WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

My wife and I have used various Tarptents above treeline, many times. Tarptents work great up there--certainly no condensation issues!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1forcamping View Post
    What's a good UL solution for above tree line.

Me and my girlfriend are planning out an alternative thru hike for 2011, and were thinking of using bivies.

Any suggestions?
    In the north, don't camp above tree line at all. The environment is too fragile. It's legal if there's enough snow (2'?), but then it's dangerous. Almost every place it's easy to get below tree line to camp. In the Presidential Range (Mt. Wash. NH, etc.) there are AMC huts ($$ or sometimes work for stay) or drop down below tree line to camp.

In the south, I don't know as much, but I understand that there are some AT shelters on top of a few mountains, and the weather is not so fierce. Generally, drop in elevation to camp in milder conditions.

Images

For true above treeline conditions, there are no better tents than Hillebergs - the 2 person Nallo is amazing. However, they are not cheap. On the other hand, they are more durable than any tarptent.

Images

Maybe so, but this an Appalachian Trail forum and the issue of personal shelter above treeline is pretty much hypothetical if not irrelevant as those who are in the know have repeatedly pointed out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Maybe so, but this an Appalachian Trail forum and the issue of personal shelter above treeline is pretty much hypothetical if not irrelevant as those who are in the know have repeatedly pointed out.
    Oh yea - sorry. Buy a Hammock.

I've camped above tree line a couple of times out west where its a different situtation, but even there you shouldn't set up on any vegetation or soil. So, you need to either cowboy camp on a big, flat rock, wrap a tarp around you, have a self supporting tent or a bivy sack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    For good double wall tent look at the TarpTent Scarp 2.

If you want even lighter weight look at TT's single wall 2 person tents.

I've owned two Tarptents and found the (U.S. made) quality excellent and Henry Shires' service is second to none.

Eric
    Try it in an 80 mph wind.
    It's above the tree line. It can rockNroll at any moment any time of the year.
    Some of the guys down this way use Crux tents.I've seen some Black Diamonds and Terra Nova a school in Brazil had, and a NICE brazilian made tube that I can't recall the name of .
    Once in a while you see a rich European setting up a Hilleburg.

If I were into Alpine territory I'd get another Stephensons Warmlite. I can't believe they are still around.
    Once my brain filled in I got a wild idea not to sleep on the ground any longer so I head back down to find a couple nice trees to hang in.

Images

Since it's illegal to camp above treeline, I'll probably just stick with a tarp or hammock. Thanks for the input everyone.

OOOO! Now that's a classic MTV video! Thanks for the link "Baby".

Quote Originally Posted by 1forcamping View Post
    So how do I get through the areas above tree line? Assuming the distance is too great to cover in one day.
    drop down one of the side-trails and get into the trees, find a spot off trail and camp, tarp, hammock there.

its definitely a good way to get around the forbidden or very exposed areas. i would prefer taking lighter gear and hiking a bit more to carrying a heavier sleeping bag, tent, warmer clother....

setting camp late and leaving in the very early morning might also work, esp. if you are not right on the trail but hidden. this will be illegal, so donīt get cought. we got away with it in the whites in november many years ago.

greets
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++