WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Animal (class of 2010) jnl82381's Avatar

Default What kind of Alc. Stove do you use?

So here is another thread having to do with stoves for the trail.... but before you jump on me and tell me i should have searched the forum and fond my answer instead of creating a new thread....

I did search and I think i have a unique question.

So, i realize that most thru hikers prefer the alc. stoves and if they didn't start with them, they usually finish with them. I learned how to make them about 8 years ago and LOVE them. however, there are many different kinds.

I'm wondering what type is most common among thru hikers?

There is something to be said for simplicity in anything. the more parts you have the more likely something will break or wont work right. That being said, the simplest design would be a no pressure stove, basically some sort of cup that will hold the alc. while it's burning. Boil times would be longer and possibly more fuel needed.

A low pressure stoves are what I use now and have had good luck with it everywhere from the desert southwest, New England, even used it in Iraq. They are fairly easy to make, harder if you use an internal priming one. Boil times are on the lower end but most require a pot stand. no big deal, but, but it's one more thing that can get bent or broken.

Higher pressure stoves, I've just started researching and experimenting with. I like the idea but haven;t found one I love yet. Mostly because they all require external priming.

The mix between the two which I See as a compromise would be the Cat stove which is internal priming no pressure stove until the pot is rested on top creating a low/high pressure effect depending on the size of the holes drilled in the side.

I know there are a lot of other stovers out there, so please, let me know what your experiences are on the trail, what you've seen, and what's worked best for you.

Thanks.

Images

Ion stove.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The first generation StarLyte by Zelph Stove Works (before he had sufficient volume to adopt the "Works" label!). Here's a description of the second generation model, which features a no-spill wick and decent boil times, although not as efficient as the Sgt. Rock's Ion.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Minibull Bongo CAB

I really like using my PackaFeather XL. It allows for flame height adjustment while you are cooking. Although, it can burn things (quickly) if you have it turned up really high, and don't stir near the middle of the pot.

Images

The Etowah II stove is excellent and the alluminum pot holders will keep water boiling for a little bit after the fuel is out which is very nice.

zelph Super Stove in alcohol model, or in white gas model, with a cone from zelph

1 oz.

I carry both, so I got it covered.

. . .

Images

Ion if i was really pinching pennies for fuel and weight.

Supercat for GP. it's just too simple, and needs no stand.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

usualy a Jiffy Heet, or a simon Stove
    If man was man's best freind,
    it wouldn't be a dog eat dog world

Images

Cat stove. Perhaps when I have a little more free time, I'll start experimenting with others. Unless I use that free time to go hiking.

I have used a penny stove for at least 10 years. I have built copies of about every stove that has been designed but I just keep going back to the penny.
    I think you develope cooking skills for whatever stove you use.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

develop ..yikes..happy fingers
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

basically a cat stove, but it's actually made from a small potted meat can. i use a paper hole punch and make two rows of holes just under the rim of the can. prolly' not the most efficient stove, but i don't cook all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    basically a cat stove, but it's actually made from a small potted meat can. i use a paper hole punch and make two rows of holes just under the rim of the can. prolly' not the most efficient stove, but i don't cook all that much.
    x2, although I tinker using alot of Zelph's ideas. Nothing beat's its simplicity and cost.

I started with a Brasslite Turbo IID then switched to a Fancy Feast (catfood) can and now will be using a Caldera UL Compact with MLD 850 Ti mug/pot

All are good choices really; you can simmer with the brasslite, but I almost never do. Brasslite held up well throughout a PCT thru-hike; simmer ring is a bit loose now, but it still works fine.

The fancy feast is the cheapest (virtually free), lighter than the brasslite, and dead simple both to make and to use, seems as efficient at just heating water as the brasslite.

I've just switched to the Caldera UL Compact, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy with this for the combination of lowest total system weight, lowest bulk, most efficient stove (system), and how well it will perform in windy conditions.

Images

Caldera Cone System for Snow Peak Trek 700

Images

i made my own super cat stove... it was my first in a line of DIY projects. it works ok, probably not as good as i would expect but i'm sure that i built it wrong...

I use a Pepsi can stove, adapted from this design on YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt8mNOP2b0 The dimensions in this video are incorrect, however and I modified them to work more efficiently.

Images

Cat Stove and havent looked back
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by AUhiker90 View Post
    The Etowah II stove is excellent and the alluminum pot holders will keep water boiling for a little bit after the fuel is out which is very nice.
    I second this on the Etowah II. Used it on the PCT. Simple, easy, efficient for what it is. And should you damage the stove, the pot holders will fit on a Dole Pineapple can.

Caldera Cone is a neat design, and I'm expecting to see more of them on the trail this year.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++