WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default care and storage of camping gear

So what is the right way to store, clean and care for various bits and pieces of camping gear. My basement is cool and damp. my attic hot and dry, no cool dry place in my house. What's the right way to clean and store a tent, stove issues, clothes, boots, etc, etc.
    thanks!

Images

I have an armour that I like to keep my gear in for that season. If it's not going to be used for a while I hang the bags, put the tents and tarps loosely into cardboard boxes. I found a chest at the Salvation Army (cedar!) that I put loose items in and clothing. Depends on how much crap you got too. You can always hang bags straight from the cieling with some screw in cup hooks. I actually use the cup hooks for alot of things.

Images

And some people say that washing down bags will mess them up. I could be wrong about this but it's probably because they didnt get it dried properly and sun drying doesnt jostly the down around enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    And some people say that washing down bags will mess them up. I could be wrong about this but it's probably because they didnt get it dried properly and sun drying doesnt jostly the down around enough.
    I agree, i've had the same LL Bean 20 degree down bag for 12yrs, using it hundreds and hundreds of times. I wash it with a mild detergent several times a year, tumble dry on low heat and have had no problems.. Bag still has amazing loft, consistant warmth and great compress-ability... Great bag..

On the other hand, I have a newer north face bag, with way less than half the use that has completely lost its loft and is no longer a reliable bag.. So YMMV...

My gear rarely rests longer than a week at a time, but when not in use everything has a place.. Bags are hung, pads are left standing against a wall with valve open, pack is hung, tents are losely packed in totes, filter losely disembled in open baggy, stove disembled in drawer, and remainder of gear is organized in a 4x4x2 cupboard with labeled drawers...

Maybe a bit anal, but I can load a bag and be ready for a trip in less than 10 mins.. Never know when mother nature will put on a show!

Don't store nylon anything in the attic. If it gets hot enough the nylon will emit an odor that you will never get out of it.
    To be totally safe, especially with your expensive gear...you can store it at my house!

geek

Images

I need to get some of those stackable totes, that's a good idea. Should have thought about that. Mabye put some holes in the top for a little air flow.

Totes aren't air tight, unless you buy the real expensive ones, so generally, if you dry your gear well and store it dry, it will be fine..

After drying any fabric gear, I will first place in a plastic bag or garbage bag overnight to check for any moisture before storing..
    Condensation will appear on the plastic bag if any moisture is present.. If clear in the morning I hang or stow it away..

"My basement is cool and damp. my attic hot and dry, no cool dry place in my house."
    Consider getting a dehumidifier for your basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    . My basement is cool and damp. no cool dry place in my house. What's the right way to clean and store a tent, stove issues, clothes, boots, etc, etc.
    thanks!
    Everything anywhere near me is generally cool and damp...LOL
    I have a walk in closet, pure concrete, that has some cedar shelves and cedar doors.
    I run one of those 15 watt fluorescent eco bulbs and a ceiling fan, 24 hours a day in there. It keeps all of my gear,guns, knives, clothes and books etc. from turning into mushrooms.

It's so damp and cool here that CD's develop a fungus and won't read after 4 to six months if left unprotected. Seriously.

Build a little room in the basement and keep it dehumidified by a light or 2.
    Make sure the door is a good fit.

Is it better to hang up down bags rather than leave them lying flat or in a very loose "stuff" sack (about the size of a garbage bag)? What about down jackets - hang them up or let them lie flat?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i store my sleeping bags in comforter bags under the bed, and everything else goes in a cardboard box without a top in the attic. i've never had a problem with doing it this way, and I have lots of gear. I leave my air mattress about half blown up with the valve closed.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++