WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SurferNerd, I'm not a member of PETA and I don't care if you eat meat or hunt just seems like you have a warped sad sense of sadistic humor and gain sadistic enjoyment from seeing something harmed. And, when someone pts. it out you try to shrug it off with wry humor.

Isn't that what the military does? It psychologically trains soldiers to view the human enemy as being less or non human, less worthy of life than the one pulling the trigger or dropping the bomb. It makes it easier to take the life of something else because that something else's life is not worth as much as your own or the ones on your side or that the other life really isn't a life at all.

Isn't it also known that many serial killers also abused and tortured animals before they started their human killing sprees?

All adds up to devaluing life! And, then it's made to be a joke? That's how you deal with it?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Isn't that what the military does? It psychologically trains soldiers to view the human enemy as being less or non human, less worthy of life than the one pulling the trigger or dropping the bomb. It makes it easier to take the life of something else because that something else's life is not worth as much as your own or the ones on your side or that the other life really isn't a life at all.
    Uh.... no.

The military teaches you how to recognize threats to the safety of yourself and your friends and that there are many ways to reduce that threat.

Where the hell did you hear that "less or nonhuman" crap?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Old Hiker above posted about bands. We just got the possums in the half shell in southern Missouri a few years ago and I am not sure which species they are. I have one photo of a live one close up. There has been alot of disucssion about them since they were never seen here at all. We never thought we would have armidillos here at all but they are coming north from Texas maybe and here our winters are mild. Until this year.
    As for the posts about running over them, etc. I am not PETA, support hunting and hope the post are needling for fun sarcasm. Eat them, kill them if they are a nuisance, but I cannot imagine deliberately running a vehicle over an animal. And no, I will not wreck a car over an animal that commits suicide, but deliberately running over an armidillo, possum raccon, skunk, turtle, cat, dog, whatever is twisted and cruel.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Smile

One o' these months, I'll get around to posting more pictures...I have at least one of an armadillo on the Florida Trail from when I was there in November.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    We had one that had burrowed underneath our home, under the air conditioner slab to be exact. My father being awesome, took several M80's, tied them together with duct tape, added several bottle rockets to the equation, and mushed all the fuses together. What happened next was hilarious, a black, burned, hairless armadillo scurried out and my dad cemented in the hole.
    What does torturing animals for fun have anything to do with hiking? I don't think your father was "awesome" he seemed to be a idiot because according to you "he cemented himself in a hole."

Keeping my nasty response to myself.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

SurferNerd, I'm not a member of PETA and I don't care if you eat meat or hunt just seems like you have a warped sad sense of sadistic humor and gain sadistic enjoyment from seeing something harmed. And, when someone pts. it out you try to shrug it off with wry humor.

Isn't it also known that many serial killers also abused and tortured animals before they started their human killing sprees?

All adds up to devaluing life! And, then it's made to be a joke? That's how you deal with it?
    I think when someone points it out I change it to wry humor because you can't argue with the past. Unless you have a time machine, it happened. You can't argue beyond that. So for those grudge holding members of this forum, I try and redirect the conversation to avoid beating a dead horse (no pun intended). True about serial killers, maybe you should come hiking with me? I deal with life with a smile.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

OK, I posted one...like I said.* This month, no less...

*See previous comment.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    I think when someone points it out I change it to wry humor because you can't argue with the past. Unless you have a time machine, it happened. You can't argue beyond that. So for those grudge holding members of this forum, I try and redirect the conversation to avoid beating a dead horse (no pun intended). True about serial killers, maybe you should come hiking with me? I deal with life with a smile.
    I think you're funny as heII. Beating a dead horse, indeed!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Whatever anyone says, I think dads + powerful fireworks = awesome to a son. Had he done it right it could have been an instantaneous and humane dispatch of a nuisance animal. In a spectacular fashion no less.

/needs mor m80's

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Whatever anyone says, I think dads + powerful fireworks = awesome to a son. Had he done it right it could have been an instantaneous and humane dispatch of a nuisance animal. In a spectacular fashion no less.

/needs mor m80's
    Shame on you for making me snort coffee out my nose.

I never thought a thread about seeing an armadillo would get this much traction.

I wonder what the PETAs would think about the album cover art for ELP's Tarkus?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

SurferNerd, I don't hold grudges. Would just like to see you cherish life, whatever kind of life more, without doing harm when it's avoidable. Being sadistic or intentionally harmful when it is not needed is not funny. So many better ways to live life - at a higher level.

.....I try and redirect the conversation to avoid beating a dead horse (no pun intended). LOL. I enjoyed that too! Good comeback. True about serial killers, maybe you should come hiking with me? I deal with life with a smile. LOL. I liked that too!

Smiles are great. Humor is good medicine. There is hope for you yet

Images

[QUOTE=Dogwood;964705]

Isn't that what the military does? It psychologically trains soldiers to view the human enemy as being less or non human, less worthy of life than the one pulling the trigger or dropping the bomb. [QUOTE]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

/needs mor m80's
    Thank you. The armadillo left his hole, and we cemented it in to prevent his comeback. He was a danger to the foundation of the air conditioner slab his burrow was under, and we couldn't get him out with sticks, water, or other methods. We tried waiting at night for him to leave, he was still in there at 2am, like he knew we were gonna get him. We tried humanely to remove him to the best of our ability without calling an overpriced "Steve Irwin" to remove it.

SurferNerd, I don't hold grudges. Would just like to see you cherish life, whatever kind of life more, without doing harm when it's avoidable. Being sadistic or intentionally harmful when it is not needed is not funny. So many better ways to live life - at a higher level.

.....I try and redirect the conversation to avoid beating a dead horse (no pun intended). LOL. I enjoyed that too! Good comeback. True about serial killers, maybe you should come hiking with me? I deal with life with a smile. LOL. I liked that too!

Smiles are great. Humor is good medicine. There is hope for you yet
    Not really grudges, just the attitudes of some folks that get angry at things they cannot change or understand. As I spoke to someone last night, I made the wonderful mistake of not explaining the story in full so that it comes off with a better mental image than what it did come off as. I was a SICK lil punk as a teenager, hated the world, hated society, smoked pot, rebelled, partied every night. It drove my Christian upstanding parents insane. I graduated second of my class, and went into the USMC which shaped up my life, and turned me around. Now, I'm a normal person if there's such a thing. I still look back at my fun, crazy, wild deeds and they give good table conversations and a look to how things are different.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    More like lamb, actually.
    I'm impressed !
    In a forum full of bleeding hearts I never expected that response.
    You're right.
    Ever eat porcupine ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    I'm impressed !
    In a forum full of bleeding hearts I never expected that response.
    You're right.
    Ever eat porcupine ?
    Can you get leprosy from eating armadillo?
    I'm up for trying anything.

I ate lion once, it was like chewing on a penny.

Can you get leprosy from eating armadillo?
    I'm up for trying anything.

I ate lion once, it was like chewing on a penny.
    OMG. That's what that funny spot on my arm is
    I ate lion at the Pump Room restaurant, in Chicager, back in 1970.
    It was much like eating a Redwing boot sautéed in garlic/

Images

Found my answer, I'll take it well done please.

Wild armadillos have been known to be infected with the bacterium that causes leprosy (Hansen’s disease). The only cases of transmission from armadillos to humans have occurred in rare incidents in which people ate undercooked armadillo meat.

Ya see.
    " We" have no enemies
    " They" have enemies
    The corporatocracy/military industrial complex that occupies over 700 countries kinda makes people a little irate.
    We've been in Korea since 1953
    Germany since 1945
    Japan since we freed them from oppression.....NUKED
    It's a big game that the elites play.....kinda like football but a little more deadly.

PAWN
    Queen
    Check

Humans are idiots. They kill each other because they can not think for themselves.
    They are told who the "enemy" is.
    Kinda like a pit bull in a pen.You fight. You eat.
    Wrap it in a flag and you're all set.
    After they sent my brother and cousin back in a bag, I took leave from my post in Korea and went to 'Nam.
    I made friends that I am still in contact with some 40 years later.
    One " soldier" even moved to miami and bought a farm down the street from mine.
    Great people.
    Brainwashing is a horrific thing.

BTW. I am a member of PETA, Greenpeace, WWF and every other group you can name, and more.
    I reckon i'll go harvest a tepisquintle tomorrow.
    I let the professional wildlife biologists decide what I can ' harvest"

Sorry. I get pissed.
    Not "over 700 countries" but over 700 bases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++