WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default You won't see one of these on the AT

I have seen several roadrunners this year, but they are really hard to photograph. This morning, I got lucky.
    Shutterbug

Images

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the images you captured. It's the unexpected things I see here that keep me coming back.

You saw a roadrunner in Washington? I didn't realize they lived that far north.

You are right though, roadrunners are hard to photograph since they run so fast. (Must be the coyote chasing them?) For a photographer, there is always a special thrill in catching an animal that you haven't been able to photograph before. Last year we got a really good coyote shot in Yosemite. It wasn't unusual to see one, just to get the photo. Other interesting ones were the flying squirrel, pocket gopher, weasel, and mink and the black foxes.

Images

Sometimes I am surprised by how much I miss because I fail to look. I never knew mink lived in the township where I live until one day I found one which had been struck by a car on a road where I bicycyled in my younger years and on which I drive every week.

Images

There are a bunch of these around where I grew up. It's funny, because you mainly see them running across or beside the road.

Images

Maybe that's because roads are where we spend much of our time.

Images

saw one once on my way down to Trinidad CO. Took me about 30 miles to convince myself of what I saw. the next day I saw Tarantulas migrating across the road. It was a strange road trip to say the least.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

That is another thing you can add to your list !

I think you are the fellow who has that very cool long list of awesome things you have done....

Default There are no roadrunners in Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    You saw a roadrunner in Washington? I didn't realize they lived that far north.

You are right though, roadrunners are hard to photograph since they run so fast. (Must be the coyote chasing them?) For a photographer, there is always a special thrill in catching an animal that you haven't been able to photograph before. Last year we got a really good coyote shot in Yosemite. It wasn't unusual to see one, just to get the photo. Other interesting ones were the flying squirrel, pocket gopher, weasel, and mink and the black foxes.
    I apologize for not making it clear. I am hiking in Arizona for the month of Janaury. This roadrunner was near Green Valley, AZ.
    Shutterbug

That makes sense. On the Arizona Trail or just wandering?

Images

beep beep.

Nice photos.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default Arizona

That makes sense. On the Arizona Trail or just wandering?
    So far, my wife and I have done day hikes in Madera Canyon and in Saguaro National Park. This is our fourth year to spend January in this area. We try to hike six days a week for the month.

In prior years, we have climbed Mt. Wrightson but we may not be able this year because the snow level is too low. Mt. Wrightson is approximatley 10,000 feet and the snow level is now at 6,000. We don't mind the snow, but the warm days and cold nights cause it to turn to ice.

We sometimes hike on the Arizona Trail, but have not done so this year.
    Shutterbug

Do you do any hiking in the Chiricauhuas? Heart of Rocks Trail is a nice one. I was raised in Tucson, and used to do a lot of hiking there. I miss the desert. Right now I really miss the warmth.

Default Chiricauhuas

Do you do any hiking in the Chiricauhuas? Heart of Rocks Trail is a nice one. I was raised in Tucson, and used to do a lot of hiking there. I miss the desert. Right now I really miss the warmth.
    I did a hike in the Chiricauhuas last April. I intend to go back when I get a chance. I have never been anywhere with more mountain lion and bear scat. I didn't actually see either one, but saw a lot of signs.

If one likes lonely hikes, the Chiricauhuas is the place. I hiked a day and a half without seeing another person.
    Shutterbug

Nice photo's Shutterbug!

I used to chase those when I was a kid growing up in New Mexico

Hike smarter, not harder.

Wish they weren't so hard on the quail.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Strange birds. We see them here in TX a lot. But out on the trails I do, they seem to go and come. Others report the same thing. Last year, there were as many as 5 seen at once in this one mile stretch. This year, they weren't there. Like they moved. And yeah, about the time you get within 30 meters of them, you blink and they are 50 meters away. Fast buggers.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

why is the roadrunner in the cartoon as big as an ostrich?
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

:banana

A Historic Moment, Coyote ACTUALLY CATCHES Roadrunner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJW7EF5aVk
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

++ New Posts ++