WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Neusiok Trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Neusiok Trail

I'm looking for information on this trail located in eastern NC - has anyone heard of it?

I lived in Greensboro in the early 1970 and fished out of New Bern some. I remember walking on a trail near the water in the national forest there. I believe it was part of the Neusiok Trail. If you Google it you get several hits and should be able to get the info you need to go hike it. Happy Hiking!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Its part of the Mountains to Sea Trail. Its 22 miles long and has 3 shelters along the way. My friend has hiked it about 4 different times. he usually gets pretty wet through some portions that are more like swamps than trails. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...siok_trail.pdf

Images

I hiked it several times while in the Marine Corps and a couple of times since. The last was this trip in 2004. There were only 2 shelters then, but they were still a surprise from my Marine Corps days.

It's a nice mix of beach, deciduous forest, conifer, and pocosin (elevated swamp). Boardwalks and bog bridges cover the worst of the marshy areas, but in the rainy season, you can get some wet feet. Hike it in cooler weather when the foliage is down. Otherwise, the brush can be intense.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I hiked it several times while in the Marine Corps and a couple of times since. The last was this trip in 2004. There were only 2 shelters then, but they were still a surprise from my Marine Corps days.

It's a nice mix of beach, deciduous forest, conifer, and pocosin (elevated swamp). Boardwalks and bog bridges cover the worst of the marshy areas, but in the rainy season, you can get some wet feet. Hike it in cooler weather when the foliage is down. Otherwise, the brush can be intense.

Thanks Bearpaw.. This only a little over an hour from my house and it looks like a good place to go for my first overnight hammocking trip.

More forgiving than being on top of a mountain in the winter anyways...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Thanks Bearpaw.. This only a little over an hour from my house and it looks like a good place to go for my first overnight hammocking trip.

More forgiving than being on top of a mountain in the winter anyways...
    It would make a great cool weather hammock trip. I wish I'd had a hammock back then.

Enjoy it! Call the ranger station and see about getting a map. The office is right outside Havelock, but it's often closed on weekends.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It has 3 shelters now with water pumps. A bit of the trail is on broadwalk.

I always heard to walk in the winter months because the bugs and snakes are hellish during the rainy months.

I would contact the Croatan office for conditions of the trail. Some of the recent rains have collapsed portions of the boardwalk.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 02-02-2010 at 13:16.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

I live 20 minutes from the trail and use it as my testing trail for new gear ( another good excuse to make a cup of hot chocolate with a new stove ).

Overall the trail is in good shape. Some of the board walks are being rebuilt but are usable.

This trail is wet even in the best of conditions. Hiking condtions were ideal this past Sunday and my son and I plan to hike there again this Sunday.

The maps of the trail that I have seen are not that good but the trail is well blazed with small retangular metal stripes nailed to the trees and white round metal disc nailed to tree or round circle of white paint (I believe the round blazes are for the Mountain to the Sea trail system).

I figured I need to start keeping track of just how many boardwalks are on the trail
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I've done several dayhikes on the Neusiok and backpacked it the last two years. The last time was last week. There are always a few muddy spots mostly on the southern half, but it's a beautiful trail. I always contact the Carteret County Wildlife club about current trail conditions. http://www.clis.com/canoe2/ They maintain the trail and are out there quite a bit. This time they let me know that one of the pumps is currently not working.

Journal Entries
    Images

yes, it's wet. especially this year! there is a hiking/outdoor group through "meetup.com" in the greenville area and they just took a trip out there last wknd, you just missed. but from what i hear, they had to modify their original trip due to the standing water/impassable trail.

you are more than welcome to join "trail and river rovers" on meetup!
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

There was a group there last Sunday morning that was loading up to leave when I got there. They had me take a bunch of pictures of the group (they kept handing me cameras to take pictures of them). I was so busy taking pictures of them I forgot to ask where they were from.

I believe the water pump at the Copperhead shelter is the one out of order as it was not working the last time I checked it

I am still planning to be out there Sunday hiking some part of the trail.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

++ New Posts ++