WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Dealing with aggressive dogs

I'm posting this on straight-forward because I really want this thread to stay focused on the question--and not drift off into all of the side issues.

My biggest fear is aggressive dogs. (I have been bitten by dogs a few times in my life). I usually hike in very remote areas or other places where dogs are not encountered very frequently. Obviously, that is not the case with the AT.

What suggestions can you people share that might help me to better deal with potentially aggressive dogs while I am on the AT?

(For what it is worth, I have owned dogs most of my life. I currently own a 105 lb. Chocolate Lab who will NOT be joining me on my hikes. So, please don't accuse me of being "anti-dog". I simply have fears of being bitten or attacked by a potentially aggressive dog).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Pepper spray. If the owner yells at you because they failed to control their dog, spray the owner too.

This is one of the things my Leki poles are for.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I carry a few small stones in my pocket. I've ad some pretty scary experiences with aggressive dogs too and although I have poles, I would rather keep them further away than that.
    Tintin hikes the Appalachian Trail
    Trail Journal, Website, Twitter

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I always carry a few Snausages in my pocket. No need to be afraid of a dog. Make him your friend. Wrap a couple of gummi bears in the snausages if the dog is not friendly.

lol gummie bears, nice try , how's about a spoon of peanut butter lol.

seriously though I think the spray is a good one, trekking poles is a very good way to go for sure, I have fended off dogs wtih them, remember stab don't swing lol

swing and yell till within striking distance , THEN stab :P

and as suggested above give the same to owner if they growl at ya too lol
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 01-19-2010 at 15:47.

First, what you are fearing, bad dogs, are terribly unusual on the AT. I've hiked about 4,000 miles on the AT and the only bad dog experience I've had was one morning when I awakened by a large German shepherd slobbering over my face. Worst doggie breath I've ever encountered. On the Benton MacKaye Trail, however, on one of the road walks on a country lane, I had a German shepherd and pit bull come out from under the porch of a farm house, barring teeth and barking. I moved to the far side of the lane and, don't ask me why, whistled as loudly as I could. That was enough for the shepherd and he went back under the porch, but the pit bull kept coming. I kept facing him and wouldn't let him get behind me, and my sticks were at the ready. I'm not sure how effective they would have been. Meanwhile, I kept slowly backing up the lane, hoping I would reach the edge of his perceived territory. I was scared. I decided to try baby talk, you know how you talk to puppies, "Good puppy, you are so brave, defending your property, good doggie ..." in a singsong voice. He immediately stopped his attack, cocked his head and seemed to be debating whether to roll over for a belly rub or to eat me. His hesitation didn't last long and he lunged at me again. When I did the "good doggie" routine again, he again showed hesitation. Meanwhile I was edging up the lane and eventually hit the magic spot and he went home. I guess every dog, even a "bad" dog, has happy puppy memories. It's worth a try at any rate.

Another thought. You own a large dog so are comfortable around large dogs, so you would never approach a strange dog but rather would invite the dog to approach and to sniff you. I've seen hikers violate that to their detriment.

I personally do not and would not carry pepper spray. I figure it is the weight of several Little Debbie Oatmeal Cakes, which I would rather have. Just me.

I used my Lekis on the AT twice for pitbulls and they worked good, but after doing some long distance bicycle riding and dealing with aggressive dogs, I started carrying pepper spray. It stops the worst dogs cold in their tracks. I only have to use the spray on a cross country bicycle ride an average of about three times, but when I do, it's when it's needed. I don't spray a dog for just chasing me. It's easy to tell when there's real danger.

I would have been in trouble in MA on the AT if I would have been alone when two pitbulls attacked while I was still walking at dusk, but luckily I was walking with John Galt and he kept one away with his poles while I kept another away.

The other time on the AT was in GA and I was able to keep that pitbull away with my poles.

Sometimes, even a dog that's used to walking the Trail with it's owner can be aggressive when you walk into camp or in some way surprise it.

Even though I like dogs and had dogs most of my life, I make it a point to not pay attention to a Trail dog and not to give a Trail dog any food.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Default stick

I've hiked a little over half the AT now and have not had any trouble with dogs on the Trail except when getting near and going through towns. You can get very aggressive dogs "protecting" their territory, which can included parts of the AT that go near their yards etc. This has happened several times.

If I'm not already carrying a Leki staff (which I usually do only in wintry conditions) then I'm sure to grab a good sized hiking "stick" in the woods before I hit town. I've never yet encountered a dog that didn't back off when shown a stick in a threatening manner. I've never had to come close to actually having to strike the dog--it's just a 'dominance show' thing.

If the dog is accompanied, the dog's *owner* may however attack you in response to the stick--that happened to me on a city trail once when I was charged by some guy's uncontrolled dog and warded it off by waving a very slender stick that couldn't have hurt a squirrel.

If you hike with Leki poles or a hiking stick or staff, you're covered--

Images

shouting, waving, a crack alongside the head, then, finally, a jab with this, in that order...
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

On many of my weekend hikes, and section hikes, its quite noticable how well just having hiking poles work to keep the small minority of agressive dogs I encounter at bay. I rarely if ever have to wave them, but most dogs will back off just by the sight of them. Even if I am not using the poles, like on a road walk or a ridgewalk, I carry both poles in one hand, sometimes collapsed, mostly to keep them handy, but also as a dog deterrent.

I do agree that I have far more encounters with agressive dogs along rural roads than on the trail.

Images

I have only had bad dog experiences while on road walks or in town. When i have hiked with my dog I am concerned about dog to dog interaction as some dogs can be people friendly but dog aggressive. Hank, for as big as he is, is also very submissive and will just roll over so if one really got after him he would get the bad end of it that is for sure. I had to grab him one time and pick him up until the other owner was able to get control of their dog as well.

Most of the time when faced by myself with an aggressive dog I use the trekking poles to keep them at bay while backing away and shouting often that will either turn the dog or get the owner to call them off. I had one owner when he came out and saw me with my poles yell at me as his dog headed back tot he house. He told me if i hit his dog with those he would hit me. I told him that if his dog bit me I would be shoving the pole up his ass while beating his dog. He glared at me and realized I was just possibly unstable enough to do it.

I am not sure if this truly would work or not but it might. I hear that if the dog is truly aggressive you can throw a Minnesotasmith at them and that will distract them until you can get safely away. I don't think it would be worth the extra weight.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

Stand your ground and project a strong energy. If you act afraid, aggressive dogs will sense it and act upon it.

As a life-long cyclists I know dogs; I can't count how many times I've had a dog charge me, I've even had a pack of dogs come at me. Now when I run on the beach or neighborhood dogs come at me.

In the beginning my first instinct, like most was to speed up on my bike, but that just causes them to run faster and are much more prone to bite. Of all the times I've been bitten was when I was retreating.

I’ve found that if I just stop and stand my ground and eventually walk toward them and assert control they almost always back off. However, always be ready for that 1-in-a-1,000 that will attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    What suggestions can you people share that might help me to better deal with potentially aggressive dogs while I am on the AT?
    Use whatever weapon you like, but remember sometimes we get caught off-guard. Just remember you are much better equipped to fight then they are; all they got are teeth (too many people focus way too much attention on their teeth). You got hands, feet, maybe a weapon, and a brain -- stay calm and a brain is your best defense. In short, if you get caught off-guard poke his eyes out.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Stand your ground and project a strong energy. If you act afraid, aggressive dogs will sense it and act upon it.
    From what I've learned about dogs since owning one for the last several years, this is very true. Dogs communicate by body language almost exclusively, and you really need to pay attention to it around them. They pick up on the slightest, almost unconscious gestures and movements (especially around dinner time).

I've encountered only one aggressive dog, on a rural road in Idaho, in all my hiking, and not one on the AT. I was carrying pepper spray that time (grizzly country, too) and pulled it out and acted aggressively. The animal backed down immediately.

I don't think there's a need to carry pepper spray for dogs (or bears) on the AT. Cycle touring, especially in the Appalachians, definitely. I got chased by over 20 dogs on one day cycling in the hills of KY once. A squirt from the water bottle took care of them, though. If you have a way of carrying a squirt bottle accessible while hiking, that might work.

We all have our phobias, rational or not, and have to deal with them. Good luck dealing with this one.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

nuff said
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    That is what I do. If a human can scare off an attacking black bear by standing tall and acting scary then there should be no question that it would work for a single dog without a pack. Just look at Caesar Milan, he has met plenty of aggressive dogs and all he has to do is look at them to get them to behave.

That said I have never had any problem with a dog when hiking, just around the neighborhood.

When I hike with my daughter I carry a big stick.
    She likes to carry one to. She started me on it actually.
    Seems like the natural thing to do.

As tall as I am, maple, weighs about 2 pounds.
    Sends a message. Dogs get it. Bears too maybe.
    People? Never know with people, but I think it helps.

Hollow points at 900 fps +, works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post

nuff said
    Good answer!
    Any dog that is not under direct control by it's owner can be aggressive. I take what ever action deemed necessary to remain safe.

geek

geek

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++