WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default HELP Cloths weight 5.5+ pounds

5.5+ lbs of cloths

Columbia zip Fleece 15 oz
    Western Mountaineering Flight Vest 6 oz
    nylon shorts 3 oz
    UnderArmor Compression Undies 3.5 oz
    Sock liner 2 pair 4 oz
    Smartwool socks 2 pair 6 oz
    Nylon LS shirt 9oz
    Capilene 2 LS top 5oz
    Capilene 2 Long bottom 5oz
    Nylon Convertable pants 11oz
    Dry Sack 1.5oz
    Marmot Ion Wind Shirt/Jacket 6 oz
    NF Venture Rain Jacket 13oz
    Gloves 2oz
    ---------------
    90oz / 5.625 pounds

Now in defence I hate being cold and I like to change into dry cloths when I get to the shelter. And this list does not have the clothes I will be wearing. Please give your suggestion as to how I can get the weight down. Thanks
    Scruffy GA>ME March 1 2010
    All endeavors require some blood, I just wish it wasn't always my blood:)

I know...wrong direction...but

You need a winter hat!
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I know...wrong direction...but

You need a winter hat!
    I am counting on that being on my head and the second boggon is part of my kitchen used as a pot cozy/ backup boggon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    5.5+ lbs of cloths

Columbia zip Fleece 15 oz
    Western Mountaineering Flight Vest 6 oz
    nylon shorts 3 oz toss out and stick with convertible pants
    Sock liner 2 pair 4 oz
    Nylon LS shirt 9oz toss out. you've got a fleece and capilene LS
    Capilene 2 LS top 5oz
    Capilene 2 Long bottom 5oz
    Nylon Convertable pants 11oz
    Dry Sack 1.5oz
    Marmot Ion Wind Shirt/Jacket 6 oz toss out. use rain jacket
    NF Venture Rain Jacket 13oz
    Gloves 2oz
    ---------------
    90oz / 5.625 pounds

Now in defence I hate being cold and I like to change into dry cloths when I get to the shelter. And this list does not have the clothes I will be wearing. Please give your suggestion as to how I can get the weight down. Thanks
    see above edit.

so this is in addition to what you are wearing?
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

and good luck with yer' hike! have fun!

Images

I would dump the Wind shirt, use the rain jacket instead,
    Dump the shorts, you have the convertible pants,
    You could also dump the fleece and just use the vest with both long sleeve shirts,
    or invest in a Montbell EX Light down jacket for insulation, size medium weighs 5.7 ounces, then you just use a base layer, and your rain jacket as an outer shell.

Images

Those changes would put you at 4 lbs. total, give or take an ounce

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, nobody has any idea what your comfort level is. The question that I like to ask as it pertains to clothing choices is this:

Will you ever wear everything at the same time? If not, you might be carrying too much.

You have 4 jackets listed. Aside from rain jacket, which you absolutely need, will you ever wear all 4 at the same time? You also have 2 LS shirts.

If when in camp, and you are wearing everything that you have and are still cold, can you jump into sleeping bag and get warmed up?

In addition to the hat, which I noticed that you have addressed, you might need something to cover your face.

Just some thoughts...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    so this is in addition to what you are wearing?
    yep I would have on capilene 1 shirt SS capilene 2 shirt LS Compression Shorts, convertiable pants, sock, sockliners and a boggon

Images

I plan to use my Capilene 2 long sleeve shirt and Capilene 3 bottoms as sleep gear.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    5.5+ lbs of cloths

Columbia zip Fleece 15 oz Fleece is notoriously heavy for its warmth--look at Marmot Driclime or Montbell Thermawrap or similar.
    Western Mountaineering Flight Vest 6 oz Carry this for Spring time only
    nylon shorts 3 oz Don't need these with convertible pants
    Sock liner 2 pair 4 oz Leave these behind if you can
    Nylon LS shirt 9oz This looks redundant
    Capilene 2 LS top 5oz
    Capilene 2 Long bottom 5oz Carry this for Spring time only
    Nylon Convertable pants 11oz Wear these and don't bring anything else
    Dry Sack 1.5oz
    Marmot Ion Wind Shirt/Jacket 6 oz This is redundant with the rain jacket
    NF Venture Rain Jacket 13oz Lighter jackets are available--Marmot Essence, 7 oz
    Gloves 2oz
    ---------------
    90oz / 5.625 pounds

Being comfortable at camp will be a matter of experience as much as what you carry. If you wear all your layers on an uphill climb, you'll overheat and get everything soaked from sweat--common rookie error. If you manage your layers well and take the time on the trail to keep you insulation packed and dry, you'll be fine when you get to camp even in a good rain.

Just a few suggestions above based on my experience. It wouldn't work for many, I know.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

You mentioned that you would be wearing a hat and so didn't count that weight. Are all of the listed pieces items that you will be carrying in addition to what you are wearing?

As noted above, you have items that can do some double duty. Without compromising comfort you could lose the shorts and the wind shirt. The fleece could be dumped and just use the vest and rain jacket for warmth.

Have you hiked without liner socks before? Do you find them necessary to prevent foot troubles?

Images

I agree with the face coverage as well, Living in the White Mountains I can tell you with certainty that you get chapped lips and a aching face from just a few minutes of exposure. Especially this time of year when the temps are typically below zero.
    I plan to carry a Balaclava or just use a bandana.

You don't need two pairs of long pants plus shorts. If you want something to change into at night or while doing laundry keep the shorts and dump the second pair of long pants.

Seems like you have too many shirts. In spring you need a t-shirt for the warm sunny days and two capilene type shirts, one to hike in on the cold days and one to sleep in that stays dry and isn't worn hiking.

For those advocating lighter raingear - does a 7 oz rain jacket actually work to keep you warm when it's snowing or sleeting or for an all day rain? If not, stick with what you have. Lighter is better only if it works at least as well.

Images

Several people have already hit on the fac that clothing maintenance is as important as the clothes you have. What I have learned in cold weather hiking is strip down before you head out in the am till you just feel a bit chilled while standing there getting ready to go. By the time you have walked for 15 min you will have warmed up enough to be comfortable with out running the risk of making your clothes damp from sweat. When at camp put on a warm layer as soon as you get in to help maintain the body warmth an en just add the layers as you need them. By doing this you will have stuff to keep adding through the night. Take one layer off before bed so you have a layer to add first thing in the AM while you pack up and get ready. This is what I have found to work very well. Again this is what works for me it may not be your style but a lot of my hiking seems t be in the "off" season when it it is colder.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Will View Post
    Have you hiked without liner socks before? Do you find them necessary to prevent foot troubles?
    Yes I normally hike without liner but my wife just got me a new pair of Montrail GTX Torre and they are a half size too big. The boot work when I add the sockliners and also I have heard that my feet will swell a good deal hence the over size boots. But with my old boots , also GTX Torre, I have done 4 days of 16 miles a day without any problems.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    ...For those advocating lighter raingear - does a 7 oz rain jacket actually work to keep you warm when it's snowing or sleeting or for an all day rain?
    My 7 oz Essence jacket (heavy by my friend Pickle's standard, who has hiked the Triple Crown, and keeps going, with his 3 oz silnylon Brawny parka) has been fine for thousands of trail miles, including the CDT, AT, AZT, and PNT. The Essence mainly saves by eliminating a lot of features--no waist pockets, no pit zips, no Velcro wrist closures, smaller hood, shorter waist. Works fine for three season thru hikes with occasional alpine snow. I don't take it ski touring, though.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Here is a link to a total packing list. It has been posted several times. It was apparently developed by Winton Porter at Mountain Crossings. Some folks would swear by this list (others might swear at it). It is my understanding that the 6.5 lb of clothing on the list includes all of the needed clothes. (Unlike your 5.5 lb list, which does not include the clothes that you would already be wearing).

http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Note: Winton recommends 1) rain paints over convertable pants. 2) dumping 1.5 lb in warm weather. If you start March 1 you should carry 2 lb extra. Lots of UL hikers carry a wind shirt.
    Be sure to carry these responses. You may need to burn them for warmth.

Are the 3 oz shorts, for wearing or are they underware for the convertable pants?
    Rambler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++