 7x15 stuff sacks...

It must be left over from having a "lightweight" Kelty pack with three divisions inside the main pack compartment. That Kelty pack was lightweight and modern then.

I know I do like organization.

I don't like to have to dump my pack to get at something I want to use right now.

I mentioned compression sacks for those who need to reduce volume. I don't smash down anything hard. I life softly cradling precious favorite gear. For that reason alone, I do not overpack.

I especially like to have three divisions: sleep system in the middle, ready to heat food bag shoved down one side, food "add-ons" shoved down the other side, miscellaneous junk loosely on the bottom, clothing I need laid on at the top.

As I consume food, I pack clothing items loosely in a long stuff sack on one side.

The two food sacks are folded lengthwise, so they are long top to bottom.

I can reach and feel the miscellaneous junk on the bottom of the pack I feel I need.

The junk stuff on the bottom of the pack are the candidates for never being carried again. I have noticed how they keep getting carried. I might need them. It could happen.

I especially do not like my "sleep system" or any valuable insulation in the bottom of the pack. I know, this is a matter of preference, but I really like the three divisions to shove things under and down the sides when I pack loosely in the 8L Sea to Summit eVac Dry Sac.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I found that with my internal frame backpack, the stuff-sack is not good for the sleeping bag.

It compresses the sleeping bag into a stiff oblong shape that does not pack down well into the pack.

I got rid of it & just use a trash compactor bag.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

I use my sleeping bag in a compression sack, and stuff my tent around it. I'd put it in a contractor/compactor trash bag and let it fill the pack (I'm sure it'd be better for the loft of my bag), but I'm way too paranoid about it getting wet. So, I use a dry bag compression sack.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

i have an osprey atmos 50, so packing is with sleeping bag stuff sacks stinks because of the frame. so i pack it a little something like this, sleeping bag in a big trash bag loosely crammed into the bottom. above that goes my my underquilt as it compresses very nicely, then my hammock, then i put my food in a dry bag that takes up 2/3 of the space horizontally and then i can fit my pot, stove and windscreen in the other 1/3 and maybe even my first aid stuff right next to the pot against the side of the pack. above that anything goes, usually nothing but sometimes an extra sweater or anything... works for me.

Images

Yeah- the curve on your pack look like it'd be a bit of a bummer. (Still a super nice looking pack though! I'd get one, but I like lots of pockets!)

Images

Meant "looked" not "look".

Images

the curve IS a bummer but also its comfortable. i have a love hate relationship with my curve. but ultimately its my pack of choice...

Images

Granite Gear makes some really nice silnylon and eVent, block shaped, dry bag/ compression bag. If you put your sleeping bag in it and roll it to seal the water out, you don't need to compress it all the way so you don't over compress your bag. As you pile stuff on top of it, the eVent lets the air out as its needed. The block shape gets rid of the dead air space in your pack and lets you cram more stuff in. I switched to this a few months ago and it works great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++