WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default appy trails tent

Anyone have one or have any experience with the appy trails mark III or V tents? They look like they have more than enough room and are very light. Im thinkin about getting one. http://www.appytrails.com/at_three_man.html

Don't know that I would call these a "tent" versus a shaped tarp. For what they are, they are priced well, but you need to consider bug season in this mix. If you're not experienced at sleeping under a tarp already, you may want to consider a Henry Shires Tarptent --- www.tarptent.com

Good luck with your choice!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Anyone have one or have any experience with the appy trails mark III or V tents? They look like they have more than enough room and are very light. Im thinkin about getting one. http://www.appytrails.com/at_three_man.html
    They look darn good to me as the basis of a versatile system where you could take a skeeter net if you need to and not if you don't. Be sure to add the weight of a groundcloth to your total shelter weight when you're making your calculations.

I'm passing on it for now though because I can get almost the same pitch and coverage with my 10ft square tarp.

Images

MJN,

You do realize there is no floor?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I never looked up the definition of "tent", but seems misleading to call that thing a tent. It's a glorified tarp.

I also don't like singlewalls, provides very good demonstration of global warming. I bought my doublewall tent for about the same price ($100), it has a floor and netting to keep the bugs out and provide vetilation on warm nights.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I never looked up the definition of "tent", but seems misleading to call that thing a tent. It's a glorified tarp.

I also don't like singlewalls, provides very good demonstration of global warming. I bought my doublewall tent for about the same price ($100), it has a floor and netting to keep the bugs out and provide vetilation on warm nights.
    As a scout we used tents with no floors every summer at summer camp. Big canvas things with cots inside! Floored tents and especially the now common "bathtub" floor are a fairly recent thing as such things go.

I'm guessing that OP knows what he's getting into. Unless he's blind or stupid it's pretty clear that there's no floor, just like several other "tents" from other manufacturers.

Images

oh yea, i didnt realize i used the word tent. I know theres no floor and that it is basically a tarp. I figured i'll use some tyvek or a space blanket or two for my ground cloth.

Images

Thanks for the input!

oh yea, i didnt realize i used the word tent. I know theres no floor and that it is basically a tarp. I figured i'll use some tyvek or a space blanket or two for my ground cloth.
    We use the Heat Sheets Blanket for two under our tarps. Durable, cheap, and lightweight.

http://www.rei.com/product/669629

Hike smarter, not harder.

We bought a couple for our scout troop, but haven't had them in any weather yet. Can't beat the weight or price.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

The third guy is going to get wet, unless the door is closed. With the door closed how much condensation will be produced?

oh yea, i didnt realize i used the word tent...
    I was commenting on the website's use of the term "tent"; I don't think they use the word "tarp" on their website, maybe hidden somewhere, but I didn't see it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I was commenting on the website's use of the term "tent"; I don't think they use the word "tarp" on their website, maybe hidden somewhere, but I didn't see it.
    and if you read somewhere on the website, it talks about how when he was young tents didn't have floors in them....

recently spent a couple nights in one, for the price, weight and amount of space its hard to beat.... i had been leaning towards the six moon designs wild oasis but kinda leaning towards this now... it stayed nice and dry despite light rain... decisions decisions...

i would say the markV fits three comfortably but 5 in a pinch...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    and if you read somewhere on the website, it talks about how when he was young tents didn't have floors in them....

recently spent a couple nights in one, for the price, weight and amount of space its hard to beat.... i had been leaning towards the six moon designs wild oasis but kinda leaning towards this now... it stayed nice and dry despite light rain... decisions decisions...

i would say the markV fits three comfortably but 5 in a pinch...
    thanks for the review....cant wait to try it out for myself

Journal Entries
    Images

We got a Mark III. First night I spent in it was on top of about 4 inches of snow, with a Black Lab in it with me, no condensation. I have also spent four nights in it with me, my son, and the dog. Always plenty of room for us, the dog, and all of our gear. The only night I ever had any issue with condensation was a Chattooga River hike where we couldn't keep the lab out of the river. She got in partially wet and we had just a little bit of condensation in the morning, although it was not "raining" on us. We love ours. I don't think it can be beat for the weight vs. room vs. price. We use a large piece of tyvek as a ground cloth.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    We got a Mark III. First night I spent in it was on top of about 4 inches of snow, with a Black Lab in it with me, no condensation. I have also spent four nights in it with me, my son, and the dog. Always plenty of room for us, the dog, and all of our gear. The only night I ever had any issue with condensation was a Chattooga River hike where we couldn't keep the lab out of the river. She got in partially wet and we had just a little bit of condensation in the morning, although it was not "raining" on us. We love ours. I don't think it can be beat for the weight vs. room vs. price. We use a large piece of tyvek as a ground cloth.
    i agree......i have been looking at this tent for awhile(the mark v) and when i had a hell of a deal fall in my lap during trail days, jumped at the chance to buy one.....i am looking forward to trying it out

++ New Posts ++